Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medicare - Bi-polar diagnosis

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering about approval for RNY with Medicare with a Bi-Polar diagnosis. I just filled out my questionnaire for the psych evaluation and it specifically asked about bi-polar and depression. Does anyone have experience with being bi-polar and getting denied.

I am scared because I need this surgery desperately.

Thank you,

Mo

There is a vlogger with Bipolar that was doing vlogs for her gastric bypass surgery and struggles with her disorder and the ups. So it shouldn't be a problem :)

If you have had a major episode of bipolar, that eval is not the time to talk about it. Be upbeat. S/he knows you have bipolar. Tell them only upbeat thoughts.

You know what is right for you. Downplay your bipolar issues, be upbeat and answering any questionnaire with positivity. I think it is a legal-cover-legal-liablility criteria -- and a flimsy one (I say this as an attorney).

I had to go to a required, waste-of-time pre-surgery support group. 200 womenin a room all in one big group who each got to speak for 30 seconds. Geez. I couldrun a better support group. Break that many up into smaller circles so each circle can allhave some air time to actually get actual support.

sitting next to me was a sweet Latina who kept crying cause the shrink said she had to return to him in a year and show him her depression was improved. I wanted to pull her aside and say "when you go back, lie". All she had done was wrongly assume talking to a therapist was a good time to show her struggles over her health and weight and she cried. I always cry in therapy but these evals are not therapy. that gal had made a bad judgment call. She should not have cried throughout her eval. Now if she couldn't pull herself together for an hour and appear okay, then, the shrink might have been right in sayig she was too depressed but I think she as naive and did not know how to play the game.

Play the game. It's our lives.

Edited by Tizzielish

Thank you. When I have my evaluation with the Psychiatrist I will not cry. I don't want to be denied for being emotional. Thank you for the words of wisdom. I will put them to good use.

Mo

good luck -- just remember, it is not therapy. S/he just wants a general sense that you are a stable human who can handle the stress post surgery. The eval not the time to process your emotions about weight, health, whatever.

and let us know how it goes!

Hi Everyone' date='

I am wondering about approval for RNY with Medicare with a Bi-Polar diagnosis. I just filled out my questionnaire for the psych evaluation and it specifically asked about bi-polar and depression. Does anyone have experience with being bi-polar and getting denied.

I am scared because I need this surgery desperately.

Thank you,

Mo[/quote']

No worries I got my done in Jan 2013 it helps a lot with Bipolar disorder. ... my moods are more stable then ever and I been off my psychiatric meds for years. .. don't worry I think you will be approved with no problem. ....

MrsB surgery 1-21-13

I could not DISAGREE more with the nonsense about lying and playing down being bipolar. Why would you jeopardize your health by lying. The reason for the eval is not to decide if your "crazy" (I hate that word) it is to make sure you are prepared mentally and emotionally for what is to come.

If you have a regular therapist or psychiatrist they should be doing your eval since they know you and your history. Your insurance already knows your diagnosis as well as your surgeon. If an eval indicates you may not be ready for this huge change then you should follow through with whatever the recommendation is to get on track.

The eval is also looking for signs if psychotic behavior and the inability to make sound decisions. If you have picked a quality surgeon that you are comfortable with letting him operate on you then why wouldn't you let the professionals make the call.

We all want and need this surgery but it is very, very hard mentally and emotionally. Sometimes more so then the physical part. If you are an emotional eater it will be extremely difficult to deal with the changes when you can no longer go to food.

I am bipolar and have been for over 20 years. My diagnosis was never a problem when I had my surgery nine years ago nor was it a problem this time for my revision. However I am in regular counseling and adhere to my medication. When I was not on the right meds and not in therapy a couple years back I started to gain weight.

Please don't lie. Despite wanting this surgery badly if you have to wait a little extra time to get mentally prepared then take advantage of it.

Thank you pear425. I am working with a counselor and a psychiatrist and they are helping me immensely. I will not lie to the psychiatrist that is doing my eval at all. I like what you had to say and if I need to get more counseling before my surgery then that is what I am going to have to do. I want this surgery to work for me so badly. I am glad to hear that your diagnosis did not get in the way of your approval to have the surgery.

Thanks again for your response,

Mo

Well that makes A LOT of sense now Pear.

Good luck Mo :)