Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Balance Issues After Gastric Bypass

After having Gastric Bypass surgery, I started having balance issues. Walking is becoming an issue. I use to be a avid bowler, now that's a thing of the past. I've seen every doctor I can think of. Cardio, Neuro, Ent, Eye, even my bariatric surgeon. No one can find out why I am experiencing this issue. Driving is even becoming an issue. The speed of the car makes me feel uneasy. I am having panic attacks while driving, especially on the freeway. Does anyone else out there have this issue? I would love to hear from you if you do. It feels like dizziness/lightheaded. The dr first said vertigo, but it's not that after all.

You know in 3months out i am very unstable sometimes especially in the morning its not really bad

I had sleeve Jan 8th 2013, NOW on NOV 21st I Just had Gastric BYPASS, and been so so so , dizzy and off balance....

Today at my Po Op they nurse found that my BP when sitting was 100/76 and then standing dropped to 84/58. He said that was the cause of the dizziness and off balance. To watch my fluids, he thinks I am Dehydrated I am getting IV fluids tomorrow, it has helped in the past...

when I stand I even black out.....

I go to doctor next week im going to see about this

Ive suffered quite bad vertigo ever since my surgery. The surgeon has no answer for it and hasn't encouraged any other patients who developed it. The room can spin and sometimes feels like in falling. Im 6 weeks out and it's getting slightly better but still significant.

this is really just crazy that nobody can figure this out. How can doctors that do these types of surgeries all the time, not ever hear of such a thing? I can't be the only person dealing with this. My life has been on hold now for 2 years. I can't exercise drive too much anymore, can't bowl anymore. I wish somebody could diagnois this crap?

I get that dizzy feeling when I stand up. I recently had surgery for an ovarian cyst and the pre op nurse took my BP and she made a comment that I had really low BP. She told me to always be careful when standing up.

It could be something as simple as BP.

I have the same issue. Worse when standing. My last bp at the dr sitting was 96/54. Often when I stand I get the fuzzy vision and swimming feeling . I've added salt to my diet and I've noticed when I push the fluids it's a lot better. It's called orthostatic hypotension.

It's common. As you can see, more and more of us can relate.

I don't have an answer to this side effect. In my case, I do think it's vertigo. I also have a lot of ear infection problems amongst other things. According to Google there is a connection between the two.

I get dizzy when I stand up, or I completely go blank and lose balance. I've also experienced fuzzy vision. I don't know if it makes sense, but sometimes I feel everything whirling or spinning. Nuts!

Silly question, but I'll ask it ... has your blood pressure medication been reduced since you've lost weight?