Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what foods are you able to eat after surgery and ones you can never eat again

I have surgery Tuesday. I worry after surgery I will not be able to eat the things I enjoy again in moderation. Ready for new life but don't want to never be able to eat them again. ( pizza, steak, bread). Please chime in and let me know how your diet as progressed with time. I like the restriction but still want to enjoy some things.

I'm Monday so no personal experience but a friend is 4 months out and he eats everything, just not much of it. His advice to me is to eat slowly, and pay attention to your sleeve. He gets one warning that he is full and if he ignores it is miserable for hours.

Always start with protein..rule #1. I was told to stay away from eking calories: popcorn, chips, junk Snacks. ( popcorn is my ultimate favorite )...

When all is said & done (recovery wise), 65 GMS Protein a day. That's my doctors recommendation. Currently I'm post-op day 12 and will be on liquids until this Thursday so my protein level is at 40GMS..will move up slowly.

Everyone's physician has a different program buts that's mine and I went to a Center for Excellence. Hope this helps?

I am 9 months post op and I can eat anything. I started having steak about 3 months out. Hubby and I love steak but we share a 5 oz filet. We have one every week with a nice bottle of red wine. We steam up some broccoli and he has a baked potato with it. I Sometimes have piece of a small potato or sweet potato but its not hardly worth making me since I only eat a bite or two. It's not off limits though.

I had my first pizza yesterday. I could have much sooner but I have chosen to avoid breads and carbs till the end of the year. I gave in and had 1 piece of thin crust yesterday, and yes, it was a good as I remember. It was a small piece but I enjoyed every bite of it and don't regret it. I have not had a sugary dessert except one bite of one that hubby and I had on vacation. It was really good but it was enough.

There is nothing you won't be able to eat. If you follow your plan 85% of the time, your plan will work for you.

I have surgery Tuesday. I worry after surgery I will not be able to eat the things I enjoy again in moderation. Ready for new life but don't want to never be able to eat them again. ( pizza, steak, bread). Please chime in and let me know how your diet as progressed with time. I like the restriction but still want to enjoy some things.

I eat pizza sometimes but it's super thin crust and I might get 1-2 small pieces until I'm done. I have eaten beef but not steak, however I do not think I'd have a problem with it if I did eat it. And trust me when I tell you this.. bread will become increasingly unimportant to you because the second it touches your stomach it blows up and you cannot eat hardly any of it. At least not at first.

I am 9 months out and can eat anything. More than a couple teaspoons of ice cream will make me sick to my stomach as will anything too sweet. But I have 1 or 2 Cookies or chocolates and stomach handles that. pizza and Mexican are fine though only 1 slice pizza. Chili is my goto food. I could not eat more than ounce of solid meat until about 2-3 months but now 3-4 ounces can do. I still work on eating slowly. That's my biggest challenge. I never drink and eat together which I have gotten used to. I can eat anything I choose but I choose not to. I focus on Protein for all meals and Snacks. I try to keep sugar grams very low. If I have sugar it's got to be worth it like for a Lindt chocolate or homemade chocolate chip cookie. You can see my food diary on MFP. I track religiously. My ID is kenmj11 if you want to send me a friend request to see my diary.

I'm Monday so no personal experience but a friend is 4 months out and he eats everything, just not much of it. His advice to me is to eat slowly, and pay attention to your sleeve. He gets one warning that he is full and if he ignores it is miserable for hours.

This is very sound advice. I wouldn't say miserable for hours. Maybe it feels like hours but if I get too full I take a small sip of Water to loosen things up a bit and I STOP EATING (this is obvious but a lot of us have food addictions and wont). About 20-30 minutes later I'll resume.

You'll get used to it taking you hours to finish a meal.

During my pre-op phase, I was also worried that I'd never have my favorites again after surgery. But, that's just another one of the myths about this procedure. Generally speaking, you'll be able to eat what you liked eventually, but in smaller portions. Then the question becomes Should You Eat That? The real test comes when you want those potato chips but SHOULDN'T have them (they are slider foods! but so delicious! :) )These are questions I must ask every single day as I make my food choices. (I for one cannot have kettle chips or RItz crackers in my house or I will chow down!) I have explored what foods I can eat and what make me sick, and I've learned that it's all about positive food choices for my goal to lose weight. I don't want to have gone through this for nothing. I'm at my 3-month mark post-op and don't feel like I have to deny myself anything - it's more that I'm making choices and get full so fast that it becomes a non-issue. At this point, I can't eat baked potatoes and bready sweets make me super sick.

Oh and last night I found out that prime rib will be our main course at Christmas -- that will be my first steak since surgery. I already warned my mom that I'll be able to maybe eat 3 bites but I'll take my leftovers and enjoy them the next day (and the day after that...)

I am 9 months post op and I can eat anything. I started having steak about 3 months out. Hubby and I love steak but we share a 5 oz filet. We have one every week with a nice bottle of red wine. We steam up some broccoli and he has a baked potato with it. I Sometimes have piece of a small potato or sweet potato but its not hardly worth making me since I only eat a bite or two. It's not off limits though. I had my first pizza yesterday. I could have much sooner but I have chosen to avoid breads and carbs till the end of the year. I gave in and had 1 piece of thin crust yesterday, and yes, it was a good as I remember. It was a small piece but I enjoyed every bite of it and don't regret it. I have not had a sugary dessert except one bite of one that hubby and I had on vacation. It was really good but it was enough. There is nothing you won't be able to eat. If you follow your plan 85% of the time, your plan will work for you.

Yep. This is truth.

I can eat anything. Nothing has ever made me sick since the first couple of months post-op. BUT... You must eat slowly, and listen to your sleeve. Stop eating when you are full, or actually, not-quite-full. Focus on lean Proteins and nutrient-packed vegetables. Just because you CAN eat something doesn't mean you SHOULD! That is the hardest part for me, six months out. I have to make conscious choices to avoid snacking and grazing.

I'm 6 months out & there's nothing I've come across that I makes me sick or that I physically can't tolerate. I was never a pizza person, so that's not a big deal for me. I was a huge bread & potato eater, but that's been an easier adjustment than I expected. It seems to me like it's easier to make good choices now. Partly it's because of the reduced volume, but also I feel pretty motivated by my progress. If I really want a taste of something I have it, but I don't go off the deep end eating a ton of non-nutritious crap that will fill my sleeve & not benefit my body.

It seems to me like it's easier to make good choices now. Partly it's because of the reduced volume, but also I feel pretty motivated by my progress. If I really want a taste of something I have it, but I don't go off the deep end eating a ton of non-nutritious crap that will fill my sleeve & not benefit my body.

Yes, this!

I'm two months out tomorrow & I have found that I can tolerate just about anything... Haven't attempted Desserts so much except a small slice of pumpkin pie on thanksgiving which was fine. The only things that I've had issues with were overly greasy fried food- (which I tried once). I used to like those wasabi peas for a snack but those came back & not in a good way... Woke up coughing from inhaling unpleasantness, lol. I'm really happy that everything else seems to be fine, including sushi and also pizza, which I'll treat myself with but it needs to be thin crust & the good coal fired kind...just one slice though. If you're going to have it, make it worthwhile!