Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Payment With Credit Card

I made the down payment for surgery, Optifast, shipping and consult fee by Mastercard but Dr. Cobourn's office does not accept the final payment two before surgery on credit card. They asked for it by daft or money order or certified cheque only.

I paid for everything with my CC, surgery, flights, hotel, cabs. I got about $200 worth of gift cards as a result of the points I collected from it.

I pretty much pay for everything with the CC to collect points for it.

I used Dr. Coburn's clinic. The card I wanted to use did not have a high enough limit so I sent them 3 CC authorizations for the total amount and they were fine with that.

Totally worth it,

Andrew

I made the down payment for surgery, Optifast, shipping and consult fee by Mastercard but Dr. Cobourn's office does not accept the final payment two before surgery on credit card. They asked for it by daft or money order or certified cheque only.

That sucks, I paid for all mine with Visa at Dr. Coburn's clinic in Febraury. I suspect they were getting nailed for merchant fees, which in there case ould be about 2% of the bill.

Andrew

Hi Gaffer and JBL,

Thanks so much for the response.. I also paid for the initial costs on my MC, I called about 4 wks ago and they said that I could put it on my card but only in person. I was planning on going last week since I only live 1 hr away, the benefit of putting it on my MC was worth the drive. But during my phone consult with them last week, I mentioned that I was coming in to pay it, and they said they no longer will do that.. Boy was I pissed, I made all the arrangements for it to go on my MC and now they say I can't. I really don't think that is fair saying Yes and then changing their minds. If they told me yes I feel they should still honour that and change it for the newbies.. I had my initial consult the beginning of January and they said it was OK.. Do you think I should put up a fuss over this?? It's alot of Air Miles that I wanted. I don't know what to do now.. Thanks for your responses, I see that Gaffer got to use his in Feb. But JBL they let you know because you arern't till May.. I go April 12th.. Maggie_c

I put all of my $9000 on my c.card when I went to TJ with Dr.Ortiz. They had no problem with it..

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/154/160

5'8''

Maggiec: I would push it especially since you were told you could in the first place. I on the other hand was informed right from the start because I asked how I could pay and they told me what their requirements were. Maybe you would need to get pre-authorizations from MC like Andrew mentioned. Just call them and explain your situation. If I was getting airmiles on my MC then, yes, I would push it. Hope this helps.

Hi Maggie,

I would put up a fuss because for many people they are financing the procedure on their CC. How do they expect everyone to just hand over a large check like that - we can't all do that. Especially that they told you you could - I can understand if they feel they have to change their policy, but not for people who contracted with them before the change - not fair!

Susan

Maybe you could use those convenience checks they all send out periodically, write the checks to yourself, deposit the money into your bank account, and then get cashier's checks or write a personal check with the money.

Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor, this is just an idea I had before I found out that my surgery would be covered by my insurance.

Hey, Thanks for all the great replies..

The office told me to get one of those cheque's from the cc company, but when I called the cc they said no problem with putting that much on my cc, but if I got the cash advance cheque it does not go towards airmiles, so why bother then. I have the money, but I was looking forward to that money in airmiles too... and if those who had their surgeries in Feb could put it on theirs, then I should be able to also since they JUST changed their policy....I think I am going to call them tomorrow and let them know that I am not happy since they did say that I could pay with my cc. It's worth the try.. Thanks again everyone, Maggiec_38

In that case, I would absolutely make a point of calling about it. They told you it was okay. I hope you have the name of who you spoke to, it might help.