Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shake suggestions?

Hi there! I'm searching for the best Protein shake with more than 15mg of Protein. I'm having The sleeve performed 3.28 with Dr Cabrera and need to get my BMI from 54 to 49. Hopefully something sold at Costco!

I use lean body ready made Protein Shakes, they're 45g per serving but I've only found them on Amazon. Still they are the absolute best tasting shakes out there, I couldn't finish any of the other ones I found in stores, or any powdered shakes. These are great and with the high Protein content one a day was more than enough and if you're newly post-op it'll fill you up and you can sip it through two meals honey! It's a good one and a good size.

Isopure powders have done the trick for me, 50g in a 12oz drink. Makes the 75g a day target pretty easy to hit so far. The Isopure drinks are 40g to a 20oz bottle, but would suggest tracking down a variety pack (we had to find one online) to find flavors you like the best.

Thanks for that, interesting info.

At the moment, I am still early in the process an only on pre-selected softs at an ounce every two hours. Tend to use the shakes or drinks in-between for some variety from the Water. So re: splitting, how long a period would you think is necessary to spread a drink over to make sure your body is capable of taking advantage of it?

Edit:

Ran across this link that implies the 30g in a sitting limit is more related to post workout muscle repair:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/how-much-protein-can-the-body-absorb

Edited by Koofka

This has been incredibly helpful, thank you! Like I stated in my original post - I have to get my BMI down to 49 from 54 and I'm basically going to follow the Pre-Op diet of Protein Shakes and salads with olive oil and vinegar. I just want to find an affordable shake that is already made so I don't have to mix it myself. I'm pretty confident I can lose the 30 or so extra pounds between now (well the day after Christmas) and 3.20. Right? I can do that....yep I can! :) So glad I found this app!

Ok next question - it's not a bad thing to have TOO much Protein, correct? I mean - 30mg vs 15mg - as long as it's over 15mg I'm ok right? I cannot see any downside to getting shakes at 30mg but wanted to be sure.

Ok next question - it's not a bad thing to have TOO much Protein, correct? I mean - 30mg vs 15mg - as long as it's over 15mg I'm ok right? I cannot see any downside to getting shakes at 30mg but wanted to be sure.

I think you mean grams and not mg. 30 g of protein is about the maximum a woman of average height and frame performing an average amount of activity can absorb in a 2-3 hour period. For men, this number is 40 g. My suggestion is to shoot for the optimal amount if you can. Clearly, someone who is a week out from surgery will still be thinking about drinking 2-3 ounces at a time, but someone who is 5-6 months out can start to think about optimizing their protein supplementation for best results. You can really start playing with higher protein numbers the more active you are, especially if you are looking to put on lean muscle growth.

Yup, premier shakes are very good, especially when chilled in the fridge. My wife and I have one every morning. Woe is the day when one of us forgets to restock the fridge with the shakes. And there was much gnashing of teeth. Lol. I have just switched to a new post workout shake today called Hydrobuilder from Optimum Nutrition. It has 30 g of Protein plus a ton of other good ingredients for protein synthesis (aka building lean muscle) such as 13.5 g bcaa complex, 5 g beta alanine, 5 g creatine and 2.5 g betaine. The reason I switched to this one is I read a ton of good reviews on it from people who were taking Syntha 6 (that was my previous goto post workout powder). One of the main reasons I switched is also because of a big reduction in sugar carbs. Syntha 6 was a good powder and served me well for about a year.

I have the Premier Protein shakes from costco - not bad if you drink them cold. I can't stomach them warm. I also have a giant tub of Dream Protein. I bought the Oster My Blend personal blender and I put in a scoop of the chocolate Dream Protein, 8oz of Water and about 8 ice cubes. It tastes like a yummy milk shake. It only has 86 calories, 3.4g of carbs and 20 g of protien!

Edited by NoMoreChubby