Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouverite considering Lap-banding

I have just started looking into lap-banding and wanted to get people's advice.

I am 35 and 270lbs, my BMI is right at 40. I have had a number of sports-related surgeries on my knee and shoulder which have dramatically reduced my activity level. I hope that if I can drop 50-60lbs the pressure on the joints will be enough less that I will be able to exercise more.

I have found a Toronto clinic which is around $16k for the procedure, and have looked at some overseas options (India $7k, Mexico $10k).

I am somewhat unsure of the way to go. I saw that some Albertans have gotten money back from their Provincial medical after getting the surgery done in Toronto. Has anyone gone this route from BC?

Cost is certainly a consideration, if there are folks who have been overseas and have good experiences I don't have much hesitation about doing it myself.

Formerly Vancouverite, now Okanagan resident here.

I had my surgery done in Surrey, Dr Leung. There is also a surgeon in White Rock. If you do a search here you will find a thread with both their addresses and phone numbers.

I also wrote a few threads, I will search for you, about my guy Dr Leung.

I am glad I went locally as I can get my fills done locally and my surgeon is closer if I have any difficulties.

I am however jealous of the care the people get from Toronto. We just don't have that kind of place in Vancouver YET! I am sure it is coming, but not soon enough for me.

I was also 280, bmi about 40, now 60 pounds less and feeling fantastic.

Good luck with your search.

I will see what I can dig up for you.

Paula

Cost 12,500. last year anyway.

Fills - free

Can be deducted on income tax and I got a 1,200 return as I did not stay overnight...

Good luck with your search, let us know what you decide.

I am happy with my care. I have stated before that Dr Leung hasn't the best bedside manners, but he is good at what he does, surgery. There is talk of him retiring, but he will have someone take over his practise I am sure.

Thanks for the replies so quick. I am really leaning towards Mexico, and having a BC doctor do the post-op fills.

(edit...wait I just read that it was $12k for your operation which is a darn sight cheaper than the 16-17k for Toronto. Mexico would only be a savings of 2-3 thousand after the cost of the trip)so that might make the difference in choice.)

Mainly its because of the price, I have read a lot from folks who had good experiences in Mexico.

I got stuck in a hospital there (private of course) when I tore some ligaments in my knee during a competition. I found the quality of care to be far superior to what I have experience in BC so don't have a lot of concerns in that regard.

If there are BC doctors who will do fills (for a reasonable price) even if they don't do the banding, and are available for post-op care it would be about perfect.

Thanks for the replies so quick. I am really leaning towards Mexico, and having a BC doctor do the post-op fills.

Mainly its because of the price, I have read a lot from folks who had good experiences in Mexico.

I got stuck in a hospital there (private of course) when I tore some ligaments in my knee during a competition. I found the quality of care to be far superior to what I have experience in BC so don't have a lot of concerns in that regard.

If there are BC doctors who will do fills (for a reasonable price) even if they don't do the banding, and are available for post-op care it would be about perfect.

That is where it gets sticky for us BCers. I am pretty confident also with the care in Mexico, but you need to find soemone to do your fills before you decide. I'm pretty sure Dr. Leung will not do fills with other patients.

But phone Leungs office and the guy in White Rock. Perhaps you will get lucky.

You will probably get a sooner date if you go to Mexico, I think it took me about 6 months from getting a referral from my gp to the actual surgery.

But I am sure pleased with my experience.

(edit...wait I just read that it was $12k for your operation which is a darn sight cheaper than the 16-17k for Toronto. Mexico would only be a savings of 2-3 thousand after the cost of the trip)so that might make the difference in choice.)

Ya, addend.

I just reread your post. Ya, I agree, how much would you REALLY be saving by going to Mexico, especially if you have to pay for your fills, IF you can even find someone. I am not trying to sway you either way, there are a lot of people happy with their Mexico trip, but I did read one post of an woman who needed a new band, erosion and she had to pay all over again for a redo. So I sure feel safer with a local guy. Also, we can deduct the cost of our surgery, I will find out soon, as tax season approaches how much of that I will get back. Could be up to 3 grand, so if I subtract the 1200 and the 2-3000 or whatever it is. It could end up looking pretty ok. WELL WORTH IT IN MY MIND.

Dr Leung has his quirks, he is ESL, he isn't the most supportive emotionally, but I can handle him. He is a cut to the chase kind of guy. don't know of anyone who had the guy in Ladner. Can't remember his name.

I am also on a group of Leung's patients you have to be added to this closed board, but you can ask a lot of questions there.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/bcbandits/?yguid=193628067

Good luck. I was SO where you are 8 months ago....

I had mine done by Dr.Coburn in Toronto and I could not be happier with the procedure or the care that I got from them.

I don't think that BC has anything to recoupe some of the costs, but I am from AB, so I cant be 100% sure.

One thing that I liked about TO was that when you get the band done there you have some assurances that if there were a problem with your band, ie slip, erosion, leak in port, tubing or band they will look after it for you. I have also read the horror stories about people who have problems with thier band and they have no recourse with thier surgeons.

Finally, with the TO clinics, you are able to get fills either at thier clinic or through thier network of fill providers. From wht I have seen, both TO clinics have people in many major cities. Not the same case for those who got to Mexico.

food for thought. What ever you do make sure that you have your after care lined up ahead of time no matter where you go.

Andrew

Ya, addend.

Dr Leung has his quirks, he is ESL, he isn't the most supportive emotionally, but I can handle him. He is a cut to the chase kind of guy. don't know of anyone who had the guy in Ladner. Can't remember his name.

quote]

thanks again,

I can deal with that, I had a number of orthopaedic surgeries and always picked the best mechanic...vs. the most pleasant one. There are other outlets to get support from.

I can deal with that, I had a number of orthopaedic surgeries and always picked the best mechanic...vs. the most pleasant one. There are other outlets to get support from.

right on. I heard years ago that the best surgeons often have the worst bed-side manners...

But if you do go local, DO look into the guy in Ladner also.

Dr Leung's secretary, Evelyn is really good for general information. You could call her right now and she'd be able to tell you how long a waiting list you'd be looking at.

Good luck my dear. Sad how few options we Western Canadians have at the moment.

Gaffer, I never heard that there was a list of BC doctors who would do fills. THAT is interesting and opens up a whole other option for BC Bandsters.

Thanks for that. I'd love to see a list of BC professionals who will do fills.

Gaffer, I never heard that there was a list of BC doctors who would do fills. THAT is interesting and opens up a whole other option for BC Bandsters.

Thanks for that. I'd love to see a list of BC professionals who will do fills.

What I meant is that the clinic I went to has a network of trained fill providers that do the fills for thier patients as close as possible to where they live. They set that up for me.

So as an example, my fill Dr. was trained by the clinic so I can get fills in Calgary, but the clinic tells him how much to put in etc.

They have fill Dr.s in many major cities, adn train more as the get more patients in a specific area. I dont know if you could get the list, but you may be able to phone the clinic in toronto and find out who does thier fills in GVA or where ever you are in BC.

I guess it is up to each Dr. whether they will fill out of country patients, but there was another bandster from BC here that was having difficulty getting a fill for her mexican band.

Andrew

Hi there,

I was reading past posts and the other doctor was Dr. Woodhead in Ladner, 604 946 6500. I am planning to call - but it is sad to see that only 2 doctors in Vancouver does this surgery?

Also, do we need to get a Dr. referral even though it seems we have to pay for the surgery ourselves? Of if we get the referral - will it be covered by medical.

I am just starting to explore Lap Band as an option and any additional information would be great.

Cheers,

Mich:cool:

Its interesting how us newbies have the same questions. I am planning on calling their offices this week to get packages or more information.

I am unsure of whether we need a doctor referral. My own doctor although he has been trying to help me with losing weight will likely be less than entirely helpful.

I dont think that if you are doing a self pay that you will need a refferal. I was banded in Toronto on a selaf pay, and did not need one. There was some involvment from my GP filling out medical history etc.

Ask the clinic that you cal.

From what I have read, there is no help from the province in BC.

Andrew

No, there IS no help for patients in BC. I think one can get a bypass on medical, but the waiting list is years.

I am on another board with patients of Dr Leung and someone posted that Dr Woodhead is TRYING to get his lap band procedures going, but that the Peace Arch Hospital was not giving him any OR time. Check this information. I am not sure if it is true, but if it is true that only leaves Dr Leung at the Surrey Memorial. And I have to post that Dr Leung is near retirement. Word is he has someone training to take his place.

I did have to get a referral from my GP, not sure why.

Good luck to every single one of you and keep us up on your progress.

This has been a blessing in my life.

And BTW, Surrey Memorial is AWESOME! I was VERY impressed by the care I got there.

Hey, Gaffer, what province do you live and who does your fills? Just curious!