Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, all. I'm Sophia. I am 22 year old and I'm 5'2", 265 lbs (yikes) and have just begun this journey in the last few weeks. I am paying out of pocket so the journey is definitely expedited..which seems awesome but I'm slightly nervous. I began gaining weight in freshman year of high school - I went from 120 to 150 in less than two months. It has just gotten worse from there. I work out and try to eat correctly, but clearly it has not worked out. I do all of my testing (cardio and psych) as well as the nutrition meeting, and hopefully I will begin my two week liquid diet and have the surgery on Halloween. I have been reading as much information as I can get about the surgery but I wanted to ask for any advice from y'all. What foods do you avoid at all costs (other than the obvious dumping syndrome inducing foods). What do you wish you knew before you started? What is the hardest thing you've dealt with and why? How did you overcome this? Thank you for reading.

I'm 34 years old...I can't remember when I stopped paying attention to the scale, although as I got older it got worse. My highest weight was 292 in August 2012...I stay away from anything that I couldn't stop at one with...I have followed my plan by the book. You have to go in knowing that you will never be able to eat again the way you did before. You also have to realize that even though you may be able to eat it, doesn't mean you should. Somehow we all got ourselves to the point that we needed to take the drastic decision of wls. Take muralax when you get home from the hospital. Our body's go through such changes that although we aren't eating real food after the surgery , we still need to have a bowel movement. Have the doctor order Celebrex for the pain after ...helps with the tugging pain you will feel in your side ... I became lactose intolerant after the surgery. I had severe dumping from any juice. When i came home I had Quaker oats perfect portion cinnamon oatmeal and uses Splenda to sweeten it , chicken broth ,jello , and sugar free pops. Pay attention to your body, if something doesn't feel right , call your dr...don't take any chances ...good luck

Hi' date=' all. I'm Sophia. I am 22 year old and I'm 5'2", 265 lbs (yikes) and have just begun this journey in the last few weeks. I am paying out of pocket so the journey is definitely expedited..which seems awesome but I'm slightly nervous. I began gaining weight in freshman year of high school - I went from 120 to 150 in less than two months. It has just gotten worse from there. I work out and try to eat correctly, but clearly it has not worked out. I do all of my testing (cardio and psych) as well as the nutrition meeting, and hopefully I will begin my two week liquid diet and have the surgery on Halloween. I have been reading as much information as I can get about the surgery but I wanted to ask for any advice from y'all. What foods do you avoid at all costs (other than the obvious dumping syndrome inducing foods). What do you wish you knew before you started? What is the hardest thing you've dealt with and why? How did you overcome this? Thank you for reading.[/quote']

My hardest thing was my brain. Learning that it still wants everything I used to eat. It does everything it can to get me to give in. I can't say I have overcome it yet. It is a daily struggle, but I log my food and make sure not to get upset with myself when I give in.

I have lots I would like to share with you and would love to talk privately if you would like. The basic things I can say is that this surgery is not just physical it is very emotional and mental. You are young and have so many experiences yet to come. I was 24 when I had the surgery and everything went amazing. I lost 97lbs (started at 249lbs and I'm 5'3). Five years later after many life changes I started to gain it all back. Now almost 9 years later I am having a revision surgery.

If you don't find a new coping mechanism after surgery (that is not food related) you may find yourself struggling. You will be able to eat "normally" again and the surgery is really just a tool. You can destroy the tool if you want to. Not even on purpose but it can sneak up on you. My very best advice is to take time to really examine everything in your life and what kind of changes you are prepared for. Since you are self pay your process is sped up substantially. We all want this surgery but the best part of having to wait is to be able to really understand what is going to happen (as best you can of course!)

Always follow your surgeon and nuts guidelines and seek help from the professional when you feel like you are having problems. Take your Vitamins everyday (for life - no joke) and get your Protein and Water goals met daily.

Best of luck.

My surgery is October 23, I am currently on my 2 week liquid diet, this is very difficult, but necessary. I have not cheated on this diet, but my husband can eat whatever he wants, never gains weight, he also eats very healthy, so in the long run, this will help me.

Pear425, you said some really great things that will also help me out. Thanks