Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Your Food Philosophy: Abstain Forever Or Eat In Moderation?

I don't think it matters where you are in your journey to answer this particular question. The answer is very personal and depends on an individual's relationship with food. I have 25 pounds left to lose and my philosophy has always been everything in moderation. It works for me and I work out a lot. I'm still working on my relationship with food but I think abstaining will cause more damage as it has in the past. I just wanna be normal, damnit! I may sing a different tune when I'm in maintenance, but this is where I'm at now.

Seriously.....tell me I can't have it and even if it's something I HATE I will go crazy wanting it :D. I'm like a little kid :P

Seriously.....tell me I can't have it and even if it's something I HATE I will go crazy wanting it :D. I'm like a little kid :P

Baha! Me too....a very stubborn one!

So many honeymooners have replied to this thread, mostly honeymooners actually, fascinating.

I generally believe people are smart! They know themselves and they know their body, they know what they can and cannot do, which has assisted them in making the choice to have WLS!

Whether honeymooner or not to WLS, many here have a long history of dieting battles, and what I see from all the posts and everyone's story that has been shared, is just that... a sharing of "their" individual story and what works or doesn't work for them.

Technically, if we want to give credibility to our advice, suggestions, and encouragement based upon seniority, I would pretty much say we are all veterans in our own right because we have struggled for years with the battle of obesity.

This is a place where we "share" our stories, and if it helps someone, great! There is an old saying, "Eat the meat and spit out the bones". In other words, we use what we can glean, and cast aside what is not for us". No offense, no foul if someone else's story or suggestion is not the same as ours.

If I could remain a honeymooner for life... All the better because that means my attitude remains uplifted, optimistic, vibrant, new, fresh, and zealous on this journey, instead of becoming an old grumpy, condescending vet that has it all together!

Have a lovely day ladies and gents, and remember.... STAY BEAUTIFUL!!!

Not only does everyone in my family love chex mix, but it's a holiday tradition for us. I want to make it for my kids, but I'm not sure how my husband and I will do around it. There were days in the past when that's all I ate for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner during the holidays. And I have a feeling those suckers will be total sliders. Still trying to figure out whether or not I should make it for the boys. sigh.

my advice? Make it for a party. If the party is at the other persons hone, don't bring the leftovers home. If it's at your home, get done cute containers and left overs home Iwoth your guests. I would not leave it in the house.

Lynda

For me, the trick is to keep trigger foods out of the house and to eat right most of the time. The only hard rule I have made and kept post op is no waking up and eating at night. Preop I could squeeze in a lot of calories that way.

Everyone is different. Shelley of eggface blog fame had to swear off sugar and bread carbs. It works for her.

Lynda

Yup. If it's forbidden, I want it. If I am told no, I do it twice.

Unrelated/related story here. When my husband and I were first married, we both had good jobs, no kids, we had a house, new cars, we were very comfortable. I was out shopping and I found a ring I really wanted. It was about $400 and when I called him and told him I was going to buy it, he said NO. WHUCK MOTHA FUCKA!?!?! Like a good wife, I "obeyed". I bought a tennis Bracelet instead. It wasn't $400. Add a zero plus a lot. HA! He's not told me NO since.

LOL I have a huge problem with being told no myself. Authority and I don't mix well ;)

chips (except baked tostitos)...and Oreos are the only things banned as well...Why oh why do those salty little slices have to be mind consuming?!! I generally choose not to have much junk in the house for myself though...When I do cheat, I usually cheat at a restaurant or party.

OH my gosh, what is it with chips? That seems to be everyone's trigger. Ive been dealing with the worst case of head hunger this week and badly craving goldfish, saltine & ritz crackers. As I've been reintroduced to foods, things are still tasting the same and I'd hoped my tastes have changed. Quite Surprised to still be craving carbs

my advice? Make it for a party. If the party is at the other persons hone, don't bring the leftovers home. If it's at your home, get done cute containers and left overs home Iwoth your guests. I would not leave it in the house.

Lynda

That's such a great idea! Thank you. That would work for me. I could measure out what I was saving for us and give away the rest. That would limit the damage but still allow us to enjoy a bit.

This is ME!!! OMG! It's pitiful! Hah

I am lucky (I guess) in that I can have anything in the house. I won't eat it. My problem starts if I have ONE bite. I no lo comprende One Bite. If I never have the first bite I am fine. If I have the first bite, Game Over.

Me and my fat brain Skippy.

I've been on every diet known to man. Thats why I was banded, so I wouldn't have to diet again. I lost 104 lbs eating whatever I wanted, just much less of it. That being said:

Last year my band slipped (what happens when u eat too fast and vomit almost every meal). After many unfills/fills/tweaks, it herniated. I had a sleeve revision 4 mths ago. I kept my philosphy about dieting. I eat everything (bread, potatoes, Pasta, Cookies, etc) but a very small amt. Now, THAT being said:

I'm now stuck at 153. The scale hasn't budged in 2 mths. Haven't gained (thank God). I've been reevaluating my diet, trying to figure out how to get to the elusive "GOAL". Guess I'm gunna have to start counting something (be calories, carbs, whatever) and eat my words of wisdom "Eat everything, just a few bites of it" cuz it's not working anymore.

My goal is to maintain until after the holidays. The, I will start counting calories and watching the crap I put into my mouth. Sample of my food intake (yesterday)

8:30 am: 1/4 pumpkin bagel with whipped cream cheese and coffee with sf Creamer

12:00: Handful of chocolate covered almonds

1:00: About 10 pineapple chunks (guestimate since I didn't measure it)

3:00: 1/3 of an In and Out cheeseburger (without onions, that might save 4 calories!), maybe 12 fries

6:30: About 5 bites of shake and Bake chicken breast, about 8 bites of mashed potatoes and maybe 5 bites of cooked carrots

9:00: About 10 bites of reheated mashed potatoes from dinner (with chicken gravy)

10:00: A handful of cheese Its and a small handful of Cinnamon Life Cereal

Did I mention the glass of red wine I have everynite also?

Far from healthy. But it's also probly under 1200 calories (I occasionally will count on my fitnesspal and I rarely go over 1200). Ok, where was I going with this? Oh yeah. My philosophy:

It WAS eat everything, just small amounts. Now that it's ceasing to work, I guess I'm gunna have to step up my game and actually count everything that goes into my mouth if I want to reach goal.

Yup. If it's forbidden, I want it. If I am told no, I do it twice. Unrelated/related story here. When my husband and I were first married, we both had good jobs, no kids, we had a house, new cars, we were very comfortable. I was out shopping and I found a ring I really wanted. It was about $400 and when I called him and told him I was going to buy it, he said NO. WHUCK MOTHA FUCKA!?!?! Like a good wife, I "obeyed". I bought a tennis Bracelet instead. It wasn't $400. Add a zero plus a lot. HA! He's not told me NO since.

. Wish there was a "love" button on here!

I've been on every diet known to man. Thats why I was banded, so I wouldn't have to diet again. I lost 104 lbs eating whatever I wanted, just much less of it. That being said:

Last year my band slipped (what happens when u eat too fast and vomit almost every meal). After many unfills/fills/tweaks, it herniated. I had a sleeve revision 4 mths ago. I kept my philosphy about dieting. I eat everything (bread, potatoes, Pasta, Cookies, etc) but a very small amt. Now, THAT being said:

I'm now stuck at 153. The scale hasn't budged in 2 mths. Haven't gained (thank God). I've been reevaluating my diet, trying to figure out how to get to the elusive "GOAL". Guess I'm gunna have to start counting something (be calories, carbs, whatever) and eat my words of wisdom "Eat everything, just a few bites of it" cuz it's not working anymore.

My goal is to maintain until after the holidays. The, I will start counting calories and watching the crap I put into my mouth. Sample of my food intake (yesterday)

8:30 am: 1/4 pumpkin bagel with whipped cream cheese and coffee with sf creamer

12:00: Handful of chocolate covered almonds

1:00: About 10 pineapple chunks (guestimate since I didn't measure it)

3:00: 1/3 of an In and Out cheeseburger (without onions, that might save 4 calories!), maybe 12 fries

6:30: About 5 bites of shake and Bake chicken breast, about 8 bites of mashed potatoes and maybe 5 bites of cooked carrots

9:00: About 10 bites of reheated mashed potatoes from dinner (with chicken gravy)

10:00: A handful of cheese Its and a small handful of Cinnamon Life Cereal

Did I mention the glass of red wine I have everynite also?

Far from healthy. But it's also probly under 1200 calories (I occasionally will count on my fitnesspal and I rarely go over 1200). Ok, where was I going with this? Oh yeah. My philosophy:

It WAS eat everything, just small amounts. Now that it's ceasing to work, I guess I'm gunna have to step up my game and actually count everything that goes into my mouth if I want to reach goal.

My guess is if you just adjusted a bit, you'd be fine! You have very little Protein and are pretty carb heavy. Replace some of those high sugar Snacks with Protein and you'd be golden!

Have you tried the cocoa dusted almonds? They are yummy! There are coffee mocha flavored, too, that are delish.

eggs or greek yogurt instead of a bagel, half the pineapple and add some cheese... You know what to do. Shift the balance and still enjoy a bit of what you love. :)

I've been on every diet known to man. Thats why I was banded, so I wouldn't have to diet again. I lost 104 lbs eating whatever I wanted, just much less of it. That being said: Last year my band slipped (what happens when u eat too fast and vomit almost every meal). After many unfills/fills/tweaks, it herniated. I had a sleeve revision 4 mths ago. I kept my philosphy about dieting. I eat everything (bread, potatoes, Pasta, Cookies, etc) but a very small amt. Now, THAT being said: I'm now stuck at 153. The scale hasn't budged in 2 mths. Haven't gained (thank God). I've been reevaluating my diet, trying to figure out how to get to the elusive "GOAL". Guess I'm gunna have to start counting something (be calories, carbs, whatever) and eat my words of wisdom "Eat everything, just a few bites of it" cuz it's not working anymore. My goal is to maintain until after the holidays. The, I will start counting calories and watching the crap I put into my mouth. Sample of my food intake (yesterday) 8:30 am: 1/4 pumpkin bagel with whipped cream cheese and coffee with sf creamer 12:00: Handful of chocolate covered almonds 1:00: About 10 pineapple chunks (guestimate since I didn't measure it) 3:00: 1/3 of an In and Out cheeseburger (without onions, that might save 4 calories!), maybe 12 fries 6:30: About 5 bites of shake and Bake chicken breast, about 8 bites of mashed potatoes and maybe 5 bites of cooked carrots 9:00: About 10 bites of reheated mashed potatoes from dinner (with chicken gravy) 10:00: A handful of cheese Its and a small handful of Cinnamon Life cereal Did I mention the glass of red wine I have everynite also? Far from healthy. But it's also probly under 1200 calories (I occasionally will count on my fitnesspal and I rarely go over 1200). Ok, where was I going with this? Oh yeah. My philosophy: It WAS eat everything, just small amounts. Now that it's ceasing to work, I guess I'm gunna have to step up my game and actually count everything that goes into my mouth if I want to reach goal.

Curious when you are eating your bagel are you drinking coffee at the same time? I ask because you put them at the same time. At four months you are still in the prime losing phase. I would look at your diet and make some changes to it with healthy Protein and veggies., Also your schedule is more like all day snacking with no "real" meals....

I know you didn't ask my opinion..

But you know what they say about opinions.. :D

Marfar, I got very sick with chronic and acute gallbladder disease about 5 years ago. I dropped something like 40 pounds with no effort (although it was not pleasant!) and I had your philosophy at that time. It was hard to eat, so I'd take a few bites. I was living on about half the food I'd normally eat and in all honesty (like yours, above) it was not high quality. It wasn't horrible, but I went by what I was craving rather than trying to be healthy because I could eat so little it didn't really matter.

So I thought. The problem was that when I started to be able to eat again, about two months after the operation, I naturally went to the cheeseburger, the toast for Breakfast, etc. And I steadily gained weight for the next 4-5 years, with one exception…when I went on Optifast about halfway through. By that point I really think my metabolism gave up on me. And my head didn't help. Somewhere in there, I believe that I have to be desperately ill or depressed to lose weight. I fight this every day. I still don't always believe that healthy choices will lead to weight loss.

I wish that I had had the foresight to make healthier substitutions then. I'm in the pureed stage right now and so my eating still feels semi-disordered. But as long as I have this time period where I should be able to lose, I don't want to go back to the old habits because my fear is that more and more food will slip through, or be easier to digest than the Proteins, and I won't get enough out of the baby sleeve.

The thing that I would be concerned about is how the sugar in your choices affects your insulin production. Sweet begets craving for sweets. But I also agree that it's not that much food. I think Lipstick Lady has some solid advice there.

Good luck to you. I'm pulling for you!