Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I Was Banded 4 Days Ago!

I understood there were going to be gas pains. I walk my dog in the morning, I park far away from the entrance at work, and I make sure I'm mound throughout the day. However, the gas pains I am experiencing are awful! I'm taking gas-x, phazyme, drinking peppermint tea, nothing seems to ease the pain. It hurts to take a breath. Any ideas?!?

Unfortunately if you are doing all that and nothing is working it will just have to work its self out. Call your doctor maybe they can give you something stronger.

Hello. I had my surgery on the 5th and experienced all the shoulder and gas pains. I didnt start taking anything til yesterday, but day of and couple days after, i just let my body get rid of the gas on its own. We are still newly banded so take it easy on yourself. Good luck!!

Try a heating pad. I didn't have that much problem, but I heard it helps a lot. Good luck and this will pass soon.

I had terrible gas for a long time after surgery - a good 2-3 weeks. I slowly got better, but it also hurt to take a breath. It will go away…..in a bit of time. Once it's gone, you'll forget just how bad it was :D

Thank you all so much! I've never felt like such a wimp! I've had to leave work early the past two days. I think sitting up right for several hours is making the gas worse, even with walking the halls throughout the day. I'm just going to suck it up and keep my eye on the prize!!

I had surgery on the 21st and it does take quite a while for the gas to relieve itself. i am about 2 1/2 weeks out and I think my body is still adjusting to something different. Gas pains in shoulder are definitely gone but do have an upset stomach from gas still.

KC, you are no wimp -- I'm surprised you are back at work so fast and walking doggies is harder than just walking yourself -- take it Easy!

Aw thank you! To be fair, I'm walking a small, well behaved dog so it's not like she's pulling me around the neighborhood. I just use it as incentive to move! I just never thought this gas pain would be so bad! A heating pad is helping so much thank goodness!

I am also 4 days post op. And today was truly one of my worst day. The stuck feeling in my chest. where everyone says that its due to being swollen. And that I hadn't been hydrating my self properly. But today..I got right on that. popsicles, warm tea, pureed Soup..Seem to do ok. But I appreciated all the helpful encouraging words from everyone.

Oh wow. I've been lucky to not have the "stuck feeling" in my chest yet. I'm over Jello and broth! Ready to start on the mushies!!!

Mushies are not getting me all that excited..but I know its a step that I have to take. I did puree some vegetable Soup tonight...Um...GAG! the gritty texture..It took everything in my power to get it down..lol I wish you the best..stay in touch.

Sicerely,

Lapbanchic73 :D

Oh my gosh, that doesn't sound appetizing at all! I'm looking forward to runny grits, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Thank you all so much! I've never felt like such a wimp! I've had to leave work early the past two days. I think sitting up right for several hours is making the gas worse, even with walking the halls throughout the day. I'm just going to suck it up and keep my eye on the prize!!

This may sound weird but I found a lot of gas came out when I laid flat in bed. I laid on my right side for 10-15 minutes then did the same on my left side. A good bit came at once. I'm 6 days post and still have a good bit of pressure. I know this because the cut off sweatpants I'm wearing were baggy pre and I have to pull them down at my hips because the elastic is putting pressure on my belly.

I to have felt better laying down and the gas..did disperse better. I still have the pain pressure in my shoulder and neck..but that's getting better. Good luck on your journey Coach....Have a Merry Christmas