Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March '07 Bandsters Union

Hello,

I know there is another thread, but just thought I would chime in. Like everyone, it seems, my emotions are all over the place right now, happy, scared, excited, nervous, hopeful, etc.etc. I am on the preop diet and at first it didn't seem too bad, 2 Protein shakes a day plus a low carb meal at night, but today I feel headachey and light-headed. Maybe it's the daylight savings time jet lag effect. I work at home as a medical transcriber, which makes some things easier and some things more difficult. For example, keeping my mind on work these days is about impossible, all I can think about is the upcoming surgery. I feel like a hamster on a wheel. I'm finding it difficult to sleep at night also, rat-wheeling away. Long story short, insurance had the exclusion, so I am flying to San Diego, scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. That does add to the stress, but the cost of surgery where I live (WA) was $17K, so Mexico seemed the only way. Anyway, also like most posters, I have gotten a great deal of information and support out of this forum. I lurked for a long time, finally started posting today.

Good luck to us all.

AMRDMR

The preop liquid diet was the most difficult for me. I had to concentrate on my college classes while ALWAYS thinking about food. I literally started punching the air while looking for food because I was starving. I even posted a thread on here how I was staring at 11 pizzas, a tray of Cookies, and crazy bread... I felt like I was in hell. Now that I am post-op, I have to do the liquid diet again for a few weeks, but it is a lot easier because I had to adjust before surgery. Just think of it in that way.

So Mexico?? I don't know much about the healthcare system there... did you make sure you found a trustworthy doc?

Good luck everyone!

-Jason

Hello,

I know there is another thread, but just thought I would chime in. Like everyone, it seems, my emotions are all over the place right now, happy, scared, excited, nervous, hopeful, etc.etc. I am on the preop diet and at first it didn't seem too bad, 2 Protein shakes a day plus a low carb meal at night, but today I feel headachey and light-headed. Maybe it's the daylight savings time jet lag effect. I work at home as a medical transcriber, which makes some things easier and some things more difficult. For example, keeping my mind on work these days is about impossible, all I can think about is the upcoming surgery. I feel like a hamster on a wheel. I'm finding it difficult to sleep at night also, rat-wheeling away. Long story short, insurance had the exclusion, so I am flying to San Diego, scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. That does add to the stress, but the cost of surgery where I live (WA) was $17K, so Mexico seemed the only way. Anyway, also like most posters, I have gotten a great deal of information and support out of this forum. I lurked for a long time, finally started posting today.

Good luck to us all.

AMRDMR

Hi AMRDMR,

I am having my surgery in MX with Dr. Ortiz as well. I have started my pre-op and I know how you feel with the hunger. My surgery in on the 23rd. I hope you have a pleasant time in MX, Dr. Ortiz is supposed to be great.

Goodluck.

Tara

I was so glad to find this post, I will be banded on the 28th, i am so excited and a little apprehensive. I am self pay and worry that if something goes wrong I will have to pay extra, I doing good to pay the $12,000.

I have been browsing this website for quite awhile and have really learned alot from everyone on this site.

I am 61, i was wondering if there was anyone else out there close to my age, I am concerned with my age how well things will go, but if I don't do something I know how I will end up.

It would be so nice to be able to walk without aching or climb steps without breathing heavy or be able play with my grandkids without getting short of breath, and be able to fly without asking for and extender.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Band 3/28/07

WT. 285/150

Dr. Dunshee

Tallgrass Clinic, Topeka, KS.

Start liquids 3/19

I was so glad to find this post, I will be banded on the 28th, i am so excited and a little apprehensive. I am self pay and worry that if something goes wrong I will have to pay extra, I doing good to pay the $12,000.

I have been browsing this website for quite awhile and have really learned alot from everyone on this site.

I am 61, i was wondering if there was anyone else out there close to my age, I am concerned with my age how well things will go, but if I don't do something I know how I will end up.

It would be so nice to be able to walk without aching or climb steps without breathing heavy or be able play with my grandkids without getting short of breath, and be able to fly without asking for and extender.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Band 3/28/07

WT. 285/150

Dr. Dunshee

Tallgrass Clinic, Topeka, KS.

Start liquids 3/19

I'm one of the younger bandsters at 23 here, but I would do this if I was 61, 80, and older if it meant extra years in my life. I applaud you for making the decision to live life to the fullest and want to be able to do things that "naturally skinny" people take for granted! It's going to be a long process, but I think after surgery things get smoother and everything gets richer. I was banded 8 days ago and I'm in the process of recuperating. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

-Jason

Hi there,

I'm finally scheduled for March 20th after 3 delays. I can't wait til March 21st :) . WE CAN DO IT!!!!

Reesh

Reeh how did you do on the liquid diet, i go for my preop on the 19th and have to start that liquid diet then, thats been my biggest worry is if I can get through that

Liquid diet is tough!!!!!!!!! I was on it two weeks prior and two weeks after (which I'm in now). I dislike all the food already and can't wait for substance!

But think about it, once you get through it... you'll never have to be stuck like it again. If you do not follow liquid post-op, your band will shift and won't heal properly where it is positioned. So that scare tactic makes me stick with liquids. If I did not do well pre-op (I did do well for the last week), then I wouldn't have been prepared.

Be successful now, be successful later!

-Jason

My surgery is tomorrow morning. And I'm not nervous about the surgery part. I'm a strange one though... as other's tell me frequently. My neurologist even says it in a serbian accent. I figure even if I do have complications it will all get worked out and be ok eventually. Well actually I am little nervous that something will go horribly wrong and I will end up paralyzed or something cause that would be horrible but mostly I'm not even thinking about that at all. What I am nervous about is if they will give me valium because I have big memory loss issues with that drug (like I lose 24 hours with it) and I told the anesthiologist this but I'm not sure if he really understood specifically what I meant). And of course post op pain sucks- I had an exploratory gynecological laproscropy before after this huge cyst exploded and destroyed my health when I was 20 but I'll heal. I'm a little nervous about how early I have to wake up tomorrow (I'm narcoleptic. I like to sleep).

Mostly today I'm mourning the loss of the my relationship with food. And yes I know that sounds strange. Heres the thing: I know that being morbidly obese is very unhealthy. Its already starting to affect my blood pressure. I know that the long term health effects are bad and its going to get to me if I do not lose weight. And if nothing else the liquid diet has taught me that I need the band because I'm freaking starving on the liquid diet and all I can do is think about food on it because they are starving me with freaking 1000 calories... sure I'm losing weight. But if this was just me on a diet I would never keep the weight off because I'm hungry and I can't live like that. My mother lost about 120 pounds with weight watchers. She says you get used to always being hungry. I can't do that. I don't want to be like her-- I don't want to always be hungry and thinking about food and what I can't eat and what I can and so forth. I want to fill satiated. So I need the band. But in another way I love the morbidly obese lifestyle. I love eating whatever I want whenever I want. I love polishing off a pint of Ben and Jerry's without worrying about the nutritional information because, Hell, I'm already fat. I don't love what the weight is doing to my body though. I don't love what it will continue to do to my body. Its not a healthy relationship I have with it. Its like I have some sort of love hate thing going on with the muffin man-- I sort of visual it like a praying mantis stalker ish thing of mine. I want him. I want him bad. But I'm going to take his head off after I get him. So I need to put my health first and my messed up food relationship behind me.

I'm hoping that once the band kicks in I stop dreaming obcessively about food. LOL I really am doing that. Last night it was garlic bread. with cheese on it. Really good buttery garlic bread on bread thats sweet-- you know what I mean? I could almost taste it when I woke up.

I'm actually not in this for looks because I think I'm sexy and adorable as I am. But I do think I will be even more sexy and adorable as I lose weight. I'm even sending myself get well soon flowers. (My husband won't think of it and I'm not going to tell him to do it cause he might not send the right kind that I want or something). Mostly I'm just excited about the whole thing. I want control. (But I wouldn't say no to Garlic bread right now)

My surgery is tomorrow morning. And I'm not nervous about the surgery part. I'm a strange one though... as other's tell me frequently. My neurologist even says it in a serbian accent. I figure even if I do have complications it will all get worked out and be ok eventually. Well actually I am little nervous that something will go horribly wrong and I will end up paralyzed or something cause that would be horrible but mostly I'm not even thinking about that at all. What I am nervous about is if they will give me valium because I have big memory loss issues with that drug (like I lose 24 hours with it) and I told the anesthiologist this but I'm not sure if he really understood specifically what I meant). And of course post op pain sucks- I had an exploratory gynecological laproscropy before after this huge cyst exploded and destroyed my health when I was 20 but I'll heal. I'm a little nervous about how early I have to wake up tomorrow (I'm narcoleptic. I like to sleep).

Mostly today I'm mourning the loss of the my relationship with food. And yes I know that sounds strange. Heres the thing: I know that being morbidly obese is very unhealthy. Its already starting to affect my blood pressure. I know that the long term health effects are bad and its going to get to me if I do not lose weight. And if nothing else the liquid diet has taught me that I need the band because I'm freaking starving on the liquid diet and all I can do is think about food on it because they are starving me with freaking 1000 calories... sure I'm losing weight. But if this was just me on a diet I would never keep the weight off because I'm hungry and I can't live like that. My mother lost about 120 pounds with weight watchers. She says you get used to always being hungry. I can't do that. I don't want to be like her-- I don't want to always be hungry and thinking about food and what I can't eat and what I can and so forth. I want to fill satiated. So I need the band. But in another way I love the morbidly obese lifestyle. I love eating whatever I want whenever I want. I love polishing off a pint of Ben and Jerry's without worrying about the nutritional information because, Hell, I'm already fat. I don't love what the weight is doing to my body though. I don't love what it will continue to do to my body. Its not a healthy relationship I have with it. Its like I have some sort of love hate thing going on with the muffin man-- I sort of visual it like a praying mantis stalker ish thing of mine. I want him. I want him bad. But I'm going to take his head off after I get him. So I need to put my health first and my messed up food relationship behind me.

I'm hoping that once the band kicks in I stop dreaming obcessively about food. LOL I really am doing that. Last night it was garlic bread. with cheese on it. Really good buttery garlic bread on bread thats sweet-- you know what I mean? I could almost taste it when I woke up.

I'm actually not in this for looks because I think I'm sexy and adorable as I am. But I do think I will be even more sexy and adorable as I lose weight. I'm even sending myself get well soon flowers. (My husband won't think of it and I'm not going to tell him to do it cause he might not send the right kind that I want or something). Mostly I'm just excited about the whole thing. I want control. (But I wouldn't say no to Garlic bread right now)

Thanks for posting!! You sound like you are doing this for the right reasons. Food obsession got us all to this point. It is so hard to not think about having all that lovely food. After the surgery and the few weeks after, you will still be able to eat almost anything, but in such small amounts. You will have to work harder, but the band will make you work hard to get the results you want. Eventually, you won't even crave the same foods you used to. I've heard on this board how everyone starts eating "high quality" foods. I'm excited to go out to eat and order an expensive filet minon and savor the taste all week. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Good luck with the surgery and let all of us know how it goes! You're in our prayers!

-Jason

kyethra-- it's funny you mention dreaming about food it happened to me last night!! I remember feeling so dissapointed in myself for eating and feeling relieved when I woke up that it was just a dream.

My name is Sarah, my current weight is about 208 (bmi 36), I'm being banded with Dr. Ortiz, my goal weight is about 140-150. My banding date is March 26! I've been waiting so long for this day to come.

I'm on the 2nd day of my preop diet, it consists of 2 protien shakes and a lean cusine. I'm STARVING! & I have a mild headache. I'm at work i have 3 hours to go I had to pull a 10 hour shift today so I'm feeling really tired and just drinking lots of Water. What are you guys doing to keep you going...

I don't know if it was the best thing but i join Gold's Gym yesterday when I scheduled my surgery. I've worked out yesterday (spinning class and eliptical for about 10min to warm up) and today (elliptical for about an hour). I want kick start my weightloss but with how weak i'm feeling now I dont know if working out right now is the best thing, when are you guys starting you workout programs?

Jason-- i'm a nursing student too what school do you attend?

kyethra-- it's funny you mention dreaming about food it happened to me last night!! I remember feeling so dissapointed in myself for eating and feeling relieved when I woke up that it was just a dream.

My name is Sarah, my current weight is about 208 (bmi 36), I'm being banded with Dr. Ortiz, my goal weight is about 140-150. My banding date is March 26! I've been waiting so long for this day to come.

I'm on the 2nd day of my preop diet, it consists of 2 protien shakes and a lean cusine. I'm STARVING! & I have a mild headache. I'm at work i have 3 hours to go I had to pull a 10 hour shift today so I'm feeling really tired and just drinking lots of Water. What are you guys doing to keep you going...

I don't know if it was the best thing but i join Gold's Gym yesterday when I scheduled my surgery. I've worked out yesterday (spinning class and eliptical for about 10min to warm up) and today (elliptical for about an hour). I want kick start my weightloss but with how weak i'm feeling now I dont know if working out right now is the best thing, when are you guys starting you workout programs?

Jason-- i'm a nursing student too what school do you attend?

Awesome! Another nursing student! You should put that in your signature too :) I goto Winona State University in Winona, MN. Great school and I'll be out in May.

The preop diet is soooooooo difficult. Keep drinking tons and tons! At least you'll have something in your stomach and it's 0 calories.

As for exercise, I slowed my working out during the pre-op stage. I probably should have worked hard, but like you said, without the nutrients, everything is so hard. Classes for me was the biggest pain... I felt like I didn't have enough glucose in me to think! So it's up to you, but you do have to lose weight. There's no doubt about that. So if working out helps (hell, even walking 10,000 steps a day, or at least a couple miles will work) and you eat according to the pre-op diet, you should be fine! I lost 23 lbs. pre-op.

-Jason

jason--how exciting 23 pounds just pre op thats amazing, congrats!! Who did your surgery and where is he located?

I work at a hotel and i just walked to a room and they had 2 boxes of pizza-- they offered me some i was like "noo nono" normally i would be like alright free snack. But i know i have to do this right and I'm not really tempted to mess it up i'm just feeling soooo low on energy and this headaches killing me.

I went to paris and amsterdam for spring break last week and i ate soooo much. i knew i was going to be scheduling my surgery soon I just ate anything and everything. i got all that eating out of my system. I especially ate hotdogs on my vacation I love them but i've read a few horror storied on this forum about them getting stuck b/c no matter how much you chew it, the skin of the hotdog causes problems so no hotdogs for me.

jason--how exciting 23 pounds just pre op thats amazing, congrats!! Who did your surgery and where is he located?

I work at a hotel and i just walked to a room and they had 2 boxes of pizza-- they offered me some i was like "noo nono" normally i would be like alright free snack. But i know i have to do this right and I'm not really tempted to mess it up i'm just feeling soooo low on energy and this headaches killing me.

I went to paris and amsterdam for spring break last week and i ate soooo much. i knew i was going to be scheduling my surgery soon I just ate anything and everything. i got all that eating out of my system. I especially ate hotdogs on my vacation I love them but i've read a few horror storied on this forum about them getting stuck b/c no matter how much you chew it, the skin of the hotdog causes problems so no hotdogs for me.

Dr. Michael Schwartz, part of the Healtheast Bariatrics Center of Excellent in St. Paul, MN.

Be veryyyyy weary of the "last supper syndrome." I ate Chipotle my "last time" about six times. I kept saying "this will be the last time I can goto Chipotle! I need one more!" So be weary if you have that feeling again, because you'll have to stop it at some point.

I understand in Amsterdam you must've been high as a kite and you just haaad to eat. I'm sure I'm right :). Hehehe.

Just get your body adjusted to not eating as much. Takes a few days and a few walls to put holes in.

-Jason

I am on day 9 of pre-op and have lost 13 pounds! I will be so glad when March 20 arrives! I am ready for this! Tired of liquids but at least I am allowed to have mashed potatoes during the pre-op. They just have to be runny. The first 3 days I kept asking myself "what are you doing" and " you must be crazy" for wanting this surgery. Then the headaches went away and I am pretty adjusted now. The only thing that really bothers me is going to the grocery store and having to smell the bakery and deli departments. The food smells so good but I am really not hungry.

I saw my nutritionist on Monday and she told me to just make sure I am getting 60-80 grams of Protein. She said this will keep the nails, skin, and hair health and keep the hair from coming out. She said in her experience most people don't lose the hair until 3-6 months after surgery. She said this is because people get slack with making sure they are eating Protein. I am sure going to listen to what she said.

Good luck to everyone! I am counting the days!

Angie:)