Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horror stories?!?

I'm pre-op doing all my testing before I can get my surgery date.. I'm excited and nervous But ready!!! I've been hearing ALOT of horror stories.. Please share some that you have heard or experienced.. Thanks!!

I am so wanting the Horror stories too...Please share.

There's a forum for rny complication support. There are stories of complications.

Ahhhh I see :)

No need to be rude. No, i really didn't understand your question or why you were asking it. Why do you want to know horror stories? Did you mean you want to hear both the good and the bad experiences so you can make a balanced and informed decision for yourself or did you have something else in mind? I asked the troll question because there are WLS-haters that come on the forums periodically in attempt to frighten others away from considering surgery that may be life-saving. Usually if a question is more specific, you will get more useful answers.

Didn't mean to be rude...When I first told people I was going to get rny... I heard so many stories from everyone... so my question was what's some of the horror stories people heard when they first told people...

Ok. Glad we got that sorted out. :)

May I offer a bit of advice? You may hear stories, but there are some important things to keep in mind. Many of the stories people pass on are about a friend of a friend's 2nd cousin (or some such distant relationship) who supposedly had such and such a problem. The first problem is that the facts are often distorted and exaggerated in the retelling because everyone loves to tell a good dramatic story, especially if they are trying to persuade you not to have surgery. You can never be sure what their agenda may be.

The second problem is that you never know the details of the other person's physical condition, their age, any co-morbidities which may have contributed to the situation, how well they followed their program before and after surgery, whether they followed the surgeon's instructions precisely---or did they do something stupid like not going to the ER when complications arose or tried to eat a steak 2 days after surgery, etc.... Some people make mind-boggling choices. A friend of my family developed an infection and blood clot after surgery. It was a weekend and instead of following her doctor's instructions and calling him to report any problem or going to the ER when she had very clear symptoms of a clot and an infection, she decided not to disturb her doctor on the weekend with a phone call and not to spend $75 to go to the ER. She died when the clot broke loose. She was a warm and wonderful woman, but she made two terrible choices. Sad, but her story doesn't signify anything for your likely journey other than a warning to call your doctor or go to the ER if you have concerns.

So while such stories may make you aware of some potential complications or issues, your journey will be very specifically your own, depending on your condition and history and how well you do with your program. There is so much to learn about WLS and the lifestyle changes you have to make before surgery and every day of your life thereafter. It's good to seek out information, but try to keep a balanced view and don't add unnecessarily to your own natural jitters by filling your mind with supposed horror stories. They bring you down and sap your energy just when you need to be focused on your own health and well-being.

All that said, if you read the thousands of posts on this forum and several similar ones you'll learn an awful lot about the challenges people have faced, as well as see the support they've gotten and how they have worked towards solutions. I hope this helps and that you will enjoy your journey and have the weight loss you seek. I sailed through surgery and recovery, even though I am older and have heart trouble, and am so thrilled with the results. I wish you similar happiness!

Why do you want to hear horror stories? Are you a troll?

See how silly you are? Get a life

Mz Shay

Shay, apparently you leaped to an erroneous judgment and did not read the facts it the posts which followed that. The poster and I quickly came to an understanding and moved on.

If you are going to harp at me for being judgmental, I suggest you look at the facts before throwing stones. Now can we be done with this ridiculous crap?

Shay' date=' apparently you leaped to an erroneous judgment and did not read the facts it the posts which followed that. The poster and I quickly came to an understanding and moved on.

If you are going to harp at me for being judgmental, I suggest you look at the facts before throwing stones. Now can we be done with this ridiculous crap?[/quote']

Asking her if she was a troll very rude!!!!!! I told I'm the right person to talk crazy to everyone you say something rude I'll be there to point it out since you are perfect and you know everything

Mz Shay

If you read my 2nd post, you will see that I was asking a question of fact, not being rude. I wasn't accusing her of being a troll, I was asking if she was and I explained why. Can you see the distinction? Again, get the facts before being judgmental please.

If you read my 2nd post' date=' you will see that I was asking a question of fact, not being rude. I wasn't accusing her of being a troll, I was asking if she was and I explained why. Can you see the distinction? Again, get the facts before being judgmental please.[/quote']

Whatever I'm reading a lot of your stupid feedback I wonder how your life is outside of this site you see to be angry seek help quick!!!!! You really need it

Mz Shay