Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Bring A Laptop During My Hospital Stay?

To start with I do not own a smart phone. I have a phone that is older than dirt. I've had it for over 4 years and it's complete crap. I plan to get a new phone (a smart phone) in a few more months.

So with that said, can I bring my laptop to use during my hospital stay?

I'm confused, the hospital website says during your stay one of the amenities are wifi availability. But then on their list of "what not to bring" it says:

"Electrical appliances such as air dryers, CD players, electric razors, TVs, computers, and other audio/video equipment are not permitted to be brought into the hospital according to the standards of the Joint Commission, a nationally recognized, independent organization that evaluates hospitals on safety and quality performance standards."

Did you get to bring a laptop? just another question i'll need to remember to ask when they call me about my pre surgery screening.

I brought mine, but I didn't even open it. And I left the power cord there when I went home!

My sister brought hers and it was stolen, when she realized that it was missing and it was within minutes. She had just gone for a short stroll down the hall. They found it in the "laundry" room. Apparently the claim was that the person who changed the bed just accidently picked it up. Leave it at home, sipping and walking will be your focus.

I wouldn't bring it. I don't know about everyone else but I could barely keep myself awake to take my meds much less poke around on a laptop. I didn't look at any electronics for DAYS post op. I didn't leave my room and bathroom for 2-3 after surgery. Just slept and showered and peed!

I have brought my iPad with me for previous surgeries and never used it. I did, however, use my Kindle for hours on end.

There is no reason for you to take your laptop to the hospital. You will not be in much of any condition to use it because you will either be in surgery, sleeping or walking the gas and Fluid off.

My hospital required any laptops to be checked in with security upon arrival and to remain there until your checked out of the hospital. They do not want the liability if it is stolen.

Just detach from the internet for a couple of days and focus on what you need to be doing---resting and recovering!

I just figured having a laptop with me would be better than starring at walls while I'm awake. I have no idea what to expect in regards to how I'm going to feel. I imagine I'll be exhausted, very exhausted that first day. Maybe i'll bring a couple of good books with me instead.

You will have a TV, but truly you will most likely be either sleeping or walking or having some blood drawn or having someone checking you for something. (They seem to do blood tests at 4-5 am so the results are up when the new shift comes on at 7. Vampires always do their work before sunrise!) Sipping your drinks and trying to eat a little will be far more time consuming than you can imagine.

A book is always a good idea though. Just wouldn't want your computer to be stolen.

Wishing you the best on your journey!

I was in the hospital for less than 24 hours here in Dallas. I brought a few electronic but really didn't have the desire to do anything with them. I did play with my Galaxy but thay that's about it.

Update: I've decided to buy a really cheap tablet to use while in the hospital, rather than lug around my 17.3" laptop. For one thing I was really hoping to be able to listen to some music in the hospital and with the tablet I now can. I had planned on getting my daughter a tablet anyways so when I don't need it anymore I'll give it to her to play with.

For under $100 I feel more comfortable bringing a 7" tablet. If I had my laptop stolen that would be more painful, but I'm going to do my best to keep a good eye on my tablet too. ;)

And thank you all for giving me a heads up that things can get stolen. These things never even cross my mind because it's not something I would ever do to someone.