Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Were You Doing 6 Weeks Post Op?

How were you doing at this point? What could you/couldn't eat? I'm still scared to try salads and citrus fruits as I remember these were foods I had to wait a bit to reintroduce. I've scheduled a postop nut appnt as I've been confused/overwhelmed about what to eat and need some sample menus.

My doctor had me eating salads etc. by 6 weeks out. He gets his patients onto food quicker than other surgeons. You should still follow what your doctor tells you to do. With that said I was doing pretty good with the foods that I was eating. I remember getting full extremely fast but enjoying the food. :)

6 weeks out I was eating Soups, Soups and more soups. I make them all from scratch, so I could make them with great nutrition. Turkey chili, ham, lentil, veggie and chicken veggie were my staple ones, though. I also ate canned tuna blended with a little ranch. I would put half a teaspoon on a piece of extra sharp cheddar which was delicious.

I didn't try salads until about 4 months out and I moved slowly with those starting with just iceberg and then would add a few leaves of romain until it was all romain, then I would do the same thing adding spinach, then progressed to adding kale. It was about the 6 month mark when I could pretty much eat anything.

I adopted a manner of eating which I still use today. I take a small bite, put my utensil down and chew well. I evaluate how that bite made me feel before taking another. If I felt the least bit queasy, I would not take another. That was a signal to me that my body was not ready and would try to re-introduce that item at a later date. I think too many people just jump right back in thinking, "Well, my doctor cleared me for this food, so I should be able to eat it, right?" You are responsible for your own journey and no two people are the same.

For me, adopting this new manner of eating has reaped benefits far and wide. I don't want to eat like I did before and this not only helped me with the re-introduction of foods, but with a healthier method of eating which my children are now seeing. There is a lot of value in that alone.

I'm 6 weeks and not a whole lot of variety here. Lots of things just don't go down well and I'm not getting both Water goals and Protein goals on the same day yet.

At 6 weeks I was on a soft food diet (after 4 wks of full liquids). I was eating alot of chili with cheese, cheese, eggs, egg salad, tuna salad, refried Beans, mashed pots (I even had a few fries!). No raw veggies (ie: salad) until week 8. I think exactly on that day I was at Red Robin eating an Avo-Cobbo salad (my fav)!

Now, at almost 5 mths, I eat everything, just really small amts. I eat salad about 3-5x a week, usually with egg, cheese, or chicken on it. Or all 3. I can eat very little (cept popcorn. I could eat a whole bucket if I let myself)G

oo

d luck!