Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Documenting My Sleeve Surgery

Ok folks, I recently found comfort in reading a day to day from a previous forum member that went through their own sleeve surgery, so I will do the sane in hopes of maybe helping someone else and also as an "anxiety" relief and feedback/support.

6 days away from surgery - 12/16 is the big day. I am 5'10 woman early 30's and weigh 275 as of today.

Tomorrow I see my doc and clinic/hospital for final steps - anesthesia convo, etc.

In preparation for this my insurance and doctor requested documented alternative methods of weight loss programs, blood work, psych eval, nutritionist, ekg, attended his orientation class, chest xray, endoscopy and did not do ab ultrasound since I do not have a gall bladder, otherwise I would have gotten that as well.

I have a demanding job in which I travel and have a child and am single.

I'll report on the after affects as well as the day to day after and how I am coping with my day to day tasks - eating and pain while traveling, etc ...

I will also have some family helping me for the first two weeks of surgery.

Let the lifestyle change begin!

Ok folks, I recently found comfort in reading a day to day from a previous forum member that went through their own sleeve surgery, so I will do the sane in hopes of maybe helping someone else and also as an "anxiety" relief and feedback/support.

6 days away from surgery - 12/16 is the big day. I am 5'10 woman early 30's and weigh 275 as of today.

Tomorrow I see my doc and clinic/hospital for final steps - anesthesia convo, etc.

In preparation for this my insurance and doctor requested documented alternative methods of weight loss programs, blood work, psych eval, nutritionist, ekg, attended his orientation class, chest xray, endoscopy and did not do ab ultrasound since I do not have a gall bladder, otherwise I would have gotten that as well.

I have a demanding job in which I travel and have a child and am single.

I'll report on the after affects as well as the day to day after and how I am coping with my day to day tasks - eating and pain while traveling, etc ...

I will also have some family helping me for the first two weeks of surgery.

Let the lifestyle change begin!

Good luck

Best of luck to ya...

I had my VSG 3 1/2 years ago and doing great - down ~90 lbs and keep it off.

Any questions - please let me know

Lou

Hi Brazilian - I am a Brazilian from AL!

Did you have to do the 6 months Dr. Supervised Weight Loss program in order to be elegible for this surgery? If so, how did you do?

I went on my first visit in October/13 and tomorrow will be my 3rd, of 6 needed months. Still feels like a dream that will never come even though the Insurance coordinator with my Dr. Office has reassured me that I am more than eligible because of my co morbid conditions and BMI.

I am wishing you all the best and looking forward to your posts and experience.

Hi b. No, I did not have to have it supervised nor documented, just a historical of different weight loss attempts.

Hang in there. Once you realize the end is near, the adrenaline will kick in and you will be on the road to a better lifestyle.

Things happen for a reason (I truly believe that) - so maybe the time you are spending for the supervised weight loss will be the time needed for something else to take place in your life...

I see doc tomorrow and anesthesiologist at hospital to go over last minute prep.

Wow we are very similar. I am 5'10 & currently 275 maybe a bit lower. I am a single mom who travels for work also and I'm 32.

I'm having my surgery tomorrow. I'm really ready to be on the recovering side. I'm nervous about tomorrow, but ready for it.

Good luck!

Stacy, wow, yes very close. You will do great and I'll keep you in my prayers. Let me know how it went.

EKG, Chest xray, more blood work, and pre op appt done today.

Still on Protein shakes till Saturday evening, then Clear liquids.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches