Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Vs Sleeve Vs Bypass Surgery

RE: Foreign objects in our bodies

I totally respect everyone's WLS decision but let me point out something. Very few of us ever make it through our lives without some kind of foreign object being placed within, or on our bodies. Here's a short list of medical contraptions many of us will endure before we assume room temperature:

I'm sure the list can go on and on but if you're researching the band, take this into consideration as you check off pros and cons. There are certainly other issues with the band that might dissuade someone from the band but foreign objects in the body shouldn't be at the top of the won't do list?

tmf

I am really happy about the foreign objects in my body, aside from my band, I have two artificial knees and would probably be in a wheel chair rather than a mountain bike if it weren't for them. Heck, feeling the port under my skin is very comforting, lets me know that it is real and things are different now.

RE: Foreign objects in our bodiesI totally respect everyone's WLS decision but let me point out something. Very few of us ever make it through our lives without some kind of foreign object being placed within, or on our bodies. Here's a short list of medical contraptions many of us will endure before we assume room temperature:False teethDental implantsFillings and capsJoint replacements, knee, hipMetal plates and screws for broken bones and spinal fusionsArtery stintsHeart valve replacementsOrgan transplantsSilicone or saline implantsLigament transplants(Cadaver and man made)Penile implantsInk(Tats)Body piercingsPacemakersDefibsHearing aidsI'm sure the list can go on and on but if you're researching the band, take this into consideration as you check off pros and cons. There are certainly other issues with the band that might dissuade someone from the band but foreign objects in the body shouldn't be at the top of the won't do list?tmf

Love the way you put this!

I have posted before that I have a Aunt that is a retired R.N. and she has had her stomache stapled twice then had bypass surger and then she went for the lapband and then she had to have I forgot wich one , because when they got in there they found her liver was connected to her stomache , and my cousin went for the Ryn and she has lost so much weight she doesn't look healthy or like herself at all and she sort of looks likes a skeleton with skin ,and my friend that I work with either had it a yr. or 2 before me the lap band that is

, so I watched them all with their complications or not and then I went to a seminar and did my research asked a lot of question about the difference in each one and then I decided since the band is reversible I chose I chose to do that and I am 94 lbs down since surgery 14 months ago it has been slow but it is working as I had to buy smaller clothes , I started at 320lbs got down to 276 pre op and starting losing weight a few weeks after surgery post op and still going , this is why I chose the band and like it, what you choose is up to you , but ask , do research and don't be afraid to ask ANY questions .

I'm a sleever and while choosing what WLS is best for you is really more about YOU than what I say, I will put forth my reasons for choosing the sleeve.

In all honesty, when I first decided I wanted WLS, I wanted a band. I had long thought about RNY but I was worried about malabsorption, and the restrictions due to medication. Even though I don't take any medication on a daily basis, (God willing) I have a lot of life yet to live and I didn't want to be restricted in any way due to having WLS. So I focused on the band. When I learned about the *possible* negatives to the band, erosion, slipping, cracked tubing, ports flipping, etc. even that didn't scare me away as much because honestly that stuff can be replaced. But when I learned about PBing your food or your medication, or God forbid, Water...that sealed the deal. I will do just about everything humanly possible to avoid having food come back up. I've never even drank so much alcohol that it made me vomit. Never! I've also never thrown up or slimed or PB'd or anything remotely like that since being sleeved 3 years ago. Not even right after surgery...had the patch behind my ear to keep nausea at bay. There are long-term band people who will say "I've only PB'd 4 times in 4 years!" but to me, that is TOO many! I decided that for me personally that I can't live like that.

I also believe that with the band there is always a chance of having to do another surgery (as I mentioned parts can break and slip, but they can also be replaced) but for me I wanted ONE surgery and DONE. I didn't want to have to worry that in 2, 5, 10 years I would need to go back in and have a tune-up on anything. I've been sleeved for over 3 years and seriously have not had one single complication. Surgery recovery was pretty easy, I don't take any type of PPI (no reflux), and now 3 years later I still don't take any medication for anything. I'm healthier now than I have ever been in my entire adult life.

The sleeve also puts me in control. I decide WHAT I'm going to eat, WHEN I'm going to eat it and the sleeve pretty much takes care of HOW much I can eat at one time. I max out at about 3-4oz of dense Protein. I can squeeze a bit of "other" food in there but my meals rarely go over the 5oz mark total.

So yep, you can come here and hear the good, the bad and ugly about each surgery, and they are all REAL experiences with real people who are living life post WLS, but you will have to look at what is best for you. Best wishes on your continued journey!

For me the sleeve is relatively new hadn't heard of it until about a year ago so that's why I didn't have that surgery. I certainly didn't want to be all cut into, stapled, etc with the possibility of gaining my weight back. I have relatives and friends that have had gastric bypass and you would never know because they have gained all their weight back. What a waste of money and having your body cut like that. So the lapband was my option. It's reversible although I don't plan on having it taken out. I lost 88 pounds in two and a half yrs with my band. I will be three years banded next month. It was the best decision for me. I suffer with osteoarthritis and have not been on any medications in over two years. I'm not diabetic or have any other issues that go along with being overweight. Good luck on your decision.

Hi all! When my weight started effecting my general health more and more, it was time to go the next step. Diets don't work (for me). I needed help! I got an appointment with the bariatric docs at my hospital and they approved me for RNY or the sleeve. I had never heard about the sleeve, so I went to work and did some research. I have AFib, and need to take aspirin, my Cardiologist would only approve a surgery that allowed me to take aspirin. I also found out that the sleeve can be scoped (RNY keeps your stomach in your abdomen, but you can't get to it with a scope) The whole foreign body thing and being accountable to dr visits for fills and such... not very appealing to me. Why was having 85%of my stomach appealing? :P? Go figure. There is a long history of people needing their stomachs removed with little or no bad effects. The pyloris is in place, the stomach works pretty much like before, except less hunger hormone production. I went with the sleeve, its been 3 years, and no problems, slowly got to goal, I take aspirin every day, I can eat what I want. I did need to change my lifestyle, exercise, eat better and less, and deal with my head.... we will all need to do this to some degree or another. Best of luck!

As someone who has battled the weight demon for 30 years and failed at so many diets, I hit a place where it was either "do something drastic" or "give up". I gave up for months - getting rid of all of my smaller clothes and telling myself that was just the way it was going to be. Then I came across a Facebook post from a friend of mine who was banded about three years ago. She was wildly successful and lost well over 100 pounds. This was after she had gone through multiple rounds of unsuccessful fertility treatments. Low and behold - she had just had a baby. I thought that if she could so turn her life around, maybe I should make a bigger effort before calling it quits. I told my daughter I was thinking about WLS and she offered to go to a seminar with me. The center offers lap band, sleeve and bypass. In checking my insurance I was eligible for band or sleeve. I wasn't pressured into one surgery over another - it was strictly my choice. I ended up going with the sleeve. I liked the idea of "one and done". I didn't want to be tied to going to a doctor regularly for adjustments and the center only covers so many fills. It was an instinctive choice for me and one I am happy with. Best of luck to you!

I chose the band because I was afraid of losing half my stomach or having my intestines rerouted. I wasn't something that I can remove with less of a mortality risk.

I've read through all of the posts and I guess I will be the first to speak on behalf of us RNY-ers!

Hi Hayley! I'm having RNY done on the 22nd, in less than a week. Here is the thought process behind why I chose to have RNY:

I have been heavy my entire life and know that I will continue to be heavy until I do something about it. RNY is a huge step however, I believe it is the right WLS choice for me because I have quite a bit of weight to lose. My starting weight was 345 pounds. Today, I am down to 325 pounds and hope to be 320 pounds when I go in for surgery. My BMI is 52. I know that choosing to have this surgery will mean that I am now committed to a lifetime of taking Vitamins. RNY-ers have malabsorption issues. That being said, I'd say that out of all the WLS choices that we have the strictest guidelines and "phases" for eating.

I would recommend RNY if you have been heavy your whole life, if you have a large amount of weight to lose (over 150 pounds) and if you feel as if this will be what you need to get you on the right path to weight loss.

No one can tell you what surgery to choose - only you can do that however, I have seen some fantastic responses to your questions. We all seem to be very supportive of each other, no matter what the WLS is/was. I would attend an informational seminar and find a surgeon whom you TRUST and CONNECT WITH. 80% of my decision to have RNY, was based on 1 conversation with my surgeon the first time I met him because like you, I was unsure.

Good Luck and I wish you all the best! -Lindsay

In Australia, and I believe in Europe too, the band and bypass are hardly done anymore. The band used to be extremely popular in Australia. I believe we were #1 in the world.

Also, though VSG for weight loss is a new surgery, gastrectomy for stomach cancer or other stomach problems is a very old surgery, much older than any of the other bariatric procedures. It is possible to live a relatively normal life with no stomach at all. Of course, those old gastrectomy surgeries were all laparotic (open surgeries, not laparoscopic), so the fact that it is laparoscopic adds even more reassurance to me.

But for me, the sleeve seemed the least invasive and lowest maintenance over time. No fills and fewer possible Vitamin and mineral deficiencies (though you do still need to supplement with the sleeve). No limitations on medications I can take when I get old. No limitations on endoscopes or feeding tubes if I am sick later in my life.

Also, I CAN eat anything. (It doesn't mean I choose to). Quantity is the main thing affected (though there is emerging evidence of some malabsorption and decreased transit time with the sleeve as well). Also, the sleeve can be modified into the bypass or DS if medically needed, but you can't go the other way.

I love hearing all your experiences and journeys. I feel hearing these personal experiences is more valuable than any class I can take. Thank you all for your stories, advice and wishes. !!!

I love hearing all your experiences and journeys. I feel hearing these personal experiences is more valuable than any class I can take. Thank you all for your stories, advice and wishes. !!!

No matter which surgery you end up deciding is right for you, know that you will always find support on this site. Best wishes to you on your journey!!

I want to contribute one more thing here. My WLS journey started in a manner that was not to lose weight. For 20 years I have had terrible acid reflux. So much so that for the last few years I've been on 2 Prilosec a day just to keep it in control. The aftermath of reflux was terrible. I would get headaches, stomach pains, few trips to the emergency room when my stomach would try and dump the acid and frequent diarrhea from too much acid in my system. I would try and diet but the less I ate, my stomach would turn that over very quickly and leave me with uncontrollable reflux which would make me eat more to try and keep my stomach busy. After working with my doc for several years to try and find food allergies, diets and pills, I went in one day wanting his blessing for Nissen Fundoplication surgery. For those who don't know it's a procedure where they wrap the stomach around the esophagus in an effort to tighten the esophagus opening and reinforce its closing function. It was at this point that he advised me to research the band because it was essentially the same type of concept but would also help me drop the 100+ I needed to lose. I trust my doc with my life and was interested in the process. He also informed me that I would end up having surgery one way or the other. Either to try and repair my eroding insides or repair stomach/esophagus cancer. I honestly only did moderate research in the beginning because I was mainly trusting in him that he knew what was best for my situation. I scheduled my pre op required appointments and started my band journey. As I grew closer to surgery I began to dig deeper into the other surgeries. I kept coming back to the thought that the band would help me the most with my reflux and weight loss was just going to be a bonus. I am happy to report that since my surgery I have been reflux free and dieting for the first time in my life has become easy and enjoyable. I am not sure of cases where the other surgeries do or don't help with reflux but from my point of view the band just made the most sense to help me, help me.

I have two cousins that had gastric bypass and two cousins that had lapband and one of my cousins that had GB almost died twice from complications and the two that have lapband were doing good when they were actually taking care of their band. I didn't want half of my stomach gone so that's why I decided the band. I watched so many YouTube videos on success with lapband and I researched for about 6 months. To be honest gastric bypass and the sleeve weren't even in my mind when I thought about weight loss surgery. Every surgery will have its complications ESPECIALLY if you go against rules but I think only you can decide what you believe is best. My opinion lapband might not take it off as quick as gastric bypass but with weight loss I know slow and steady wins the race.

I have two cousins that had gastric bypass and two cousins that had lapband and one of my cousins that had GB almost died twice from complications and the two that have lapband were doing good when they were actually taking care of their band. I didn't want half of my stomach gone so that's why I decided the band. I watched so many YouTube videos on success with lapband and I researched for about 6 months. To be honest gastric bypass and the sleeve weren't even in my mind when I thought about weight loss surgery. Every surgery will have its complications ESPECIALLY if you go against rules but I think only you can decide what you believe is best. My opinion lapband might not take it off as quick as gastric bypass but with weight loss I know slow and steady wins the race.

I keep going back and forth. One day I think the band is the way to go and then I hear how easy the sleeve is with little to no maintenance.... I just can't decide what will be bet for me