Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Something Wrong?

I had my surgery on September 17th of this year - so I'm around 2 months out. About five days ago, I woke up having heart palpitations. I've never had anything like that before. I'd missed my Vitamins for two days (we've had some problems with our home we were trying to get fixed and it slipped my mind) so my mom thought maybe my potassium was low. Anyway, I took my vitamins and the palpitations slowed down and were more infrequent, but they didn't stop completely. Since then, my chest has felt heavy and I've been EXTREMELY tired. I have no idea what's going on. I called my doctors office and the dietitian said I might be dehydrated. So I called my family doctor to get an order to go get some Fluid (which I will be doing later this evening once my son is asleep) but the nurse called me back and said that palpitations are NOT a symptom of dehydration and I should see my cardiologist. I told her I don't have a cardiologist so she said I should see my family doctor. I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else? I've been just GREAT since my surgery - no problems at all. No intolerance to any foods and I've never even thrown up once since having surgery. This whole time I've been thinking "When is it going to hit the fan!?" and now I'm really afraid that there is something wrong with me. My chest has been really heavy feeling for days and I've had some palpitations off and on and I've been totally exhausted. I can't keep my eyes open. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Do you have a fever, even a low grade one? I very much doubt forgoing the Vitamins for 2 days would result in your current predicament. Definitely get to your doctor's office. You know your body better than anyone, and if something feels not right you need to get it addressed ASAP.

Nope. No fever. I was fine the day before. It just kind of happened suddenly. It was first thing in the morning - right when I woke up.

Can you get in today? I might be a bit of a hypochondriac, but if I had anything like that happen this close to surgery I would want it checked out.

I say go see your dr. Pronto. Let them check you electrolytes, vitamins..all of it

Not to alarm you, but have you considered the emergency room?

I feel like the extreme fatigue is very worrisome. I have read that heart attack symptoms in women are very different from men and that extreme tiredness can be one of them.

You may be way too young for such a thing, I just felt like I should at least mention it!

Take care!!

I have always gotten palpitations, along with extreme fatigue, when my Iron was low. For years now, I've been taking prescribed iron supplements. Also, hormones being out of whack can cause palpitations as well. These are just some of the minor causes. Of course, it could also be something more serious. You should definitely see your doctor to be checked out. A simple EKG and blood test can give all kinds of answers. Good luck! ETA: a heart attack does not discriminate; age doesn't matter.

Thanks you guys. I am at the ER right now. They just took me back. One good thing - I just weighed in at 331!!!!!

I'm so glad!! I was worried!

Good luck to you and keep us posted when you can.

PS congrats on the weight :)

Potassium was low. I still have to get my Iron checked. Getting iv Fluid and I have to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours. Oddly enough, the guy who put on my monitor had the sleeve done by the same doctor as me! Also, they gave me two big huge potassium pills to take. Are those okay to swallow?

Potassium was low. I still have to get my Iron checked. Getting iv Fluid and I have to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours. Oddly enough, the guy who put on my monitor had the sleeve done by the same doctor as me! Also, they gave me two big huge potassium pills to take. Are those okay to swallow?

Glad to hear you got some answers. Yes at 2 months post op you should be able to take just about any pills no problem.

Well, I'm home now. I have my heart monitor on and I'll return it tomorrow. The doctor never got the results for my B12 back, but my Iron was good. I took two huge potassium pills and they gave me Fluid and I am already feeling better some. He said he thinks I'm having PVC's because my heart - like the rest of my body - is just readjusting from the surgery. He was SUPER nice! He said just give it a few months and everything should line out.

So glad you are ok. Glad you sought medical help. Take care of yourself.