Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Vs Sleeve Vs Bypass Surgery

Pfft that is not my sole source of research..... *shakes head*

Yes I would search far and wide with your research...

As prestigious as Sacramento magazine may be..

I would question your surgeons motivation behind her comments..

Perhaps she enjoys the repeat medical appointments that she will share with her banded clients? Or perhaps it's a competency issue with performing the sleeve surgery?

I notice she does revision surgery..

One of the surgery she offers is the bypass which is a great surgery but involves cutting and staples also.

********************Thanks I have searched far and wide I am not "special" lol!!! The reason she prefers the bypass over the sleeve is LESS staples. LESS tissue manipulation. LESS amount of tissue to heal properly. MORE area of possible leaks. That is just HER Medical Opinion. And just because her opinion does not coincide with others opinions does not mean that she is not competent or enjoys repeat medical appointments. Why are you guys so defensive? It's not like I'm saying the sleeve is a POS and warning people not to get it like you seem to be doing about the band!! I'm simply sharing information. I really don't care what everyone else chooses for their WLS.. I just know about ME.

I'm gifted! Hahaha!

Lol but really I do wish you luck (not that you'll need it) with the band I think it will be a good procedure for you :)

I'm really undecided still. I just want to get all kinds of information first. Band, bypass, sleeve, who knows! Lol

Thanks ;)

I'm really undecided still. I just want to get all kinds of information first. Band, bypass, sleeve, who knows! Lol Thanks ;)

I enjoyed going to face to face support groups to meet people who had different types of procedures.

Lynda

Re the "dissolving staples" - which really intrigue me - I've found reference to them being used to "buttress" or "reinforce" the staple line (I presume in the same way that some docs suture or glue over their staple lines), but I've not seen any reference to them being used as a first line of defence - in place of titanium staples. Perhaps that explains reference to "tiny staples"???? I think relatively large staples are needed to go through 2 layers of stomach wall.

The staples I've seen referred to are "poly glycolic", so a bio dissolvable product - not one that breaks down and is excreted via the gut.

I'd love to hear if others know more - I get asked about my sleeve all the time, and like to able to pass on different/better/worse techniques I've heard of.

My staples ain't going anywhere - my surgeon oversews the staple line and also covers it with glue. Ain't now way my stomach is going to leak. I'm 6 weeks out now, so that danger has passed anyway. There is no way on this earth that titanium staples from sleeve gastrectomy can enter the alimentary tract, even if the staples worked loose (which they do not). The only way for someone to poop staples if if they swallowed them.

I chose the sleeve - less hassle than the band, less complications than the band, and a permanent solution to my battle of the bulge. Plus, hardly any docs in NZ still do the band - success rates too depressingly low.

I originally wanted the RNY because I heard this was the gold standard, but my surgeon told me that VSG is rapidly becoming the gold standard bariatric surgery now. Simple, relatively cheap, low complication rate and high success rate. Plus fewer problems with absorbtion and dumping issues.

None of us like to focus on the risks involved but this seems to be a relatively balanced article/chart that includes some personal experience comments from readers:

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/bariatric-surgery-complications.html

None of us like to focus on the risks involved but this seems to be a relatively balanced article/chart that includes some personal experience comments from readers:

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/bariatric-surgery-complications.html

A lot of information here.

Wait......staples are pooped out?!?!?! I have NEVER heard that before lol!!!

Re the "dissolving staples" - which really intrigue me - I've found reference to them being used to "buttress" or "reinforce" the staple line (I presume in the same way that some docs suture or glue over their staple lines), but I've not seen any reference to them being used as a first line of defence - in place of titanium staples. Perhaps that explains reference to "tiny staples"???? I think relatively large staples are needed to go through 2 layers of stomach wall. The staples I've seen referred to are "poly glycolic", so a bio dissolvable product - not one that breaks down and is excreted via the gut. I'd love to hear if others know more - I get asked about my sleeve all the time, and like to able to pass on different/better/worse techniques I've heard of.

The only staples that I'm aware of that don't stay in place are the sugar based ones that you referenced....but again, the break down and to my knowledge are not excreted....tiny or not, I'm baffled!

A lot of information here.

Maybe too much, but I appreciate that the study the big chart of complications was based on is from the NIH. The complication rates looked much more like what I saw when I researched ahead of time. The article referenced way above (comparison of band to sleeve) quotes complication rates that I have never seen anywhere else. (Maybe from that surgeon's own practice?) Also the part about recovery was crazily exaggerated, at least based on what I have seen here and elsewhere.

But that's also why I liked this one. It gives people the opportunity to share their stories so it's not just a bunch of facts on the page. And to be clear, I am only for or against any surgery for ME, in the context of what will fit into my life and lifestyle.