Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Stephen. I don't know where to begin. The only other person that knows I'm thinking about this is my wife. My parents would go nuts. I've always grown up to believe wls was a cop-out from diet and exercise. And yet here I am..

I'm 26, and I don't know how much I weigh bc my scale doesn't go over 400 lbs, which I guess I have surpassed in the last month. I'm ashamed of my weight. I'm constantly depressed bc it affects every aspect of my life, particularly my marriage and our sex life. I get so angry and depressed bc of how big I've become. I mean we've just been married for 6 months, isn't the bedroom supposed to be a big part of our lives? But my weight has negatively impacted it in so many ways... I'm borderline diabetic. I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol.. I'm just at my wits end..

That being said, I'm addicted to food as well. I've done the fad diets, and was even successful at one, getting down to 220 lbs. after the weight loss I had to have my gallbladder removed bc of the drastic diet change developed gall stones. After I had that surgery, it was like the weight piled back on and after a while I didn't fight it. I let myself have every craving I desired. I even his my food addiction from my wife. I would sneak some fast food before coming home and eating what she cooked so I could seem atleast somewhat normal in my eating habits, to her atleast. I recently confessed my addiction to her and she's been supportive and will back whatever I decide to do concerning wls.

This is my first thread post. I've read dozens by now and feel encouraged by success stories and whatnot. I just don't feel like I have a lot of information.

If anyone has advice, reading material online that was given to then by their doctors about the surgery, what to expect before and after, cost (of yeah I have no idea how to pay for it) ... I'd be incredibly grateful. I just feel like I'm in the dark right now and I'm trying to claw my way out.

My name is Stephen. I don't know where to begin. The only other person that knows I'm thinking about this is my wife. My parents would go nuts. I've always grown up to believe wls was a cop-out from diet and exercise. And yet here I am..

I'm 26, and I don't know how much I weigh bc my scale doesn't go over 400 lbs, which I guess I have surpassed in the last month. I'm ashamed of my weight. I'm constantly depressed bc it affects every aspect of my life, particularly my marriage and our sex life. I get so angry and depressed bc of how big I've become. I mean we've just been married for 6 months, isn't the bedroom supposed to be a big part of our lives? But my weight has negatively impacted it in so many ways... I'm borderline diabetic. I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol.. I'm just at my wits end..

That being said, I'm addicted to food as well. I've done the fad diets, and was even successful at one, getting down to 220 lbs. after the weight loss I had to have my gallbladder removed bc of the drastic diet change developed gall stones. After I had that surgery, it was like the weight piled back on and after a while I didn't fight it. I let myself have every craving I desired. I even his my food addiction from my wife. I would sneak some fast food before coming home and eating what she cooked so I could seem atleast somewhat normal in my eating habits, to her atleast. I recently confessed my addiction to her and she's been supportive and will back whatever I decide to do concerning wls.

This is my first thread post. I've read dozens by now and feel encouraged by success stories and whatnot. I just don't feel like I have a lot of information.

If anyone has advice, reading material online that was given to then by their doctors about the surgery, what to expect before and after, cost (of yeah I have no idea how to pay for it) ... I'd be incredibly grateful. I just feel like I'm in the dark right now and I'm trying to claw my way out.

I relate to your addiction. I was a carboholic. It's like crack cocaine to me. Some may say that's drastic, but it's poison to my body type and most overweight folks. It was killing me. I was on 10 medications. Still taking medications I hope to soon get off of due to my drastic diet change. I love my new tummy. It definitely is NOT the easy way out. Screw those who think so. That's being nice of me. This is massive change for us foo addicts. We need a tool to help us be disciplined and change our habits. I eat 2 oz. of tuna and I'm full. I could throw down a foot long sub with all the fixins , a bag of chips, and a drink like it was nothing. What I found out after surgery is my stomach is huge. My surgeon said my stomach could fit over my head. No wonder I could at a whole bag of Doritos in one sitting.

Check your insurance and see if they pay for it. A lot are paying for it now. You do have to jump through hoops and it will be a test to see how committed you are to changing your life. It's massive change taking this journey. However, it ps the best gift you will ever give yourself and your new wife. You want to be around and live a full life for you, her, and the kids you may have. We are 80% of control of our health. I would not change a thing.

Anyway...the cost depends on your insurance or the place you get it performed. My co pay was $800.00. My insurance only pays so much and my surgeon got as much as he could get from insurance as most docs do. :-). Some of the same surgeons that work in the U.S. Work in Mexico. I live in Las Vegas and I've seen this. Anyway, I hope I have helped you some. Feel great about you and do what's best for you. You deserve it!!!

Hi Stephen,

I don't have any specific reading material that my surgeon gave me. I just read this forum and a couple of others (obesityhelp dot com and gastricsleeve dot com) as I was making my decision. There are also some good vloggers out there on Youtube as well as informational videos -- and videos of the actual surgery itself if you are into that kind of thing :)

I'm glad I realized that surgery is NOT a cop-out from diet and exercise. Studies show that only about 5 percent of obese people can lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off. I would love to be in that five percent, but the fact is I'm not. Taking advantage of modern medicine is not a cop out from diet and exercise, just like having anesthetic at the dentist when you get a filling is not a cop out from taking a shot of whiskey and having someone hold you down like they did in olden times. Besides, sticking to a proper diet and getting exercise after surgery will be a big part of your life, trust me (especially the diet)!

If you have insurance, definitely check your member benefit handbook to see if it is covered.

If you don't have insurance, you may want to check to see whether Obamacare insurance includes bariatric surgery coverage in your state. Some states include it, but I think most do not.

Self-pay is another option. Prices range from about $4600 (and up) in Mexico to maybe $25,000 for a top surgeon in a big city here in the US. I considered self-pay in Mexico for a while when my insurance was being a jerk and personally I think it's a good option. There is an excellent sub-forum here for self-pay and Mexico patients that you should check out if you decide on this route.

And a final note of caution for you and anyone else new to reading these boards - keep in mind that this surgery has about the same rate of complications and death as gall bladder surgery, which means: not very high at all! But people tend to post on these forums when they feel like something is going wrong, not when everything is going perfectly. So just reading online forums can give you a warped sense of what surgery and post-surgery is going to be like. If relied solely on these posts, you'd think that your post surgery days would necessarily be filled with pain, vomiting, trips to the ER for dehydration, leaks, strictures, Constipation, and worse. While some people do have these issues, the quiet majority of us do great without complications.

Good luck to you!

I think this is a great option for you. The ONLY thing I worry about is that fact that you are so young and will need to say goodbye to beer and other bubbly stuff for a long time, if not forever. Other than that, this is a great tool to "reset" your life and relationship with food. I know I could not have done it on my own and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I think this is a great option for you. The ONLY thing I worry about is that fact that you are so young and will need to say goodbye to beer and other bubbly stuff for a long time' date=' if not forever. Other than that, this is a great tool to "reset" your life and relationship with food. I know I could not have done it on my own and I'm not ashamed to admit it.[/quote']

It's weird... In so many threads I've read I've heard people say that they wish they did it years ago in their 20s. I may be young but I've eaten and drank my fair share of stuff for a lifetime.

Hello, I also dieted my way to gallbladder surgery by doing a super low-fat diet. I made it up to 360 pounds and a BMI of 60 by just letting things happen. For me before, there were only two switches.. "diet mode" and "free for all mode" With the sleeve now I'm discovering what "moderation mode" is like. Also, before, people would tell you to "fill up on vegetables" UH, I don't mind eating vegetables, but eating a huge plate of them was NOT ATTRACTIVE. Now when I want a snack and I'm feeling a bit of hunger but I don't want to burn through a lot of calories, I actually do eat 3/4 of a cup of veggies and the amount tastes good and is enjoyable and it actually makes me feel satisfied. WOO HOO! Of course I still struggle with emotional eating and cravings.. and sometimes I give in.. but when I do it's TEMPORARY and I get right back on the horse.

As for how to pay, Of course insurance is your number one option.. if that is not an option, Mexico is an option too. I had my surgery in Tijuana for $4,500 which included everything but tips for my drivers and Airfare! Prices in mexico seem to range from $4,200 to $9,000 depending on city, doctor, and hospital. Prices in the US seem to range from $10,000 to $30,000 depending on city, doctor and hospital.

I couldn't afford to pay for my Mexico surgery right away so I decided to use those months of waiting to start a pre-preop diet. I'm an excellent short-term dieter and my surgery date was like a light at the end of the tunnel that kept me motivated. I dropped 50 pounds before my surgery which helped give me a head start and made my surgery a bit easier for the doctor and safer for me.

Best wishes to you!

Thank you all for your responses. I think I've decided that as soon as I get health insurance, I'm going to start the process. Any advice on what health insurance to look into?

Today just may be the first step to a lifetime of happiness for you! You reached out for help! YEAHHhhh YOU!

Thank you all for your responses. I think I've decided that as soon as I get health insurance' date=' I'm going to start the process. Any advice on what health insurance to look into?[/quote']

I have Cigna and only needed 3 months preOp nutritionist guidance. They approved avert thing I needed.

Thank you all for your responses. I think I've decided that as soon as I get health insurance, I'm going to start the process. Any advice on what health insurance to look into?

I think it depends on if you have insurance through your work/employer. I could be wrong, but I don't think individual insurance policies cover weight loss surgeries. There is a post listing the different states that will cover weight loss surgery next year under Obamacare. Cigna for one company may cover it, but Cigna through another company won't. Employers can pick and choose if they include certain things like wls.

I don't have much info on Obamacare. My husband's employer doesn't cover it. I am self pay and paying for almost all of it with CareCredit in the US.

Many, many people have successful stories from Mexico and it is much cheaper. There is a Mexico/self pay forum or enter a search for Mexico.

Bad news fr me since my employers don't offer benefits and I can only buy health insurance myself thru healthcare.gov (when it works)... Gah!! I feel like the cards are stacked against me

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/97492-the-23-states-that-will-offer-weight-loss-surgery-in-their-obamacare-plan/page__hl__obamacare

Those are the states that will be covering weight loss surgery under Obamacare.

Also, Mexico is a very viable option and approximately 1/3 of what I will be paying self pay in the US.

Thanks that was helpful and depressing haha I live in Texas

Which is very close to Juarez Mexico! Wouldn't even have to fly to Tijuana!