Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Weight B4 Sleeve

Hi just wondering does everyone have to loose 10-20 pounds before surgery? My doctor hasn't told me anything yet, and at my second diatician meeting today I went from 295 to 289! 6 pounds! Now since I'm 289 will I still need to loose more?? How much are/were you and how much did you have to loose??

Hi Areyn.. congratulations on the weight loss. 6 lbs is very good. I too was told to lose weight before surgery. Though they did not give an exact number, I was told they like to see about 10% or at least a real effort at losing. I've only been dieting for 3 weeks and I've still got 2 months to go on the diet. I've only lost 4 pounds so far but hope I'll do better over the next couple of months. I do know that your surgery will go better if you have lost weight because your liver will shrink and there will be less of a chance of it getting nicked during surgery if it is small. Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving.

I was simply told not to gain any weight. Plus I only have to do a 2 day pre-op clear liquid diet to prep for surgery.

Happy thanksgiving to you! Wow thanks for the feedback. I guess everyone is different. I just want to make sure I do everything right ya know? My primary care physician told me not to get the surgery if he were me... He said he has about 5-7 patients all in the same boat right now, all 5 years out and back to same weight before surgery.

Happy thanksgiving to you! Wow thanks for the feedback. I guess everyone is different. I just want to make sure I do everything right ya know? My primary care physician told me not to get the surgery if he were me... He said he has about 5-7 patients all in the same boat right now, all 5 years out and back to same weight before surgery.

What type of wls did those 5-7 people have?

Everyone Body Is Diffrent As We Know .However It Is Possible To Regain Weight Back Some People Tend To Go Back To Old Eating Habits Once They Have Lost Their Desired Amount So Its Really Something To Be Mindful About I Refuse To Go Threw Wls To Onley Regain My Weight Back We Just Got To Always Remember Where We Came From And Remember That Over Eating Made Us Fat In The First Place We All Need To Stay In Constant Rememberance Of That Good Luck

I did not have to diet or lose weight before surgery. Just about to start the pre op liquid diet for 7days. That's my only requirement. Some very overweight people need to lose weight before surgery because it puts them at higher risk for complications.

I did not have to diet or lose weight before surgery. Just about to start the pre op liquid diet for 7days. That's my only requirement. Some very overweight people need to lose weight before surgery because it puts them at higher risk for complications.

You will lose weight by just doing the liquid diet and it is gonna shrink ur liver don't cheat! Lol

What type of wls did those 5-7 people have?

They all had the sleeve he said he saw more people with bypass and band succeed.

Everyone Body Is Diffrent As We Know .However It Is Possible To Regain Weight Back Some People Tend To Go Back To Old Eating Habits Once They Have Lost Their Desired Amount So Its Really Something To Be Mindful About I Refuse To Go Threw Wls To Onley Regain My Weight Back We Just Got To Always Remember Where We Came From And Remember That Over Eating Made Us Fat In The First Place We All Need To Stay In Constant Rememberance Of That Good Luck

I know once people stretch the sleeve back out and start making bad choices it's back to square one. Which seat were u in near me?

I was sitting right in front of u I was the one u was talking to

Oh ok cool! Just making sure it was you.