Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

Just before I was scheduled for my surgery (early August) I had a diverticulitis attack that postponed my surgery a couple of weeks. I recovered and

I got my lapband August 26, 2013. I was told it might not happen due to previous hiatal hernia surgeries and how they were done so I wasn't sure when I woke up if I would even have a band. I was very excited when Dr. Fusco told me he was able to repair the hernia AND give me the lapband.

Luckily I have not had many episodes of trouble swallowing or throwing up. I can even swallow regular pills. I am blessed. Five weeks into the learning process I again had a bad diverticulitis attack that put me in the hospital for 4 days. Back to liquids AGAIN. It took me several weeks to bounce back from this attack so I mostly did liquids and full liquids during this time. Thank goodness for those Protein Drinks. When nothing tasted good I fell back on them to survive. I started out at 216 for most of 2013, got down to 202 just before surgery. (I retired and lost 10lbs. the first 2weeks I was home).

I am now at 179lbs but because of my illness I'm not sure what has gotten me to that point. I still only eat 4oz per meal as instructed but I sometimes eat what I shouldn't because I don't really feel like eating. I had to go back in the hospital AGAIN December 2nd to have a Colon re-sectioning to remove 12" of damaged colon. It's been a rough road and I can't say completely LapBand style. Hopefully, after the new year, when my incision has healed (got an infection-back on meds, no appetite) I can get back on the band wagon and continue on my Lifestyle journey. I can't wait to get back to exercise but at this point I can't lift more than 5lbs and walking is very slow and steady.

I'm hoping that the people here at BariatricPal can give me the encouragement I need to continue.

Sounds like you have been a very sick lady. The weight is coming off and could very well be more the illness and not the band. Its still coming off. Most important thing is to stay as healty as you can, ie plenty of fluids and Proteins and Vitamins. Exercise when you are able and follow all of your doctors instructions.

Wow! What a difficult road you have had! I hope that you are able to heal quickly and completely so that you can continue on with your healthy lifestyle changes. Hang in there! I am pulling for you!

Thanks for the messages. I am not giving up on this at all, just have to get a little more healthy before I really concentrate on my band journey.

Maybe you have lost weight because of your health problems, but now you are recovering.

A lot of people lose weight when they are ill, but gain it back when they recover.

I think your band will help you avoid it.

You can resume your journey to health and target weight. You are not alone,you have a friend, your band, to help you.

Glad you are here! What a time of it -- you have such a great attitude and you are on your way to health. Thank goodness you addressed these serious medical issues and have a band now so you will be looking at a healthy happy future!

Dear Chloesmom, I hope that you are healing well. You have gone thru a lot. Diverticulitis is a real bitch. My sister-in-law had that and was very sick. But, I think that was,also, when she found that she had celiac, have you been tested for that? It runs in my husband's family, and my son has been diagnosed, too. We all stay away from gluten in our family, now! Best wishes, I wish you a better health into the New Year. Karen...aka..kll724