Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Vs Sleeve Vs Bypass Surgery

This staple stuff mentioned in this thread is nonsense - those of you presurgery - speak to your own surgeon and get facts. It is a waste of time to even debate things like this.

I have a longer history with bariatric surgery than many others. In 2001, i had the lapband implanted shortly before they were FDA approved. I was living in Europe at the time and my surgery was done by a very well known bariatric surgeon there.

I was not successful with it and I can give lots of reasons - but the reality of it is that I only lost about 55% of what I needed to lose AND then I started having complications (uncontrolled reflux was the primary symptom) and eventually alot of vomiting - my problems started in the first 5-6 months post op. I never had it overfilled, I did work closely with my surgeon the first year or two, I was just one of those people that had problems. I had to have all the Fluid removed after about 2 years out and wound up regaining what I lost. Many will sing the chorus that I needed to have just eaten better... well duh... but reality if it is that MOST people who have Fluid completely removed wind up regaining.

Even with zero fluid, the band gave me problems and after many years of denial (ie ignoring my symptoms) I finally had it removed. I can honestly say it degraded my quality of life for 10 years and i was still obese. I have negative feelings about my experience, but, I made the choice and lived with the consequences.

I revised to the sleeve nearly 2 years ago and have had success beyond my dreams. It has been complication free, painfree, vomit free. It saved my life so of course I am biased to think it is awesome. I can't even begin to express how glorious it is to be a nice medium/size 8... compared to the 3x/26W (and who knows really what size since I smushed into clothes) that I started with.

this is just one persons story - and is not the basis that ANY pre-ops should make their decisions on. You should seriously do your research and decide on your own; but I implore you to get actual information from medical studies, from reputable and experienced surgeons. People out here (including me) sharing our own personal stories is not research - it is more like FYI data points.

I am not anti gastric bypass, it was what the first surgeon I saw wanted me to revise to. I somehow just never got comfortable with it and so didn't. I have however known several people who are very successful with the bypass and are very happy living with the procedure over their life. The published studies clearly indicate that the gastric bypass has good results and the complication rate if I recall was only slightly higher than the sleeve.

Now, the reason I personally didn't consider the plication is because i felt like I got the band when results were not deep and plentiful enough to make a good decision. Frankly, I didn't really know how to research and I think didn't ask the right people the right questions either. Anyway, I just could not get comfortable trying something that wasn't broadly done. I felt a certain sense of "running out of time" and needed to do something that was more commonly done and had more information readily available to me. Again, that is just my own bias from my history of the lapband - gunshy about these things now.

Nobody discusses the DS (duenodal switch) which is by far the riskiest but also most successful surgery. I have to tell you I thought about it, but felt like it was such a big step. I have since found out from plastic surgeons in the USA that their highest complication rates are from DS patients I guess because they have malabsorption bigtime. Of course, DS patients get to eat high fat/high calorie diets compared to sleevers so there are certainly advantages. For some people, this surgery should be looked at seriously - people that are very very high BMI have the best chance of getting to a normal weight with a DS.

Anyway, it is a very personal subject and I really want preops to learn about the procedures and understand how it will impact their lives. It is helpful if people share experiences, but remember we are all very biased based on our own personal experiences. Each procedure has pros and cons, successess and failures, complication risks and long term concerns... but luckily for most of us you can live a pretty normal life once you are past that initial preop period (I never could with the filled band due to the vomiting but others do okay with the band).

Get the surgery, work the tool, lose the weight and get on with living a full life!

I do have a question though and forgive my ignorance but, once you meet your goals with a sleeve, how do you stop losing? I've got a couple of people I know that are sleeved and they lost so much weight so quickly that they just look ill. They can't stop losing and have surpassed their goals. I'm just curious how to control the sleeve or bypass from a maintenance stand point.

In my experience, I went into this looking at the band. But when I learned that the band had so many complications and the possible complication of mangling my stomach and the fact it wasn't a permanent solution, I decided on the vertical sleeve. I knew that my old habits would sneak back in and that I would find a way to eat around the band, plus I know several people that had the band and after 2 years she looked like she hadn't lost any weight. During the options program of 12 weeks at Kaiser, I knew that I didn't want the RnY bc I didn't want my intestines rerouted either. I knew the sleeve was the procedure for me bc it was permanent and after all, we really don't need to eat that much food either. I have lost 100% of my EWL and I'm totally happy with it. I have heard of very few individuals that lost too much weight. Some people have difficulties getting to go bc our bodies adjust to our eating habits........So no matter which surgery we chose, we will have to do the mental work to not sabotage our success. Yes I have had 85% of my stomach removed, and yes it was permanent. There is no going back now.....My weight loss is still up to what I chose to put in my mouth. At least I'm not hungry all the time. :P

This is a choice each one of us have to make for ourselves. This is very personal. But I will say this is the best choice for me......I'm successful with my weight........ :P

How the hell do you sheet staples out when they are not INSIDE the stomach? And I'll tell you.. No way on Gods green earth would I want my surgeon using wimpy disposable stape to keep one of my organs intact.

And some ordered why I said I couldn't find a Washington/PNW dr I was confidant in.

Oh and BTW. Both my daughters have band and are both over 200lbs

No matter what band adjustments they got the band was never successful for them. One is having a revision Dec 13th. She's so excited because she has watched my revision success.

How the hell do you sheet staples out when they are not INSIDE the stomach? And I'll tell you.. No way on Gods green earth would I want my surgeon using wimpy disposable stape to keep one of my organs intact. And some ordered why I said I couldn't find a Washington/PNW dr I was confidant in.

Umm... Couldn't find a good doc in Washington???

My girl, you had the best most cutting edge surgeon using modern techniques (shitable staples) right under your nose!!!

You just wanted to go to Mexico to see the zebra donkey...

post-167126-0-26796200-1385244694_thumb.jpg

How the hell do you sheet staples out when they are not INSIDE the stomach? And I'll tell you.. No way on Gods green earth would I want my surgeon using wimpy disposable stape to keep one of my organs intact. <br> And some ordered why I said I couldn't find a Washington/PNW dr I was confidant in.

Thank you! I was shaking my head asking the same question. The human digestive system requires it go through a series of "steps" before being deposited into our toilets.

Thank you! I was shaking my head asking the same question. The human digestive system requires it go through a series of "steps" before being deposited into our toilets.

not to mention * ouch*

My SIL had her bypass preformed at Rockwood. I will have her put the question to her surgeon at her 3 month ck up. I'm confused... I was told the staples stayed. I knida feel better knowing there. Weird.... Must be a select few that are doing it?? I WILL find out. :D

My SIL had her bypass preformed at Rockwood. I will have her put the question to her surgeon at her 3 month ck up. I'm confused... I was told the staples stayed. I knida feel better knowing there. Weird.... Must be a select few that are doing it?? I WILL find out. :D

It is a select few who misunderstood something they were told and are spreading false information (probably innocently) online. That's why it is always best to do your own research and not just on Internet forums.

Really quick the staples they use for sleeve are so small you more than likely wont even see them when you poop them out! Gross but true!

Is this true for the bypass at Rockwood? I'm really trying to understand.

I might have missed it but did you say its something new at Rockwood?

No offence but I am confused. ;)

And were your staples on the inside of your stomach? Again no offence.

Umm... Couldn't find a good doc in Washington???

My girl, you had the best most cutting edge surgeon using modern techniques (shitable staples) right under your nose!!!

You just wanted to go to Mexico to see the zebra donkey...

attachicon.gif:

This cracked me up.. I have a pic of me sitting with the donkbra

And were your staples on the inside of your stomach? Again no offence.

I'm thinking there was just a misunderstanding here. If the staples fell into the digestive track to be pooped, they had to be on the inside of the stomach....but if they were, how did he get the stapler in there? Or out again?

I'm thinking there was just a misunderstanding here. If the staples fell into the digestive track to be pooped, they had to be on the inside of the stomach....but if they were, how did he get the stapler in there? Or out again?

Dissolving stapler, OBVIOUSLY.

Butterbean said: how did he get the stapler in there? Or out again?

There is only way to the inside that doesn't involve cutting.. via the esophagus... and that's filled up with bougie paraphernalia, as I understand. It just doesn't make sense... not as I understand basic anatomy and surgical techniques. I'm not infallible of course (damn, it hurts to admit that) but I am pretty well versed in these things.

As someone said earlier, not really worth debating, but a pleasant diversion from weekend housework, for me at least.

Up the arse!!!!