Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquids Post Op 5 Days

Had my surgery the 18th ended up an extra day in hospital cause I couldn't pee on my own and the the extra day I developed a fever. At this point I regret doing this to myself. I got discharged Wednesday evening feels good to be in my own home. I can't take any Water down put 3 sips. 8 start to feel nauseous when I try broth. Is this normal post op?

Had my surgery the 18th ended up an extra day in hospital cause I couldn't pee on my own and the the extra day I developed a fever. At this point I regret doing this to myself. I got discharged Wednesday evening feels good to be in my own home. I can't take any Water down put 3 sips. 8 start to feel nauseous when I try broth. Is this normal post op?

I had my surgery the 12th. I didn't have fever but every Fluid except for broth made me nauseous, even threw up a few times >.< Try heavier fluids than Water, like your broth or orange juice, even blended with ice or SF popsicles!! (if you're in full liquids stage), I found they let my sleeve empty quicker and prevented the nausea! And honestly day by day it'll get better! Even when I was puking I didn't regret the surgery. It has its bumps sure but it's worth it in the end. I'm eleven days post op and the nausea is gone, and almost all the gas.

Try SF Popsicles!! They were my saving grace in the bad times!

Thanks yea I been trying sugar free pops, but I only can eat half though. I then start to feel nauseous , husband if forcing me to drink the icopure, I just don't feel like drinking anything, I want Water and I get so sick after a few sips.

Be patient, Gelica. It will get better. This is the toughest time for you, but better days are right around the corner. (I had serious 2nd thoughts for the first 3-4 days, too.)

I had real issues getting plain bottled Water down - it was gross and made me gag. I turned to Vitamin Water Zero for help and wow, what a difference. My doc also suggested Propel Zero or Gatorade Zero. I allowed myself to get dehydrated, which made me feel worse. sugar free popsicles may help as well - I had one or two the first couple of days.

I wish you well!

Thanks I forgot I had propel zero packets in pantry hopefully I can get that down. I just want to started feeling better and not so crappy. Also my back is starting to hurt from sleeping on it, I am such a tummy sleeper.

Thanks I forgot I had propel zero packets in pantry hopefully I can get that down. I just want to started feeling better and not so crappy. Also my back is starting to hurt from sleeping on it, I am such a tummy sleeper.

I'm a stomach sleeper too, I have slowly been able to progress to sleeping on my side without too much difficulty.

Not to mention I miss my hubby. He has been in the guest room afraid that he might try to cuddle me and hurt me.

I had surgery 11/19 and I suffered with horrible gas pains..i needed narcotics the first day for the pain:( the pain meds me nauseous and it was pretty rough..I'm at home now and drinking 1 oz every 15 minutes! I still have gas but it's not too bad! I've been feeling deprived and my body feels hungry but I can't eat..not easy at all but I know it will get better!

I know what you mean I just can't drink enough it feels like. I did freeze some icopure in the popsicle thing I bought at Walmart. I just want Water to chug after having the chalky after taste.

I have been sipping on Water non stop. I am really trying to keep myself hydrated. I was told that the first week or so post op it is most important to try and get down Protein and water and avoid eating if you feel you can't do it. Does that sound right to you guys? I was sleeved on 11/20/13 and am still dealing with the gas pains... any early post op advice would be greatly appreciated!!

My doc allows two tablespoons of food per day (no sugar added applesauce, scrambled egg, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese). Follow you're doctor's plan - that's your best bet.

Walking is the best thing you can do for the gas pains. I also took Gas-X strips. On the walking - really, walk as much as you can, that will expel the gas and makes recovery easier. For the first couple of days after surgery, I roamed around my condo, then graduated to walking around the condo complex (one lap around was .3 miles - you would have thought I walked a marathon!). I eventually got to where I could do 3 laps at one time, multiple times during the day.

When I went for the follow up the doc said he knew getting in the Water and shakes is hard, focus on the Water. (My plan called for 64 ounces of water and 3 shakes - I still haven't gotten that in and I'm 1.5 weeks out). Getting dehydrated would be miserable, so he said to focus on the water. I can do 2 shakes easily now and I'm about 1/2 way on the water.

Best of luck to you!

I am 4 days post op today and feeling pretty weak and hungry:( I can't take in very much so I've been doing 1 oz of fluids every 15 minutes. .mentally it's hard because I feel like I'm starving myself:( I know it will get better but this has been a really hard week!!! I'm on full liquids for 4 wks:(

I am 4 days post op today and feeling pretty weak and hungry:( I can't take in very much so I've been doing 1 oz of fluids every 15 minutes. .mentally it's hard because I feel like I'm starving myself:( I know it will get better but this has been a really hard week!!! I'm on full liquids for 4 wks:(

Hang in there :( sorry to hear you're having such a hard time.

I had surgery on 11/19. The day of surgery I wasn't allowed anything by mouth. I was so thirsty, but all I could do was swab my mouth. The next day in the hospital, I was given 1oz cups and told to drink at least 16oz of Water in 4 hours. The next day I was given cranberry and apple juice, Protein broth( gag, so salty) and tea( gag). I cut the cranberry with Water and kept that down. I came home on Thursday and had a very bad day. Very nauseous, stomach doing ping pongy things inside. Feels like hunger pangs, but I AM NOT HUNGRY. I asked the dr.'s office for nausea meds and that helped. Today I've drank 24 oz of water and an 8oz Protein shake. I don't want anything, forcing myself to drink so I don't get dehydrated. My blood sugar was very high even though I haven't eaten. Dr. Said it was because of pain meds. The surgeon told me to remove my pump an stop metformin. I called my endocrinologist and he said put the pump back on and take the metformin. I do feel a bit better since doing that. I cant even imagine ever wanting to eat again.

Hi calicakes..i had surgery same day as you! I haven't been able to get in as much fluids as you! I have to try though because I'm so scared of dehydration:( are u feeling weak?? I'm feeling so weak and tired..i want to start liquid vitamins but I'm afraid of nausea:( have u started Vitamins yet??