Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Killer Fruit

Realized I haven't eaten fruit since banding - maybe a litle mixed in a Protein Shake but that's it. Decided this morning to try a nice juicy apple for Breakfast and have been paying the price since. ugh - it stuck, it hurts, and wasn't fun. Do you think it was the peel? Maybe i ate too big bite etc. but I thought it was fine and juicy but what do you know. It's off my list for a long time. What fruits work for you?

Definitely the peel. Feel sorry for you...been there, done that :o

I've been afraid to try any fruit yet, but I understand that you should peel anything with a peel.

Definitely the peel. Feel sorry for you...been there, done that :o

I've been afraid to try any fruit yet, but I understand that you should peel anything with a peel.

Amen to that! I haven't even been banded yet, but have had an apple peel go down PAINFULLY slow!!!!

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for your responses! Yep - definitely the peel and I won't do that again. I hope this thread saves others from this mistake - not good! I do feel better but it is liquids for probably the rest of the day.

It definitely was the peel, the peel is full of Fiber. Fiber is very difficult for your body to digest. We really don't even absorb fiber, it's the processing of it that's so good for us. Like the others said just peel it and make sure it's cut up into a small slices. In my experience apples are the most difficult fruit to consume.

e

I was told that peelings from anything, like apples, potatoes, grapes etc. cannot be chewed well enough and can lay over the opening of the stoma causing you to need to pb. If you chew a peeling you can pull it out of your mouth and pull it flat and see it's still in large flat pieces.

I think we all got the tshirt on that one. And it surprises me with every fruit I try that does that. Grapes almost killed me and I about gave up on oranges and tangerines till I started just chewing them and throwing out the pulpy stuff. Not really worth the work. Only a few more months till watermelon season!

I have to eat an apple very slowly, and then only about half of it. It just seems to sit in my belly! I don't peel it, but take very small bites and chew the heck out of it.

I have to eat an apple very slowly, and then only about half of it. It just seems to sit in my belly! I don't peel it, but take very small bites and chew the heck out of it.

I do the same. I'm reluctant to remove the peel because you know what they always say, "all the nutrients are in the peel." I'm not ready to give up on apple peels just yet. I'm able to get them down if I eat slowly, and I feel like the nutritional value makes the process worth it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these things can be blended. If you make your own apple sauce in the blender with the peel on, you can get the machine to do most of the chewing for you.

Leave it to me to pick the hardest fruit for most bandsters to eat - It did feel like a lead weight inside me - different from any food I've tried -it said there like a huge stuck ball - It took forever to pass and I eventually took a sip of crystal lite which i knew would bring it up for good - i hate doing that and I only resort to that on rare rare occassions but I couldn't take it anymore.

I like the applesauce idea but I'm staying away from apples for awhile as it did sit soooo heavy in my stomach - I'm probably not describing it very well -

Hmm, was thinking about watermelon next.....:girl_hug:

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Hi marys----owwwww, I am so sorry!!! I am with Betty (Iluvharleys), the apple itself is very slow to process, and leaves my stomach just feeling sore. I have taken a bite or 2 and learned that is enough. I have like Mark said put them in the food processor---and I can also eat them cooked without issue. I core them, stuff them with all the things we are trying to avoid---brown sugar, butter, etc. and bake them then split them, and I can eat about a half an apple and I am full--but I don't hurt eating them that way. I still avoid the skin---but I always did anyway, I have had a lot of dental work, and they were always hard to chew.

If it still feels like it is sitting there, sip on some pineapple juice, and see if it will help break it down, and let it pass. If not, get some papaya enzyme. Don't feel like the lone "stranger", another friend and I have been discussing her feeling the same way over an errant cashew!!!

Hang in there---and feel better!!

Kat

I get the apple dippers at Mcdonalds it's one of the few things on the menu that I can have. They are already peeled and sliced thin. I have also had problems with bananas. They get pasty and seems to plug up my band, and they are gross to PB. I take apples or pears, core them, fill them with blue cheese and walnuts, bake until the apple is semi-soft. Yummmmmy!!! ~Mandy

I stay with apple sauce. The single serve containers of it can be packed to use in a pinch. I keep some at my desk. I also kept nuts at my desk... but don't think I will be going there anymore... as I was the one that ate the cashew from hell...

Stay on liquids until your tummy feels better. I am still doing that as I feel swollen. As for the papya, swansonsvitamins.com has it on sale for under $4.00.

Hope you get to feeling better.