Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrible food cravings even after you're "full" from your protein shakes. [week post-op]

I'm a week postop as of Monday the 30th. I started my Protein shakes on saturday and even after I'm full and everything I am so hungry still. I crave food in the worst way. Am i alone?

I hate it, It takes all my willpower not to eat. My stomach hurts and I feel like i have hunger pains from not eating. Im so afraid of slipping and eating something to hurt myself.

Any tips ?

First it is probably acid. Right after surgery you should be on a PPI go control the acid which feels just like hunger.

Second it can take some time for the grehlin to exit your system. Follow your plan and be strong.

It could also be head hunger. It takes determination. It usually gets better in a few days.

Yep, each week is an improvement on the last. Hunger was a problem for me - I thought my sleeve had "failed". Hunger is not a problem now. I have to remember to eat!

I am 3 weeks post op and have been hungry since my surgery. You are definitely not alone, thank goodness for this app, as it is good support for me knowing I'm not alone. I am taking one day at a time and keeping the end result in my forefront of thought, and that is a healthier me! Hang in there! We got this!

You are not alone! I wish i had some tips for you but i am going through the exact same thing. It's hardest when i am around others. Last night a friend thrww a game nite and there was cheesecake, chicken, meatballs, mac and cheese, etc but i couldnt eat a bite. Very hard.

We'll get through this though, i think it'll help once we can eat puree foods. I plan to male a big pot of chili and another of marsala (sans the rice) plus baby foodto getme through until solid foods.

The only thing preventing me from eating is my friend toldme a story about a man who immediately went to McDonald's as soon as he was released from the hospital from having a lap band. He got something big, like a Big Mac and large fry and shovelled it down. Supposedly that ruptured his stomach and he had to go to the hospital where he bled out and died,

I don't know if that's true or not, but i don't want to risk eating and find out.

I agree with mistysj above - see if it goes away with an acid reducer. I don't take one daily, only when I feel it.

Stay on track with the doc's plan - this is an important time. Redirect to a different activity than eating...go for a walk, call a friend, anything to keep you out of the kitchen.

Best of luck to you!

I'm a week out too & experience head hunger so this is nice to hear!