Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded and very emotional

Hello everyone I am new to posting but I have been reading all of your post for about one month. I was banded on March 14 and I'm four days post op. I am on clear liquid diet for 2 weeks.... when i say clear i mean clear...only Water, sugar free Jello and popsicles, and beef or chicken broth. The dietician instructed on stopping liquids 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after ....drinking more liquids....I understand this concept after actually eating... but now what i'm doing is having either popsicle or chicken broth at meal times and Water in between. I am VERY hungry i feel my stomach growling all the time and have been really sad although my husband is extremely supportive and trying to cheer me up. I know why I had the surgery and I know I will be glad, but right now I'm hungry and weak. The pain is not bad... I've had much worse. I have 10 more days of clears and then i can start on soft Protein. I am a home health nurse and I had planned on going to work Monday, but I am very tired and drained and wondering how long any of you stayed off work and if you went back to work on clears how did you do.

I have also read alot of you were able to start on pureeds after 48 hours, but I paid 13800 out of pocket and I go by the book and also I want the band to work for me.

I lost 18 pounds before surgery and have not weighed again. I'm thinking I might weight until all this liquid crap is over and hopefully see a big accomplishment. Well thank you for taking time to read me vent, but if anyone would know how i feel and help me get throught this tough time it would be all of you.

hey i was banded on 2/22 and I know it seems like forever to be on liquids

but it will get better I promise I was put on a liquid diet for three weeks

and when i went back two weeks are surgery he said I can now move to

the mushie stage so give yourself time to heal

you were only banded 4 days ago you still have alot of swelling

just hang in their it will get better I have lost 25lbs since my surgery

so it will be worth it in the long run

don't forget slow and steady wins the race

Bsoutherngirl, I was banded the same day as you. I am having the very rumbly tummy too, but I think it's the gas from surgery. I'm not physically hungery but a little head hungery. I am also on Clear Liquids same as you. I find it helpful to walk when the feeling is getting to me. Try to stay strong and if it gets to be too much call your Dr or nutritionist they may suggest adding something like a Protein Shake. Best of luck.

I know how you feel, I too was self pay as were lots of us. I was on liquids one week, then to mushies on second week, third week I could have fish and fourth week on to regular foods. Just stick to what your doc suggests because they are all different and expect different things. Good luck and you'll do great.

Thanks for your help...I'm feeling stronger today...I think I'm just having food withdrawls...you never know how much you like food until you stop eating :hungry:...well good luck to all of you too.

Can you have Sports Water with electrolytes and Vitamins? What about Pedialyte (for babies when they have diarhea)? All are clear liquids. Sounds to me like you just need to juice up your system.

I too went through what you are going through. I had 2 wks clear, 2 wks, full liquids, 2 weeks soft. It's a very emotionally draining time. So many things go through your head..why did I do this is the one I always asked my self. It's even harder when you have to cook for a family and EVEN harder when your hubby orders pizza! LOL But you just have to reach DEEEEP down inside and tell yourself to be strong and you will make it. It's not forever like it seems. The time will pass and you'll be onto something better than broth. Creamed Soups will be the best thing ever once you can have them. LOL!! You can do it girl..just find the strength to deal. Good luck to you!

Stacy

My doctor was very strict about my diet. 10 days prior to surgery, I had to go on a liquid diet with two cups of either cottage cheesse or yogurt per day. I had to drink 3 Atkins shakes per day as well. This prepared me for the increase in Protein intake and also adjusted my body to a different way of nutrition so that post op it wasn't such a shock.

Of course, now, post op, I did the two weeks liquids, two weeks full liquids and now pureed food. My surgery was on 2/16. I have lost a total of 32 lbs. and feel great.

I talk to my nutritionist regularly and my doctor's office is also great. We have support groups monthly.

Life couldn't be better! :clap2:

I was banded 2/23. I was on full liquid after surgery. I understand your misery. I was so depressed and would cry because I felt like I could eat but was instructed not to eat. This time does seem to drag on, but it will pass soon, I promise.

Hi,

I was also banded on 3/14. I feel the same way. It is a tramatic experience and now there are lots of changes to get used to. I haven't been too hungry because of pain and nausea. I'm sure it will get worse. We just need to lean on as much support as we can get.........from this board, your Dr.'s support group and family and friends.

I got lucky, the girl in the same room as me in the hospital was banded 4 years ago, lost 130 lbs. and was in because her band slipped. At first I couldn't believe I was in with someone that had complications! But it turned out to be the best thing ever, we talked all day about her experiences. She gave me so much good advice. The best being, "no matter what I have been through, it was the best thing I've ever done and would do it over again tomorrow!"

Stay Positive!

All of the above is great advice. You will get through this couple of weeks and the scale will smile at you. My advice to you would be to add heavy distraction. Re-watch your favorite movies (especially if they are funny), read a good book, knit, or do something else with your hands, clean out a junk drawer, etc. It will make the time go faster and you'll be back to solid food before you know it.

My surgery is scheduled for the 21st, I'm trying to gather all the items needed. I'm having a hard time getting my hands on liquid Gas-X. I checked Wal-Mart, Walgreens and CVS. No luck. Can anyone tell me where they got theirs at?

Thanks!

eclipse

Hi Eclipse, I can't remember actually seeing liquid Gas-X. Most banded folks have recommended the Gas-X thin strips. I bought a couple of boxes of those (within about 3 cents in price between Target and Walmart) to have in the cabinet for post-op.

Addendum: Nope, just went to look and all I could find online are:

Soft gels

Fasttabs

Tablets

Thin strips

I thank everyone for their post. I am 4 days post-op and already having a had time on clear liquids.One More day to go then on to full fluids. My stomach is growling somthing awful..I couldn't even sleep last night it was so loud. Today am felling very tired and "spacey". Tried to go out shopping and only lasted 1/2 hour. I do feel better now just knowing I am not the only one..Thanks.. Am I just pushing myself too fast ? Also having a hard time getting my meds in. Crushing and adding to crystal lite but I am gagging. any suggestion?

hi gang. i do not have surgery date yet. am going to a meeting tomorrow night. I opted out of GBS and am hoping for the best. I live in a new town, new job, no family within 100 miles. Concerned about support. I am really going to need you ya'll! God bless ya big time.