Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiw Much Weight Did U Lose...

Before surgery? Was it required? My doc requires 5%.... Which would have been 15... I'm down 24 and I haven't met with him yet... So my hubby and parents keep saying... Maybe you won't have to have the surgery! Anyone else?

I lost about 13 lbs before my VSG.

I lost it in eight days.

If I had to lose weight before it, my surgeon never said anything.

I lost about 13 lbs before my VSG. I lost it in eight days. If I had to lose weight before it, my surgeon never said anything.

For what I can see a lot of drs don't.

My doctor required me to lose 27 pounds before surgery. I've met his goal and exceeded it quite a bit. I actually appreciate that my insurance requires 6 months of weight loss... Last time I thought of doing this I got through 5 months before I realized I wasn't ready. This time I used it as an opportunity to learn about how my eating would change post op (not drinking with meals, trying for small bitesn etc). I'm down 70 pounds. My surgery is coming up next Thursday. The required weight loss showed me just how truly ready I am. Could I do it on my own? Maybe... but I don't want to give myself the opportunity to give up in 6 months. Surgery is my way of always reminding myself of the permanent life change I'm making.

If a doctor doesn't say that you need to lose a certain amount before hand, it could be because you're at a good weight to perform the surgery without having risks.

My pre-op diet including no sugar, low/no calories. I could only drink. No food. Not even Soups.

Each doctor will be different, due to how long they've done it and your own genetics. A full assessment is required.

I saw one surgeon last week who I didn't click with they weighed me. I saw another one today and it's today's weight they will go by.

I saw one surgeon last week who I didn't click with they weighed me. I saw another one today and it's today's weight they will go by. I have 15# to lose by Feb.

The weighing piece is that the pittance of a pound lost didn't matter. It's their scale they go by. My 2nd doctor is a keeper, personable +++ he's the department head at the hospital.

Before surgery? Was it required? My doc requires 5%.... Which would have been 15... I'm down 24 and I haven't met with him yet... So my hubby and parents keep saying... Maybe you won't have to have the surgery! Anyone else?

Have you lost weight before and gained it back? That's the question I ask myself when I question surgery

Have you lost weight before and gained it back? That's the question I ask myself when I question surgery

I guess the pre-op requirements vary, the surgeon assures me that I'll be ready to go for it in February. Besides the weight loss, an MMPI, mammogram cardiologist clearance, and 5 phone coaching calls with my insurance dietician (10 weeks), one more visit next month with the surgeon's dietician.

I think I'm well under way, I tried this in 2010 but as not ready. So glad for the doctor seeing the 'red flags'