Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

How is every body doing?

Debbie no my hair has not start falling out, I PRAY that mine don't start to fall out I will cry like a baby:Cry:!! I didn't have any problems the last time I had surgery to have my tubes tied so hope my body doesn't react this time!!!! I go get my next fill Thursday.

I mailed my completed medical history paperwork into Mt. Carmel Bariatric Center and Mid Ohio Surgical Associates on October 22. Now waiting to find out if I will be accepted to proceed forward. I have kind of an interesting angle that I saved money in my Health Care Flexible Spending Account at work for medical expenses and I now know I can use some of this for my $300 administrative fee and $200 for nutritionist if they can get me in before year end to get the process started.

I called Charlene and left her a message to call me. Don't know how long it takes them to go through your application/medical history from the time they receive it.

Edited by SpecialK

hi, special k. if i remember correctly i filled out my paperwork and sent it in right after the december 15 seminar. it took about 10 days to get a reply. then i had to schedule a psychologist appt and the nutritionist.

i couldnt get in to see the nutritionist till february. and after that initial visit with her she makes you go to a nutrition class.

there was so much hair on my comb today that i gasped!

i am just sick over this.

I put some info about me on the Introductions thread of the Ohio forum group. I've been reading about the others posting about being in the Mt. Carmel program. I'm hoping we will hear about others in that program too.

ARRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry I just lost my post TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry:angry

QUICK VERSION.

Special K... Welcome. This is a great group of ladies.

Deb....Try "NourishHair" from GNC. It works wonders. I lose hair d/t hormonal inbalances. It took about a month, but I have really nice hair now. BTW...thats what I am reading causes the hair loss.. hormones being released from the fat. Its worth a try.

Sue.... whats the good news??? Is sleep apnea enough to get you approved? My fingers are crossed for ya sister.

Dorothy... Hey, hows things going??

Lady... How are you and your family doing?? Your family has been heavy on my heart. I know the pain of losing someone close to you. I lost my dad 2 years ago, then his brother died very suddenly (police came to say they found him dead in his work truck...his heart) The day after his funeral, my dads sister died of cancer. This was all in 10 months. Thank God we had the assurance of their salvation. That really is the only thing that kept me going. You and your family are in my prayers:girl_hug:

I actually heard about some books on a Bandsters group off Yahoo. First a posting on there mentioned a booklet being sold on eBay (of all places!) called The Gastric Lap Banding Diet and Recipe Book (64 pages but really big type and lots of white space on pages). Its written and published in Austrailia by Naomi Hills. Its 8x11 pages and spiral bound. Home computer printed. I'm just getting into reading it.Second, the Yahoo group Bandsters also had a couple books that could be purchased from another Austrialian website and those books were The food and Nutrition Guide for Gastric Banding (24 pages 8x11) and a Pocket Guide for Food and Nutrition for Gastric Banding by author Trudy Williams. These are printed by Wesley Nutrition Center - not just off a home computer. I got both the books in the mail from Austrailia this week so I can tell you its legitimate to order them. Will write more about what I think of them. Funny that with the US surgeries for lap banding increasing and the requirements on diet by all the insurance plans, that there aren't books published here in the US that you can get at Barnes & Noble, Amazon or Borders. Maybe the books in Austrailia are out because the surgery was done for years outside the US before FDA approved for here in the US.

First let me Thank all of you Ladies for your Prayers and kind words, It has been a very trying time for my family, my Sister in Law is a very strong woman, she has to be for her 3 children, I know I would not be doing as well if I was in her shoes!!!! She is a wonderful person who puts God first in her life!! Please keep us in your prayers. It is hard getting together on family gatherings (which we do alot:)). without him!! I am Blessed to have In-Laws like I have!

Now let me :welcome2: Special K to our cozy thread! It shouldn't take long before you get your letter stating that you have been accepted. Will you also be able to you use your flex spending on the Psychological evaluation that is going to run you $300.00-350.00 out of pocket because they want their money up front. (By the way I still didn't get any refund from that Quack I went to see even though my Ins. company sent him a check, he should of sent me that little $45.00 I should call him and see what is up that.(:rant:Sorry everyone I had a ranting moment:biggrin1:) BTS.... Special K good luck in getting approve. Hey and to get ahead start you could always call and schedule your appt. for your

Psychological evaluation, just set it for three weeks out and if for reason you haven't gotton your paper work call and reschedule.

I went to see Dr. Choban yesterday and I lost 15 pounds since my last fill, she was pleased and was even thinking about not adding to my fill, but I told her I was still hungry I was just fighting temptation:nervous , that it was like trying to diet so she added a little more. Now I am kicking myself in the butt, because I could have lost more if only I exercised more and didn't eat some of that good cake. Oh well have to do better so I can wear some thing Sexy for my 40 Birthday that is coming up in a few months.

Can yall believe that Thanksgiving is only 13 days away:eek:, with that being said that means Christmas is only.........45 days away:eek:;).

Hey is any one interest in meeting for lunch or dinner one Saturday?

I mailed in my paperwork Oct 22 to Charlene so let's see how many days that is now... today would be about the 15 working day ... hoping maybe I'll hear something next week. I called last Monday and left a voicemail for her that I want to know when I will hear about acceptance. I guess I'll call again this next week.

I think I heard at my information session I attended that when they accept you the $300 administrative fee is due right away. And I heard there is $200 for a nutriotionist you have to pay right away.

Are you saying there is also a $300-$350 for psychologist I have to pay to get that done. I guess I will pay that out of pocket and use my 2008 Flex Spend Health Care $ toward that.

I'm hoping that the psychologist appt would be January 2008 as I think I'll have burned through all my 2007 Health Care Flex Spend account with the $300 + $200 but I'll have to see.

I'm not too worried about a psychologist appointment as I have had counseling for my depression and if he checks with my counselor she should be able to show him I'm 'mentally stable' -- ha ha! Actually I do feel good and really positive about what I'm doing and he should sense that in the appointment. If he uses the session to try to scare me out of considering the surgery and gets me emotional, I'm not sure. Hopefully its a simple appointment.

I'd be up for meeting for a coffee or salad or whatever you banded folks can tolerate in January. November and December are flying by for me and I'm real busy at work. Maybe meet at someplace like a Panera's where we can get a table and stay and talk for as long as we'd want without a restaurant shooing us out the door.

Maybe at Polaris Mall area off I-71? How does that work for anyone else other than me in the north end of Columbus and the one lady in Mansfield.?

Edited by SpecialK

TM..as usual I am still waiting for paper work. sleep center was supposed to send it to me last week and I was to fax it to Charlene so Dr. Choban could call the Insurance company. I'm sure they will send it one of these days!:confused:Then I will wait some more! Eventually I will get an answer...I hope.

SpecialK.. Hello and welcome! What insurance do you have? I have BC/BS. They paid for my psych evaluation, I just had to pay the administration and nutritionist fees.

Hi Deb & Lady Q :)

Sue......ugghh!! the waiting, I really think we should get some sort of award for actually surviving this waiting game :first:. I have my 4th of 7 dietician visits this Tue, then another one in 2 weeks. I have passed the 1/2 way mark, and have been trying to focus on other things to pass the time. My dd and dgd just moved out, and I am redoing those bedrooms. (as I type I am in what is formerly known as the babies room and is now my office/workout room)

My weight just keeps going up. I have been on a strong dose of steroids, and I have had some major edema in my legs and feet. I am taking lasix now and some of the edema is letting up (at least I can get a pair of shoes on now, I have been in my flip flops and boy have my toes been cold) I have been really trying to stay on plan, but I am just not getting in the walking or exercise that I was before. I will be happy when this issue is resolved and I can get on with my life.

Special K..... It sounds like you are doing all the right things to get the ball rolling. I agree with Lady though, get your psych evaluation set up now, and any other requirements that your insurance company my require. I should be getting banded this month, but found out my insurance co. required 6 months dietician visits!!!! :eek: Oh well, I will be banded after I get back from vacation in February....:pray:I pray.

Thank you Lady for the count down :faint: We are having a surprise 60th birthday party for my mom next Saturday (after the game) about 70 people have sent a rsvp, so I have been really busy getting that together.....Thank the Lord my mom does Thanksgiving at her house cause I don't know that I would be able to get it all done. Usually 40-50 family members show up for ANY holiday at my moms....God love her, she so enjoys having everyone in. We eat like horses, play games, eat like horses, watch football, did I say we eat like horses?? I wonder :) could this be why I'm so fat???

BTW Lady.......:woot:WAY TO GO!!!!! 15lbs is great!!!!!!! You and Debbie are doing so good. I would really love to have lunch or coffee or what ever. Just give me the word..... and directions :nervous

I am gonna hit the shower and get ready for a long day of shopping.... Wal-Mart, GFS for the birthday party, fashion Bug (trying to find things in a LARGER size to take on the cruise in Feb.) and then try to be home by 3 for kick off :) I wonder if it can be done???

I hope you all have a blessed weekend.

Do you know if I can choose a psychologist that is on my health plan and do the scheduling of this or do I have to use the one Mt. Carmel's Bariatric program uses? What is the doctor's name you've been to? As long as I complete a psychologist evaluation for having weight loss surgery and they certify I am mentally sound and okay for the surgery, is that what is needed?

I recently found out my counselor I've had for 5 years+ (LISW, MASW) is no longer on my health plan to I have to change to a new person and that is an adjustment. I have a choice of psychologists with PHD instead of just LISW,MASW degrees so I don't know if this is the level of qualification that can do the psychologist eval for bariatric surgery. If so, I'd rather get on board with establishing a new counselor I trust that is close to my home rather than just close to Mt. Carmel.

Thoughts?

looks like everyone is up early and ready to go! I am taking it easy today. I am down in cincinnati visiting my friend and lounging around. maybe will hit a thrift store or two later.

To all of you in the paperwork stages---this is the hardest part of the whole process. but it, too, will pass. it is a good thing i had more hair then because i was ready to pull it out a few times. sometimes it felt like it would never get done. i wanted to be skinny by summer and i wanted it NOW!!!! All i can say is just be patient, but also be persistent.

if you feel something is taking way too long then call and follow up on it. the squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

Special K--about the psychologist visit. mt carmel gave me three recommendations. i chose the one that was in my ins plan, but i still had to pay up front and then be reimbursed. You can use any psychologist you want, though, it doesnt matter to them as long as he clears you for the surgery. and in my opinion the only way anyone wouldnt get a psychological clearance would be if they had anerexia or some other eating disorder.

Lady--i would love to get together some saturday and meet everyone. Polaris works for me.

Ps---I just took a look at my ticker and realized i am HALF way to my goal!!! It helps to be tall. but i think at 5'10" i will look pretty good at 175. i wont be model thin but i will be a pretty hot grandma!

I got the paperwork today from Mt. Carmel Bariatric program letting me know I have been accepted and the $300 administrative fee is due and they gave me the list of the consults I need. I'm going to check my health plan and see if these are on it as approved providers but it says your own doctor can recommend a different provider as long as they do a bariatric surgery evaluation.

I guess I count this as Step #3 on my journey. Step #1 was getting brave enough to go to an orientation/information session by myself, Step #2 was sending in the application packet.

So it was 15 working days (Oct 22-Nov 9) from the time I mailed it to them from the time they mailed the acceptance to me for those who are nterested in the future.

clap2.gif