Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whine post~ I am in so much pain, please tell me this is normal

Need to know everything will be ok. I feel so medically unsupported. I just had surgery on Halloween and was discharged yesterday.

So the day of surgery, I was fine, day 2 to now I am in so much pain.

So day 2 I was unable to get out if bed. Every time I tried, I was in such excruciating pain that O was near passing out.

Day 3, I was finally able to move, and my pain was under control for the first time. At rest pain was about a 4 and while walking it was about a 5-7. Definitely something to manage.

In day 2 onwards they suspected that I had a leak. But they never looked into it. I do not hurt in any of the incisions, in fact away from my drain has zero pain. But to the left of where my drain was is to sore. I cannot handle any pressure on the area as it sends me into instant 9/10 pain.

So day 3 I was discharged. At this time I was barely moving, barely eating or drinking and barely in control of my pain.

So now I am at home, and was given no pain medications. I was told to take Tylenol (no dose was recommended), and Advil! WTF!! Since when are we supposed to take Advil. Just before discharge, they realized that I had low potassium. So I was told that if I swallowed the 1" pulls it would cause my anastomoses between my pouch and small bowel could burst, so they would give me a liquid form. So when the nurse comes in, she gives me two huge pills to take. I had to argue with the nurse about whether I could take them!

My entire stay has been one disaster after another, and felt I may get injured by the staff if I stayed! I am in so much pain and just wanted to reach out to people who understand what I am going through. My husband is being amazing!! Please tell me I am going to be ok!

I am sorry to be such a downer! ???? but thank you for letting me get out my whine ❤️

Yes, you will be okay, but you and your husband need to take some steps to get you help today.

No, this is not normal practice. This is incompetence.

I'd get on the phone to the surgeon right now and there would be flames on the phone lines! If you do not get satisfactory help there, go to the emergency room. Work your way up the hierarchy, if necessary.

Pain is an indicator that something is wrong. It slows your healing (physically and emotionally). You should be given a prescription for a strong pain reliever (probably a narcotic) that you can pick up today. Tylenol is certainly not adequate and you were right--NSAIDS like Advil are never to be taken by RNYers. I would call the Director of Nursing tomorrow and report the incident about the horse pills and the Advil.

At the very least, if there was discussion of a potential leak and no follow up, then either they need to take follow up measures NOW or give you a very clear and understandable explanation of why no action is needed.

Hopefully, you husband will be a strong advocate for you. Take good care of yourself. I hope this will all be behind you in a day or two. Good luck!

Need to know everything will be ok. I feel so medically unsupported. I just had surgery on Halloween and was discharged yesterday.

So the day of surgery' date=' I was fine, day 2 to now I am in so much pain.

So day 2 I was unable to get out if bed. Every time I tried, I was in such excruciating pain that O was near passing out.

Day 3, I was finally able to move, and my pain was under control for the first time. At rest pain was about a 4 and while walking it was about a 5-7. Definitely something to manage.

In day 2 onwards they suspected that I had a leak. But they never looked into it. I do not hurt in any of the incisions, in fact away from my drain has zero pain. But to the left of where my drain was is to sore. I cannot handle any pressure on the area as it sends me into instant 9/10 pain.

So day 3 I was discharged. At this time I was barely moving, barely eating or drinking and barely in control of my pain.

So now I am at home, and was given no pain medications. I was told to take Tylenol (no dose was recommended), and Advil! WTF!! Since when are we supposed to take Advil. Just before discharge, they realized that I had low potassium. So I was told that if I swallowed the 1" pulls it would cause my anastomoses between my pouch and small bowel could burst, so they would give me a liquid form. So when the nurse comes in, she gives me two huge pills to take. I had to argue with the nurse about whether I could take them!

My entire stay has been one disaster after another, and felt I may get injured by the staff if I stayed! I am in so much pain and just wanted to reach out to people who understand what I am going through. My husband is being amazing!! Please tell me I am going to be ok!

I am sorry to be such a downer! ?de13 but thank you for letting me get out my whine ❤️[/quote']

Not a whine at all! You're really struggling. The pain does subside greatly after the first few days, but you need relief now. If you're not able to drink and in that much pain, call the surgeon on call NOW! If necessary go to the er. I'd also call both my surgeon and my pcp first thing Monday and demand to be seen. Also, lodge a complaint with the hospital administration asap. Let us know how you're doing.

I'm horrified they sent u home to take Tylenol. This is a massive surgery and even tho I've never been the type for pain meds I had to have some afterwards. I urge u not to suffer in silence. Your surgeon has an obligation to you and I would definitely let it be known. There should be an on call physician for the practice or at the very least go to the ER where they can help you or contact him. Pain is not helpful in the healing process. I urge you to be a advocate for yourself. Hope u get some relief soon. Let us know how u are doing.

Wow sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, my surgery was the day before yours. I spent one night but they would not let me home until I could drink and keep down 8 oz of Water and 8 oz of Protein. I was on a strict schedule of sf liquid tylenol and oxycodone. Although still very sore and still sleeping propped up my pain has not been above a 4 since leaving and im getting my protein and water in....so no what you are going thru does not sound normal and you need to call your surgeons office thats what they are their for and you are still in the critical stage.

Wanted to update everyone! So I went to my doctor today and got a script for Tylenol with codeine and caffeine. I am taking 2 every 4 hours, and he said I could take a single regular Tylenol if needed every 2 hours. I finally have my pain under control. I did start out with a children's liquid (30mL), to give a rush to the pain management, then took 2 t3's. This last me usually around 3.5 hours when I take 2 more T3's. I am able to finally walk around my house, if even for 5-10minutes multiple times a day. I am also able to eat. I am only up to 300 calories and everything is really fortified. I am getting in 2-3 c of Protein liquids and 2-3c of Water for the day. Which is exactly on track with what my nutritionist wants for this stage. It is amazing, my pain is down to a 3-4 when walking, and I only walk after my pain meds have kicked in. At rest I am a 2-3 for pain. 2 most of the time and a 3 near the end of my meds.

I am better today. I still have a shearing ripping burning pain on my side, but right now my doctor wants to just watch it. I have a follow-up appointment in a week to re-examine my wounds, and if it gets worse he told me To go to emerge.

Thank you so much for the support, I expected pain, but not this much, and it was so helpful to hear from people who have already gone trough the pain and emotions associate with this surgery. ???? hugs

So glad you have finally gotten some help and pain relief! Take good care of yourself.

Please file complaints with the hospital administration so they can rectify those problems and provide additional training. It may spare someone else the trauma you have experienced.

Glad to hear your doing better!

Just a word of warning...too much Tylenol is not good. Take doses six hours apart and never more than 3000 mg per day.