Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Weeks Post-Op - So Long 2X Old Navy Yoga Pants!

Hi there.

I was sleeved on 11/14/13, so I'm just over 2 weeks post-op. I've learned a lot in the past couple of months, since I decided to have VSG.

The day before surgery and the day of surgery, I almost backed out...multiple times. I was scared and feeling like I would regret going through the surgery. I was thinking about all the things I wouldn't be able to eat. I would no longer be able to enjoy food like I had in the past. I wouldn't be able to go out to dinner with friends and family and Celebrate. The morning of my surgery while I was in admitting, I thought to myself, "You can leave right now and you'll only be out $500." I was tempted. Then I looked at my husband - I could tell he was nervous and scared for me. I thought about my future with him and my son. I thought about my mom and her struggles with her weight and subsequent medical issues. I looked down the path that I was going down and I saw misery, pain and unhappiness. I CHOSE then to go through with the surgery.

While it hasn't been all sunshine and lollipops since then, I am happy I decided to go through with it. I'm losing weight, a lot of weight, but more than that, I feel better. I feel better than I have in years. I can go for a long walk with my husband and not feel pain. My face doesn't look bloated like it did a month ago. Someone said I look 5 years younger already. I didn't look like I was steer wrestling on the plane when I tried to get my seatbelt fastened when we returned home.

I've learned a lot about myself in the past few weeks. I am strong, stronger than I ever knew I was. I can handle more pain than I thought I would ever experience. I am looking forward to the future - like camping next summer with the family. I can see a healthier and happier me - one that participates in my own life. I can see a difference in my relationship with my son - I can see he's proud of me and the action I took to improve our family life. I had to have my husband hide my scale - since the weight was coming off so quickly, weighing myself became a new pastime (unhealthy behavior alert)...I weigh once per week now.

I've learned a lot from the people in this forum - it's a great resource and we are fortunate to have it. I have a group of people I network with on Facebook as well. I don't know anyone personally who has gone thru this, so my network is all on line. I'm also fortunate I was able to pay for the surgery as my insurance wouldn't cover it.

So, I'll end the rambling with this - I say goodbye to my 2X Old Navy Yoga pants today. They are literally falling off me. I have 4 pair - these are pants that I have lived in the past year. On most days they were the only comfortable pants I could wear. If I could have worn them out of the house without feeling like a complete slob, I would have worn them everywhere...instead, I packed myself into my jeans that still fit me today, a little loose, but can still wear them - that proves how much I literally packed myself into them (I cannot wait to bid farewell to those jeans). These 2X Old Navy Yoga pants represent such an unhappy version of myself - they represent pain and anguish. I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far and look forward to getting rid of more unhappy clothes!

Hooray & good for you!! So glad to hear everything is going so well. I had to laugh a little about the yoga pants....I was thrilled to get INTO size 2X Old Navy yoga pants a few weeks ago!! Now they are just starting to get a bit loose, but I don't expect to be in XL for another month or so. I look at my size 18 jeans when I'm folding laundry & still feel slightly amazed that my ass fits in there. LMAO....it's all about the perspective, isn't it? :P

Congratulations on going through with your decision to lead a healthier life for yourself and your family! I had to giggle about the yoga pants, too. I just <3 yoga pants! (I can't wait to get back into a size medium, though....it will be a while.) Keep posting and letting us know how you are doing and feeling!!! :)

Thanks for your truthful self reflection. I will be sleeved dec 9 and am having doubts about whether this is still for me or not. I nearly changed my mind a few weeks ago. Giving up my food as my comfort, entertainer and anxiety reliever is scared...but, like you, I am just sick and tired of losing the weight just to put it back on.. My overweight body effects my family, they see me struggling, feeling depressed, and not being healthy as I can be. .. . Not too long ago I lost 65 pounds and gained it right back..I still have not recovered from the self defeat , lower self esteem etc that putting on extra weight does to you. Having this surgery does provide hope that I can , with the "help" of the sleeve, regain the "joie De vivre" in my life. I am 59 and I pray that I will be victorious . Your message reaffirms my decision to go ahead with the surgery. Thanks.

Thank you for posting this. As of now, this will be my 3rd time chickening out. I'm ready this time.....I think. I'm still scared to death, and wondering if I'm making the right decision. I guess the only way to find out is to do it. I hope I'm making the right choice.

I had many moments where I went thru the "What the hell are you doing?" phase. I wondered if I had done enough to try to do it on my own, maybe I should try some more on my own. But in the end, I realized, I wasn't going to do this on my own.

After 25 years of yo-yo dieting and really messing my metabolism up (along with PCOS and toss in some insulin resistance), losing and gaining it back plus a few for good measure, it wasn't possible to do it on my own. As my Primary Care Physician said when I told her I was going the VSG route, "At the rate you need to work out and restrict your calories, it's not sustainable for the long term. This is a good decision for you."

Only you can decide if this is the right decision. For me, I know this is the right thing to do. It's scary as hell - I was scared from the moment I made the decision. I was scared when I hugged my son goodbye before we boarded the plane. I was scared when I kissed my husband when they were wheeling me into surgery.

This may sound silly, but I knew things were going to be OK when we were driving down the road and I was looking at restaurants and I really didn't care. Two days prior to surgery, I was like, "Yep, won't be able to eat there again." "Can't have that ever again." Having a total pity party. Tonight my son wanted grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner - I made them for him and my husband. They didn't even look good - I didn't want one. I take that back, I had a moment when they were biting into that crunchy bread, but it was wanting the crunch, not the bread. Being on mainly liquids for 2 months takes a toll - you want food, you want to chew, but it's not that important what it is. I'm amazed daily at how this surgery has affected my desire to eat - it really isn't there. I eat now because my body needs something, not because I got upset at work, or my mom is driving me crazy, or (insert emotion here).

I wish you guys all the best - you will know what is right for you. Don't let anyone talk you into or out of a decision. It's yours - the power is yours.