Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Career Change Post-Weight-Loss?

mistysj

I have a good career now. I'm a manager in IT and enjoy my work for the most part, and am well-compensated. But since surgery and learning so much about how my body works, I keep thinking about the idea of a career in the medical field. The most attractive career to me at the moment is in medical imaging, maybe as a sonographer.

Where I live, this would be a 4-6 year full-time course of study (not like in the US where I believe it is a 2-year degree) and the top pay would be close to what I make now (I'm mid-range for my career now).

A huge commitment both financially and time-wise.

What is attractive about it? A few things. I find the technology and the interpretation fascinating. It would be really helping people in a very practical way. I could leave work at work. The pay is pretty good. The demand seems high, from the research I have done.

Not sure what this has to do with surgery or weight loss except that I believe in medicine and science, I have benefited from it, and somehow I have more confidence to consider such a thing than I would have before. I think I am also evaluating work-life balance in my current work and seeing some things I would not mind changing. But then, my work-life balance would be a ton worse while studying! Because it wouldn't be fair to my husband to have to earn all the money and support me through school.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts / questions?

Why not take the first course or two, and see how it goes?

Two thoughts. I'm in my 40s and always used to want to go back to medical school. I also have an artist husband who does very well, but I knew at the time that I was really thinking about this (my early 30s) that he probably couldn't handle taking on the responsibility for our kids during residency, etc. I also didn't want to take on the financial burden of taking the necessary undergrad classes and medical school. (That was prescient; it would have suffocated us.) I went to graduate school instead and loved every minute of it.

I wouldn't worry so much about your husband supporting you, if you would do it for him. Marriage is about this kind of compromise.

I went on a work trip this past summer to Germany for a week. I had a wonderful time and it was a great learning experience for me. I was the only hourly employee on a trip with 7 of my bosses and I was also the only female. I learned that the ambassadors representing my company are tacky and a total embarrassment. Every night most were out all night partying only coming in to shower and dress for visiting the company that was making new machinery for us. Everything was very unorganized and I ended up being the go to person for making decisions and giving directions by the hosting company. I tried not to take over the project (I in no way wanted to make my bosses feel like I was representing myself in any other capacity than an employee there with my employers) but in a large way ended up doing just that. I made up my mind then that I want to go back to school to finish my degree and be a better representative than what we apparently have. I'm 38 and have been at my company for almost 13 years and although I've been approached by several people over the years about going back to school, it's never been a good time for my family life. Now that it is a good time we have accumulated an entire new crew of mgmt and none of my bosses know anything of my past performance or cost saving ideas that have been implemented. I still want to finish my degree but now I wonder if it will even do any good. I make better money than most people in my area but it's not all about the money. Any thoughts? Oh and keep in mind that most of my bosses are around the age of 25 and newly out of school. Now that I've had the surgery I feel like with the pounds lost I will gain the self worth I have been lacking to follow through with school.

I went on a work trip this past summer to Germany for a week. I had a wonderful time and it was a great learning experience for me. I was the only hourly employee on a trip with 7 of my bosses and I was also the only female. I learned that the ambassadors representing my company are tacky and a total embarrassment. Every night most were out all night partying only coming in to shower and dress for visiting the company that was making new machinery for us. Everything was very unorganized and I ended up being the go to person for making decisions and giving directions by the hosting company. I tried not to take over the project (I in no way wanted to make my bosses feel like I was representing myself in any other capacity than an employee there with my employers) but in a large way ended up doing just that. I made up my mind then that I want to go back to school to finish my degree and be a better representative than what we apparently have. I'm 38 and have been at my company for almost 13 years and although I've been approached by several people over the years about going back to school, it's never been a good time for my family life. Now that it is a good time we have accumulated an entire new crew of mgmt and none of my bosses know anything of my past performance or cost saving ideas that have been implemented. I still want to finish my degree but now I wonder if it will even do any good. I make better money than most people in my area but it's not all about the money. Any thoughts? Oh and keep in mind that most of my bosses are around the age of 25 and newly out of school. Now that I've had the surgery I feel like with the pounds lost I will gain the self worth I have been lacking to follow through with school.

i say do it....anything you can do to better yourself, you deserve to do. Do it, do it, do it!!!!

I agree with soccermomma I think anything you do that betters yourself and makws you happy is a win. I went back to school for my graduatw degree three years ago and loved it. We only get one go around so make yourself happy!