Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Doctor Wants Me To Eat More!

I had my post op appointment with my surgeon yesterday and I told him that I was averaging at about 500 to 700 calories a day. He responded that I should try to eat more. I said how much more? And he said I can get all the way up to 1000 if i can. But I just found that weird because I still am early out of surgery. I haven't even been out for 3 months yet. I thought 1000 calories was what vets usually had... Hmmm...

I eat more than a thousand...

He doesn't want your metabolism to totally tank.

That being said though, I would not push it if you can't eat that much yet. Slowly raise it up.

Like right now shoot for 800..

Everyone has different consumption needs according to what kind of physical activity you do. I eat around 800-1000 calories a day. I just find I feel sluggish and overly stuffed if I try to eat more. But that's my body and sleeve everyone is different. :) good luck!

I feel like I could eat more than 800 most days, although sticking to what I should be eating it is hard to go much over that right now (6 weeks out.) And that is 4-5 small meals or Snacks. I have set my mynetdiary for 900 calories and I've only gone over that once. I agree that you should plan for 800 and see how it goes.

I stayed under 800 most of the time my first 6 months. I'm allowing myself to drift up to 900 or 1000 now and finally getting more than 40 grams Protein a day. I can easily get 60 with the higher calories. It's not just calories that are important. I hope my metabolism eventually allows me to eat 1500 or so because I think I could very comfortably do that for life.

So I have a question on this subject...I'm 6 weeks post op. Is it normal to suddenly feel like I'm super hungry some days?

I have been getting way more exercise lately about half of the week. But I only feel satisfied if I up my Protein. I'm 5'8 and Dr office says I only need 65-70 grams..but half the time feel like I need upwards of 85 or more.

Is this part of the process of healing and nornal? I should add....I was cleared for regular soft foods 2 weeks ago. Doing the suggested portions but some days I only hit like 450 calories and others I get to just about 675 and feel hungry or almost empty(which is my hunger now)

Thanks!

Edited by gomekast

So I have a question on this subject...I'm 6 weeks post op. Is it normal to suddenly feel like I'm super hungry some days? I have been getting way more exercise lately about half of the week. But I only feel satisfied if I up my Protein. I'm 5'8 and Dr office says I only need 65-70 grams..but half the time feel like I need upwards of 85 or more. Is this part of the process of healing and nornal? Thanks!

Yep. Try some denser protein like chicken, ham, or tuna. You might be able to finish 40 grams of dense protein now but I doubt it. If you can, that's ok too. Listen to your sleeve. Our capacities can differ. Not just yogurt, cottage cheese, and eggs. Try to limit your starchy carbs because they have been known to cause cravings.

Edited by mistysj

I'm hungry some days too. And when I am I try to have just a little something more, which is probably why I am hitting 800-900 calories a lot of days.

It seems to be working just fine for my weight loss. When I am feeling peckish I try to have something like a bariatric pudding, which is pretty helpful in that it has a decent amount of Protein, is about 80-100 calories, and is also more fun to eat than other things (feels like a treat.)

Yep. Try some denser Protein like chicken, ham, or tuna. You might be able to finish 40 grams of dense protein now but I doubt it. If you can, that's ok too. Listen to your sleeve. Our capacities can differ. Not just yogurt, courage cheese, and eggs. Try to limit your starchy carbs because they have been known to cause cravings.

I want some courage cheese!

Lol, I also want some courage cheese!

Thanks, everyone. I will opt for 800 and see how that goes for now.

Just curious, Fluffnomore, what is a bariatric pudding and where can I get it? Sounds yummy! :-P

(hahaha auto correct just changed "bariatric pudding" to "barbaric pudding" hahaha)

WonderSlim from DietDirect.com

I'm sure you can also make your own with SF pudding and Protein powder, but I prefer the convenience of this. They also sell the bariatric hot cocoa. BariWise, I think.

I eat more than a thousand...

He doesn't want your metabolism to totally tank.

That being said though, I would not push it if you can't eat that much yet. Slowly raise it up.

Like right now shoot for 800..

Hi Laura-Ven... would you add me to mfp? I would love to get a peek at your diet!

Hi Laura-Ven... would you add me to mfp? I would love to get a peek at your diet!

Oh yeah... I'm Seela13

I'm glad to see this topic raised. We too were told to increase calories to 1000. Honestly I'm not sure I can fit that much. I've been hitting around 600-700 but even that is with two Protein shakes. I eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks and I can't fit much more into my sleeve at this point--at least not the stuff I should eat which is Protein. I guess I could try to add fruit, healthy carbs, etc but adding veggies for example? Lots of volume, fills you faster and then still no calories to speak of. If I add carbs though, then I'm eating more carbs than I should., which is about 50 gms. If I add Protein, I'm stuffed after 2-3 oz.

Not sure how to balance the teeter-totter. This week I was only aiming for 800 and I haven't made it one day.

Me too! Me too! :-D

EarthyEater