Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it bad to think of selling your child for a tortilla chip?

I dont understand the dieting right before surgery. Dont all docs/ins companies require 3-6 months of med managed weight loss before surgery? I had to see a NUT weekly' date=' show proof of an exercise program (she reviewed the past week on my pedometer), go on a prescription for phentermine, weigh in weekly, etc etc. I had to do just 3 months, and I lost 30 lbs (286-256). The only thing I had to do pre-op was NPO after midnight the night before.[/quote']Not all do. Depends on BMI, surgeon preference, etc. Varies greatly from what I've read/seen. But I figure each has developed their preference for a reason. It is true that limiting carbs and dieting before surgery does quickly shrink the liver. The have to move/lift the liver to do the surgery. Easily nicked or cut. That's the reasoning behind it - to avoid injuring it.

The pre pro-op helps shrink the liver and prove to the doctor that you can follow directions. Sucks I know.... but you will look back soon enough, and it will be just a blip on the radar, and your ticker will show all that weight flying off.... try to set your mind to something else, read, TV, hand work, gardening....take your measurements now, you will love having them when the scale slows down now and then....

Keep in mind, my daughter is 25 years old and says it is not okay for me to sell her for a tortilla chip. Kids can be so ungrateful.

Keep in mind' date=' my daughter is 25 years old and says it is not okay for me to sell her for a tortilla chip. Kids can be so ungrateful.[/quote']LOL How dare she? You're right. She's totally ungrateful and should be sold for a chip - well, maybe two. As someone pointed out, she will be able to drive and help out after surgery.

I realize your concerns. However, I never said I was not going to follow the doctor's pre-op diet. In fact, I said that I was. Sheesh. I didn't mean to cause controversy. I just wanted to rant about how horrible the pre-op diet is. And it is horrible. I do not remember ever being this hungry before. However, I trust my doctor, and have done too much to get this far for him not to operate. (His words were, "If patient has only one bite, I will not operate.")

That being said, there does not seem to be an industry standard for pre-op diets. I have seen everything from 3 weeks to 24 hours. And everything from liquid diet to small meals. It is confusing.

And piercedqt, don't give me any ideas. ;)

I didn't see the posts that were edited so I have no idea if you are speaking to me or referring to the posts that are now gone. :D

My post was directed towards someone above me that I quoted, not to you. :D

I didn't see the posts that were edited so I have no idea if you are speaking to me or referring to the posts that are now gone. :D My post was directed towards someone above me that I quoted' date=' not to you. :D[/quote']LipstickLady, I inadvertently hijacked the thread. Went on a bit of a rant. After further reflection, I felt it was inappropriate and took them down. I had quoted you in agreement and went from there. I believe the response was in reference to my post(s).

LipstickLady, I inadvertently hijacked the thread. Went on a bit of a rant. After further reflection, I felt it was inappropriate and took them down. I had quoted you in agreement and went from there. I believe the response was in reference to my post(s).

Oh, ok! If I piss someone off, I do enjoy knowing why. :D

Oh' date=' ok! If I piss someone off, I do enjoy knowing why. :D[/quote']When I responded, it was meant to be to people at large, but it ended up sounding like I was after the OP. Not the case at all. My emotions ran amuck and overrode my ability to express myself clearly and with better precision :) So, my apologies to any who may have been offended and to any and all unintended targets. Was not my goal.

If I piss someone off, I should be intentional. The unintentional is not acceptable. Had to pull it down :D

I promise, I am not pissed off. Just grumpy, bitchy, hungry, tired, and oversensitive. And unable to sell my kids for tortilla chips. Other than that, I am fine.

I dont understand the dieting right before surgery. Dont all docs/ins companies require 3-6 months of med managed weight loss before surgery? I had to see a NUT weekly' date=' show proof of an exercise program (she reviewed the past week on my pedometer), go on a prescription for phentermine, weigh in weekly, etc etc. I had to do just 3 months, and I lost 30 lbs (286-256). The only thing I had to do pre-op was NPO after midnight the night before.[/quote']

My insurance did not require any kind of anything before my surgery. No diet, no exercise, no NUT visit, no psych evaluation, no sleep study....nada. My doctor required the 2 week liquid pre op but that is it.

I promise' date=' I am not pissed off. Just grumpy, bitchy, hungry, tired, and oversensitive. And unable to sell my kids for tortilla chips. Other than that, I am fine.[/quote']Oh, I know that. I'm just being a Smarty Pants. Looking back at my post, the tone really wasn't appropriate for this thread and I didn't mean to hijack. You may be feeling tired and grumpy, but in no way bitchy that I see. Being unable to sell your kids for tortilla chips really does suck. I can see how that would put a crimp in your day. Certainly would mine. I threaten to sell mine to the next passing band of gypsies all the time. (If there are any gypsies out there that I've just offended, I'll apologize now) :D

Back to selling your kid for a tortilla chip . . . Maybe you need salt. Are you drinking broth? With salt? On a full liquid diet, if you are only drinking sweet things, you aren't getting any salt. That can make you tired and grouchy. During my 2.5 week pre-op and 3 week post-op liquid diet, I would go to restaurants and order chicken noodle Soup -- just the broth, please. I guess a lot of people do this because no one batted an eye. You can do the same with French onion or vegetable Soup.

Also, what are you using for Protein? Good quality Protein will help you make it through. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and Bariatric Advantage make excellent powders that you can put in the blender with skim milk and ice and it's like a milkshake. Unjury also has a chicken broth that is loaded with protein. You can also take their strawberry Sorbet flavor and mix with sugar-free Jello. It's good for post op.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

Edited by cindymg

By the way, with Unjury you can order individual packets to figure out what you like. And they accept returns in case you don't like a flavor.

I didn't have to do a diet before my surgery at all' date=' just 2 days before surgery I had to only drink liquids. PreOp diets... I GET that they're "supposed" to do something important in theory but I don't buy them really. Everyone I know cheated and everyone I know still got the sleeve and lost a ton of weight. lol[/quote']

I didn't have a pre-op diet either...so strange how different drs are

I didn't have an extended pre-op diet, except to write everything down for two weeks(to show I could do it), and two days of liquids for the liver before surgery.