Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do the mood swings go away?

Don't know what I thought would happen, but I guess I thought for sure I'd have mood swings after the surgery but then they would magically go away. Well, 3 months later, they haven't.

Spend the last couple of days very depressed for no good reason. Seriously nothing is wrong, life is as before, all is good. My husband and children are happy and healthy, I've lost a few pitches at work but it's nothing that impacts anyone's job, nothing is wrong. I'm just depressed.

Got that way a month ago and got on an anti-depressant. Worked great for weeks. Now I'm depressed again. For no reason.

I would like to know--is it going to be like this while I'm losing weight? I do understand the estrogen-fat connection and if you say yes, this is how it is while we lose wright, that's okay with me.

I just want to know--for you, how long did the mood swings last?

This would be a great thing to know. I know that I'm still early in and probably tired from surgery, but my family has to avoid me after about 7:00 pm. I'm a witch after a certain point.

I'm a year out and still struggle. I've never been depressed before, always happy and positive. But now usually around that time of the month, I hate everything and don't want to do anything. With my extremely busy schedule its debilitating. I was thinking about seeing a doc about it but I'm on the fence about taking meds. Would love to hear other's input.

Well, I have no "time of the month" problems to speak of unless you are talking about rent time. :huh:

I did go through a period of depression that appeared unconnected to anything that was happening in my life. It may sound kind of psuedo-scientific spooky but I read that fat cells store chemicals that when released put the same thing that you were going through back on you.

I had bouts of depression through my fat times, I had chemotherapy and many fights with sickness. During my losing time I fought off low-grade fevers and went through odd emotional phases.

i didn't go hide in the woods or join an obscure orange worshipping cult but I had times where I didn't seem like my old rational self.

Now I am pretty constant in my normal level of sanity and haven't been sick in a long, long time.

I am not saying to not get help if you need it. The preceeding was just the dubious observations of a man who has a wife and still manages to stay happy. :huh::D

Edited by gmanbat

I don't know gmanbat, hiding in the woods seems like a really good idea today. and of course my husband is all chipper and chatty today so the woods are seeming REALLY good :-p

I decided to take a mental health day and take the day off. I mean, I didn't get much done yesterday either but I felt guilty about it all day because I was supposed to be working. Today, I have decided I'm not supposed to be working.

Time to watch trashy TV serials maybe.

Oh no....If our fat cells store emotion or stress or whatever, in addition to fat, I am in serious trouble. I have had these puppies for a loooong time now, and a LOT of negative has happened in that time frame. Yikes. I too have already been on an emotional roller coaster, but thought it was from having the surgery two weeks ago. But to be fair I was taken of Tramadol cold turkey for the surgery, and it has mood altering properties. Also "that time of month" here too. All I know is if things get worse I will seek out happy pills. I did it before in my life and will do so again if needed....

I've managed to move from my couch to my desk in my office today. For whatever reason I still don't want to open the pile of mail waiting for me right over there…

<-----

Time for a meeting of Procrastinators Anonymous. Maybe next week.

This post made me sad. I have not had any depression since surgery. If anything I have gotten a heck of a lot happier. Immediately after surgery I did have spouts of crying fits. I actually cried once because someone drank all of my skim milk. HAH! No crying over spilled milk or in my case NO milk. I struggled with depression for many years in the past and I'm finally at a point in my life where I do not feel depressed. Like a normal person I do have my down dates and moods. Anyways, I hope you find something to make you feel better!

Have you thought about the diet? I know that when I go into some extream ketosis I get *very* irritable and crabby.

Have you had a blood screen lately? I believe I was in a bout of depression a few months back. A co-worker of mine had mentioned that she had gotten on a Vitamin D kick as she had heard (from Dr Oz, I believe) that Vitamin D (with calcium) supplements were like sunshine in a bottle. I had a physical coming up and wouldn't you know my D levels were quite low. Of course, I hadn't been taking my Vitamin supplements like I had, so, I made a commitment to myself to get back on track.

I can report, for me, that I found similar results. Sunshine in a bottle. I feel so much better and am amazed at how the cloud of depression has lifted for me. I would say about 10 days after I started I noticed the change and I'm feeling great.

Have you thought about the diet? I know that when I go into some extream ketosis I get *very* irritable and crabby.

I haven't changed anything. Same old same old diet. Had to see the doc for a well-woman check up. She had the RNY 6 years ago and lost an entire person. She thinks maybe estrogen could be low. I said I thought we released estrogen as we lost weight so I should have a lot of it?

she said thinner people need MORE estrogen. As I lose weight, I might need more than my body is producing. Super confusing for sure. I'm going to give myself a day or two to snap out of it.

Have you had a blood screen lately? I believe I was in a bout of depression a few months back. A co-worker of mine had mentioned that she had gotten on a Vitamin D kick as she had heard (from Dr Oz, I believe) that Vitamin D (with calcium) supplements were like sunshine in a bottle. I had a physical coming up and wouldn't you know my D levels were quite low. Of course, I hadn't been taking my Vitamin supplements like I had, so, I made a commitment to myself to get back on track.

I can report, for me, that I found similar results. Sunshine in a bottle. I feel so much better and am amazed at how the cloud of depression has lifted for me. I would say about 10 days after I started I noticed the change and I'm feeling great.

I've been religiously taking multi-vitamins and Vitamin D, plus Calcium and Omega-3. The last blood test, all was good. Maybe I'll take a b-12 and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice!

Oh gamegirl, I feel for you. I have battled depression my whole life until I finally got properly medicated about 5 years ago. Thank god I didn't have to stop taking my meds before or after surgery or I don't know what might have happend. Athough everyday I am worried that something is going to change for me, like my current med cocktail is not effective anymore because my body chemistry has changed. I have read so many threads about the emotional impact and roller coasters this surgery can cause. I in noway think I am in the clear, especially only being 2 weeks out.

I would talk to your doctor and see if there is any medication that could help. I know that people think there is a stigma with treating mental health, but why wouldn't you treat it?

I hope you feel better soon. I love following all your posts and blog :) Take care.

oh and btw...nothing wrong with a mental health day and trashy TV. I love it!

Pdxman, very interesting. I get a great deal of sunshine now that I live in Florida. In fact, I work out in it all day. Thinking back, in Ohio I had more bouts with depression. The extra light along with the Vitamin D could be the link. I crave milk like it's hootch. Could be my body reaching out for more Calcium.< /p>

Pdxman' date=' very interesting. I get a great deal of sunshine now that I live in Florida. In fact, I work out in it all day. Thinking back, in Ohio I had more bouts with depression. The extra light along with the Vitamin D could be the link. I crave milk like it's hootch. Could be my body reaching out for more calcium.[/quote']

You know I missed that connection all together. It's been dreary, cold, overcast and rainy for days. My doc did wonder if that was getting to me and I dismissed the idea. I guess it's possible.