Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Vs Sleeve Vs Bypass Surgery

(Plication) is considered experimental still and the efficacy is not as good as a stand alone. Also the reversible aspect and ability to convert is in question too..

I agree with this. Folding tissue in on itself so tightly (as must be done to stop particles lodging in the folds), in the very warm, wet and active environment of one's insides, has got to lead to some sort of fusion - perhaps reversible but perhaps not. And what happens to all those grehlin producing cells? Do they stop working or go into overdrive because they are not sensing food?

The plication appealed to me initially but I couldn't find anyone doing it locally. As more questions came to mind I went back to the sleeve.

While VSG alone has only been around for a relatively short timeframe, the stomach reduction part has been done for a long time for stomach cancer and as part of DS. Long studies on those ops sometimes raise concerns about malabsorption, bowel obstruction and inability to scope whole intestinal tract, but so far I haven't seen anything long term on the small stomach per se. GERD can get worse (without DS), and leaks are an issue for first couple of months but not thereafter. Incidentally staples dramatically reduce leaks and blood loss - which is why they have been embraced the world over.

I think the real issue for sleevers is that we don't know if the hormonal benefits we get (reduction of grehlin and insulin) will last long term without small intestinal changes. Note that its these changes that are credited with the higher weight loss 'potential of the sleeve and bypass - food restriction (small portion size and slower eating) and low carb diet also playing a role. I've been told not to expect the hormonal effects to last and to make the most of the first 2 years, but who really knows yet??

And that issue is not a band vs sleeve issue, as those hormonal changes are either slight or absent with the band.

Really, if you are uncomfortable with staples or having a large part if your stomach removed don't do it! I wouldn't. It will be there later on if you get to a place where it starts to seem to be the right thing for you.

I did go to my informational meeting tonight through kaiser and they have basically said band surgeries are seeing a drop. But power to those who have the LapBand and are rocking it! Each have the risks/complications but it seems our risk preferences are what differs. I am surprised how much more interested in RNY I am now, never considered it before but now I think I will look into that equally. Thank you for all comments, seriously I value each I your personal experiences over everything else.

Lololol.....what a crappy, outdated and biased article. Seriously that is a sales pitch written by a doctor who does not do the sleeve. Completely prejudicial and faulty information. Please do not post such misleading information.

You always reply so nasty! Take it easy man its just information. Weather it's from a lap and website or not all those facts are true.. Please no more insults and anger. Were all walking the same path.

I did go to my informational meeting tonight through kaiser and they have basically said band surgeries are seeing a drop. But power to those who have the LapBand and are rocking it! Each have the risks/complications but it seems our risk preferences are what differs. I am surprised how much more interested in RNY I am now, never considered it before but now I think I will look into that equally. Thank you for all comments, seriously I value each I your personal experiences over everything else.

I just got home from yet another seminar and it was so fun hearing everyone's stories, it never gets old. I'm kinda in the same boat. Lol! I came into this not knowing what I wanted. Then I have been flopping back and forth between the band and RNY. I stopped at my sister in laws house who is an RN at Kaiser who works in bariatrics. We had a glass of wine and shot the breeze. Oh how I will miss wine....

Research is such a good thing yes :)

You know when I first started this journey my first thought was the band (nothing against them)

But through independent research I came to the conclusion that the sleeve (evil staples and all :P)

Was the right procedure for me.

Good luck girlie :)

Oh how I will miss wine....

Why need you miss it? It's not great for weight loss, but I certainly enjoy a glass or 2 now and then.

Lololol.....what a crappy, outdated and biased article. Seriously that is a sales pitch written by a doctor who does not do the sleeve. Completely prejudicial and faulty information. Please do not post such misleading information.</blockquote>You always reply so nasty! Take it easy man its just information. Weather it's from a lap and website or not all those facts are true.. Please no more insults and anger. Were all walking the same path.

Sorry. Didn't mean to be nasty. But most of those facts are either outdated, false or clearly slanted to sell lapband which is the surgery performed by that doctor. It's not an objective comparison and there are some very misleading "facts" in there. If that is your sole source of research about the sleeve then you have been mislead.

Again, sorry if I was nasty. My apologies.

One thing I haven't seen addressed is that with VSG the pyloric valve is preserved. That's one of the reasons that firm Protein first is an important post op rule and that people can eat tons of slider foods, such as popcorn and Cookies. I don't want to spend a lot of time explaining what the valve does. There's a lot of info out there if you google it, including a grossly funny tube video.

I've been very happy with my sleeve. In march, I will have two years at goal.

Lynda

Oh how I will miss wine....

Why need you miss it? It's not great for weight loss, but I certainly enjoy a glass or 2 now and then.

Oh thank god! I was thinking I was going to live a life of celibacy!! Hahaha! No smoking, drinking, cheeseburgers! Hahaha!

Lololol.....what a crappy, outdated and biased article. Seriously that is a sales pitch written by a doctor who does not do the sleeve. Completely prejudicial and faulty information. Please do not post such misleading information.

You always reply so nasty! Take it easy man its just information. Weather it's from a lap and website or not all those facts are true.. Please no more insults and anger. Were all walking the same path.</blockquote>

Sorry. Didn't mean to be nasty. But most of those facts are either outdated, false or clearly slanted to sell lapband which is the surgery performed by that doctor. It's not an objective comparison and there are some very misleading "facts" in there. If that is your sole source of research about the sleeve then you have been mislead.

Again, sorry if I was nasty. My apologies.

Pfft that is not my sole source of research..... *shakes head*

Yes I would search far and wide with your research...

As prestigious as Sacramento magazine may be..

I would question your surgeons motivation behind her comments..

Perhaps she enjoys the repeat medical appointments that she will share with her banded clients? Or perhaps it's a competency issue with performing the sleeve surgery?

I notice she does revision surgery..

One of the surgery she offers is the bypass which is a great surgery but involves cutting and staples also.

Oh and yes I drink wine occasionally....

Two curious facts about that though!

One:

I get buzzed damn quick with just a smack of wine!

Two:

As fast as the buzz comes it goes away and I'm back to very sober and stay that way??

The titanium staples are permanent girl, they are in for good. They get covered with scar tissue and thats that. They don't get in the way of MRIs or airport metal detectors! :)</blockquote>Well yours may be but not mine lol! Other wise my dr is a liar which he's not! He told me I had two rows of mini tiny staples that would all fall out and eventually I would poop them out but were do small I wouldn't even see them!!! Maybe my dr does things more modern! You can give him a call if you would like!!! Rockwood clinic spokane wa , dr spitz , but any one will do!</blockquote>No , maybe yours were but things are changing and good drs use tiny rows of staples that fall out over time! Sorry, but your wrong! It is possible for medical advancements! My will fall out in my poop!

I tried to find more info about the medical advances at Rockwood Clinic, but on the surgery description page, http://www.rockwoodclinic.com/services/bariatrics-(weight-loss-surgery-center)/surgical-options, it only lists details for bypass and in their "what Patients Should Know" PDF flyer, it says the only do bypass at Rockwood:

http://www.rockwoodclinic.com/media/16234/patient-focused%20faq%20v3.pdf

However, the "October Information Session" PDF for Deaconess and Rockwood, http://www.rockwoodclinic.com/media/86126/informational%20flyer_october%202013_evening%20session.pdf, says they do all three types of surgery.

I expected to find surgical details on their site since they are using a newer technique for VSG, that, as far as I know, no other doctors are using.

Lynda

Wow....I apologized and you condescend. Ok. I'm glad you have other sources to show you just how truly one sided and ignorant that link truly is.

I just got home from yet another seminar and it was so fun hearing everyone's stories, it never gets old. I'm kinda in the same boat. Lol! I came into this not knowing what I wanted. Then I have been flopping back and forth between the band and RNY. I stopped at my sister in laws house who is an RN at Kaiser who works in bariatrics. We had a glass of wine and shot the breeze. Oh how I will miss wine....

My next door neighbor had the RNY years ago, and she drinks wine without issue. I was banded in March, and I drink wine on occasion……without issue. The only thing is, I get a buzz with the first sip!