Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't take it anymore!

I so want you to keep the band if it is possible for you to fix the problem that you have got. You are 50% at goal weight and that is tremendous. I definately feel for you as far as how you got there. It sounds like a bitter sweet victory. Second opinion is not a bad thing. I used to feel guilty the first 6 months after I was banded because I wanted to switch docs because I didn't feel like I was getting the support I needed. ( I say switch docs, but I guess I meant switch nurses because the last time I ever saw my doctor was 30 minutes before my lap band surgery.) I'm not sure if you are feeling bad about getting a second opinion by a different doc but I know this, the only thing you might regret is not have done it sooner. By switching docs, my whole mind set and life has done a complete 180. Best wishes to you.

I took my friend to be banded when I was at six weeks. Last Saturday we went to Mexico to get her, her first fill. My doc and I talked for quite some time. I don't think he realized just how bad this is. There has been a lot of he said/she said and I hadn't really talked to him in detail since this became exceedingly bad. He agreed to do the test I want if I will let him do the tests he wants to do. I have no problem with that at all.

So I have an appt w/him at noon on Wednesday. He said plan on being there for the night. He's going to do it all. I have no clue what "all" means, but he's going to do it anyway and I'm fine with that.

Thanks for letting me vent, I seriously needed it.

This problem will finally get diagnosed and if it isn't something that can be treated I'll have the band removed. If I have to have it removed at least I will know I tried everything.

Thanks everyone!

Wow sounds like youre going thru a lot! I was baned the same day you were and Ive barely lost 20 lbs! I have been having problems too, not to your extent, but I can relate to whats happening. My first fill was .2 of a .4 band- thats 50% restriction right off the bat!!! I was in hell and had to have an emergency unfill. Now Im at 1.5 and having problems barfing and sliming and I am getting really sick of it!! I'm tired of dreading eating and worrying about what will happen if I eat this or that. I'm obsessed with food because I have to figure what is 'safe' to eat. I go in tomorrow and want more Fluid removed. I am willing to deal with some of the band problems, but not everyday or every meal! I'm so glad to hear that you are seeking other opinions! I would do the same if I was you. And despite all your troubles with the band, congratulations on your weight loss!

Wow sounds like youre going thru a lot! I was baned the same day you were and Ive barely lost 20 lbs! I have been having problems too, not to your extent, but I can relate to whats happening. My first fill was .2 of a .4 band- thats 50% restriction right off the bat!!! I was in hell and had to have an emergency unfill. Now Im at 1.5 and having problems barfing and sliming and I am getting really sick of it!! I'm tired of dreading eating and worrying about what will happen if I eat this or that. I'm obsessed with food because I have to figure what is 'safe' to eat. I go in tomorrow and want more Fluid removed. I am willing to deal with some of the band problems, but not everyday or every meal! I'm so glad to hear that you are seeking other opinions! I would do the same if I was you. And despite all your troubles with the band, congratulations on your weight loss!

OMG I know exactly what you mean about dreading eating. When I start getting really hungry I became angry and annoyed because it means the whole food drama all over again. Sometimes I put off food consumption for so long it actually hurts because I don't want to fight PBing. There are times that my stoma is swollen and I get that feeling like there is a golf ball in my stomach and I'm happy about it. At least I'm not hungry.

I drink mostly Protein shakes and if nothing else, via weight loss it is paying off.

I went to Mexico yesterday and after three hours and four different barium swallows, closing my band completely and drinking barium (then immediately unfilling), small fill, wait 30 minutes, another barium swallow, drink Water, drink barium, drink more Water, drink more barium, wait another 30 minutes then do another barium swallow..... etc. etc. etc.... it was determined that my pouch and stoma are in spasms.

Two large cups of barium total... Mmmmmmm!

He gave me an Rx for Nexium-mups and Buscapina. I believe that is the Mexican version of Scopolomine. (Sorry, too lazy to look up the US spelling)

I have to give my doc a world of credit here. He was great. He spent three hours with me, allowed me to ask every question I had, explained everything in detail, got two radiologists and the asst surgeon involved, gave me two films with about 8 views on each film to take with me, had me come back the next day to make sure I was not barfing still, talked to me some more and you know what the total charge was?

$25.00.

That went to the hospital (should have been $280 for four barium swallows, or at least $70 for one total Barium Swallow but he got me a discount) for the radiology dept. He didn't charge me anything since he was my surgeon. He explained that was all in the initial cost of surgery... the follow up care.

Since this is a problem unique to me and not something resulting from a surgical problem he isn't sure the drugs will help so he doesn't know if this can be resolved or not. Moving the band up or down isn't going to help either.

Also, I track food intake, calories, Protein gms and the number of times I PB. I average PBing 20x weekly. I have PBed, slimed, and barfed in ways I never knew possible and my band hasn't budged. I swear, he must have used epoxy, sutures, staples, and cement to place my band. It doesn't move! LOL

The band might not be for me but it isn't from a lack of effort on the part of my doc, he could not possibly do more for me than he has. If I don't keep my band it won't be from anything wrong on his part.

How many of you would have the band removed? I'm wondering if I should go through with the procedure?

was...

i know its been a while and ive talked to you about other stuff since, but i was wondering how you were doing these days with all of it??

was...

i know its been a while and ive talked to you about other stuff since, but i was wondering how you were doing these days with all of it??

Thanks for asking.

The drugs to prevent stomach spasms are not working so I'm still on liquids. There are a couple more drugs to try before I give up and have my band removed. I'm going to try everything before I have it removed. I did my own unfill last night (no choice) and I slept all night long for the first time in weeks and weeks. But according to history that will be short lived.

One day at a time, right? LOL

I'd be just like WasaBubbleButt---I'd do anything and everything to try to keep my band!

Hang in there---we are thinking good thoughts for you!!

Kat

Just curious...how do you unfill on your own? Scary...he-he

I am fairly new to be banded. Banded on 2/2 and down 22 lbs. Slowly coming off, no fill yet. As long as I keep losing, I will not get a fill. It had stopped for a while and just started coming off again. Bout 1-2 lbs a week now. So, I put off getting filled. I don't want to ever PB or slime, etc. My doc said I should never be doing that, and if he fills me and that happens then he wont keep it that way. He said that isn't want is supposed to happen. Anyway, wish you luck!!!!!!

Just curious...how do you unfill on your own? Scary...he-he

It's no easy task and I don't suggest others do it at all!!

My port is easy to find and feel so I got it right away. But it wasn't fun doing it to myself.

WAS a bubble butt

You did your own unfill? Tell me; how did that go? How much did you take out?

I have just followed your thread, but I have a thought. What about keeping your band unfilled and see if you lose weight?

Have you did a google search on your spasms? Did you run that by Dr.C on this website, just for his information and opinion? I am sure he would be curious on your and your diagnosis.

Please keep me/us posted.

What size band do you have? 9.75cm? 10cm? VG band? Which one?

If the band implanted was not sized too small for you, then I think there may be something wrong with the placement that is not evident in an upper GI. Maybe the only solution is to do exploratory surgery to see what's up with it.

Your symptoms are just not normal, so I don't think the upper GI/Barium swallow is telling the real story. Barium swallows can be deceiving - e.g., I've read about situations where a Barium swallow shows excellent restriction, but the patient can eat a foot-long sub.

lapband4meNOW---what your Dr. has told you is true, the band is not designed to cause you to PB or slime in order to work. The band is not usually at fault in those circumstances---we are.

WASaBubble Butt is having band issues of a different nature. She has followed her band rules, and is still having issues.

Most slime episodes, leading to PB's are from us not following the rules, and eating to big of a bite, not chewing well, or simply eating too much. In my own case, I could have had a PB with no fill, if I had not paid attention to how I ate. Your Dr. can and should closely monitor your fill, and make sure you do not get too tight, but you have to do your part to not have those experiences.

"Bubbles" (!) has been in constant contact with her Dr., and the staff--as well as other medical professionals. It isn't seeming to be lack of care on her part, nor lack of attempting to help on the Dr.'s part. It just doesn't look like a fill or unfill is going to take care of the problem, it appears to be a bigger something going on.

I just didn't want you to get complacent with your eating habits, thinking the Dr. can keep you at a place that easily---because our bodies change on a daily basis, and what may have you loose as a goose one day, may find you tight the next....it is very fickle!!! I do think it is great that your Dr. is not pushing you to stay super tight, some do---my fill Dr. (not the same one who did my surgery) would prefer to keep me really tight, he recommends 3-6 bites and no more---if you can eat more, he will add fill for you. I do not want to be that tight---now or ever! Seems like that is asking for problems!! Plus one of the reasons I chose this is there was not an issue with malnourishment, but with each meal consisting of only 3-6 bites, you sure will be malnourished!! It sounds like your Dr is much more realistic!

Kat

WAS a bubble butt

You did your own unfill? Tell me; how did that go? How much did you take out?

I have just followed your thread, but I have a thought. What about keeping your band unfilled and see if you lose weight?

Have you did a google search on your spasms? Did you run that by Dr.C on this website, just for his information and opinion? I am sure he would be curious on your and your diagnosis.

Please keep me/us posted.

I'm a nurse who is used to accessing ports so it was a piece of cake to do. Not sure how easy it would be if I didn't have experience doing that. Well, poking a needle in my stomach didn't excite me much but after the needle was in it was easy. "Getting" the needle in... whole different story! HA!

Night before last I removed 0.3ml, I could drink Water. By morning it was swollen shut again. Last night I finally removed it all, an additional 1.1cc.

I didn't run it by Dr. C (problems) but I did ask him for a quote on removing my band and he said he would get back to me. I never heard back so I have arranged to have my original surgeon do it if that is the route I take.

Even with my band unfilled I still have spasms and swelling so I'm not sure how long this is going to last with having nothing in my band. I pretty much live on Protein shakes and honestly, I'm getting sick of it. Twice weekly or so I can do tuna, but that isn't daily.

I don't think it will work with an empty band since it hasn't in the past but I'm going to give it another shot.