Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! So one of my requirements for the Surgery is to have an Endoscopy performed! I am kinda nervous about this, I think it's because I really don't know what to expect! I have a consult on Dec 18 than the actual Endoscopy on Dec 27th! I would appreciate anyone's two cents about it!! Thank you so much!

I am very excited about my sleeve surgery and my new life that is ahead of me! Will be having my sleeve surgery at Cedars Sinai In LA!

I was nervous too. I had never had any type of surgery or procedure done before so it was scarry. I remember talking to my surgeon. The last thing I remember was my surgeon saying "you might not even remember this conversation. .." next thing I know they were waking me up and I was going back to work. If I didn't know better I wouldn't even know anything was done. Easy peasy. Good luck!

Hi Lauren! I'm getting sleeved on Dec. 23 and had an endoscopy a couple weeks ago. I was really scared because I've never had surgery or any kind of anesthesia (not even at the dentist).

Here's how it went down:

1. Arrived at hospital's G.I. department, filled out your typical doctor's office form and waited. Then I was called back to a desk where they processed me and asked if I had a living will and that if I was about to die (they worded it nicer) did I want a priest/pastor called in.

2. Next, I went back to a small room where I put on a gown and a nurse took my blood pressure, temperature and went over the procedure with me and answered any questions. They put a needle in my arm and taped it there because that's where the anesthesia goes via an IV.

3. I followed the nurse into an operating room where my surgeon was waiting. They had me sit on the bed and introduced me to my anesthesiologist. He said he'd tell me when he was about to administer the medicine.

4. He sprayed the back of my throat twice with a numbing spray (it tasted like the stuff you spray when you have a sore throat, with a weird cherry aftertaste)

5. They had to lay on my left side and the anesthesiologist stood behind me. He said "okay, I'm administering the medicine now" and at first I didn't feel anything and said so aloud.

6. As I was about to repeat myself, my body began to feel heavy like I was falling asleep but I was a little scared, so I fought it and tried to stay away. I began to hear a ringing in my ears so I decided I would just close my eyes and lean into the pillow.

7. I had a very vivid dream that I was back home with my husband sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner and talking about my procedure

8. What seemed like seconds later, I woke up to find myself being wheeled into another room. I felt a little groggy like I had just woken up. About 20 minutes had passed since I "conked out"

9. My surgeon came in a few minutes later and said everything looked good and I had no ulcers. My mother (who drove me) came in while he was there and he explained the same thing to her and gave me a sheet that had pictures of my insides.

10. The nurse gave me Water and crackers and I had to lay on the bed for a half hour. I felt 100% fine, was laughing and talking normally with the nurse and my mom.

11. After my 30 minutes were up, I got dressed and mom and I ate in the cafeteria. I thought I was going to feel nauseous, but I felt fine. I ate chicken fingers and some chips with a soda.

The worse part (and it wasn't even THAT bad) was that the next morning my throat felt a little achy. The ache was worse on the second day and it lasted about 4 days total. It wasn't horrendous, it just felt like someone had choked me and my muscles were sore. I could talk, swallow, etc.

All in all, it wasn't a terrible experience. I kept laughing and felt giddy because it was SO not scary at all. I was imagining I'd wake up in the middle of the procedure, or choke or feel like I was dying when they put me under, but none of that happened. It was literally like going to sleep and waking up seconds later, and feeling completely awake within a minute or two.

You'll do fine.

Edited by Comfy_Blue

Hi there,

Had my Endo last week & was really surprised that my Dr. found Polyps. He removed one for biopsy & referred me to a GI, had that appt. this morning and Polyps were fine but I have to schedule a Colonoscopy. I'm Bummed about the Detour but, I can't move forward without it. Just wanted to share.

What super responses!!!

Me? I got prepped, was asked "Are you ready" and woke up with the procedure over. A quick 20 minutes!

I guess I'm one of the few that had the nasal endoscopy wide awake -- the nurse only sprayed my throat with a god awful numbing spray like 10 times lol

It was uncomfortable but quick and my nurse was soooo comforting-- he let me squeeze his fingers which really helped

My surgeon was very pleasant as well -- I felt bad that I pushed his hand away during the process cause I felt like I was choking but I wasn't really

Rested a while after that and did not go to work that day, whole thing probably took 45 seconds after the spray

Here's a link to my experience. I'm sure it's on here too, some where.

http://johnswlsjourney.blogspot.com/2012/11/my-egd-experience.html

Just make sure they clean the scope after the last colonoscopy! :o :P :blink:

Thank you everyone !! I do feel like I have somewhat of an idea if what will be going on the day of my endoscopy! I guess I will be too doped up to care right ?? Lol jk! I also got my appointments scheduled for the psych and dietitian.. Things are happening quickly!!