Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did not have this surgery to give up food forever!

Am I the only one who had the sleeve surgery to get off this rollercoaster ride called dieting? Yes it is a permanent lifestyle change, yes I need to watch what I eat BUT is it so bad that I eat a low carb tortilla, or a slice of wheat toast or god forbid a bite of a cookie or a few potato chips at a party to feel normal? I had this surgery to use as a tool to eat less and watch my portions, I did not have this surgery to feel miserable like I can never have tasty food again. Yes it is all about moderation and I stick to the "protein first" guidelines, I drink my shakes, but I need to know I am not alone in thinking this.... If I want a burger down the road, Is it bad to eat one? Well technically probably half a burger with no bun! I am 9 weeks out, and Iv'e lost 39Lbs but I started with a lower BMI. I am happy with my weight loss so far, I just need to know I am not destined for plain chicken and veggies for life!

I'm with you on this! I want to be able to have a few bites of tasty food & not feel bad about it...I know I'm still early out but I want to know that later when I'm ready that its ok....Thank You so much for posting this

I agree completely !! In fact I refuse to write down what I eat or count calories or weigh food or anything that even feels like a "diet" I stopped doing that 6 years ago when I was banded and I lost 90 lbs and kept it off with the exception of 20 that I fluctuated. I make good food choices about 80 % of the time and focus on my overall health. I do eat a lot of Protein and I run and I live a normal life.

I thank you for this also. I feel the same way. Many people have told me why are you even getting the surgery, you don't need it. But in actuality my BMI was 39. I love food. I could not diet anymore. I chose this as a tool to eat smaller portions and not eat everything in sight when I go to a buffet. There is no way in hell that I could possibly eat chicken, hamburgers, or turkey the rest of my life. I don't mind these foods. But I need to have some "bad" food once in a while. I love my pizza, macaroni and cheese, bread, and pretzels. I am ok with a couple bites, but I need them. I start puréed food on Monday, but I have been so discouraged on here with all the people saying why would you even want to try that stuff that's why you were heavy in the first place. But I enjoy those things. I need to know that I'm going to be able to have some of them in the future.

I am almost 10 months out and I really do eat anything I want, just in very small portions. I am slowing reintroducing carbs back into my diet and I am still loosing every week. I still eat Protein first then vegs and maybe carbs. If I eat a hamburger or lets say a taco, I might eat one or two bites with the bun and then 2-3ozs without. It seems to keep me satisfied. I also eat a tiny bites of deserts once in awhile! I think I can eat like this forever!

I agree totally with you all.... My surgery is not until 12/9 and I'm scared to death!! Hence my name!!! However, while I am committed to do as I am told and follow the rules, I am NOT having the surgery so that never again can a dessert pass thru my lips. Nor am I having the surgery so that I may eat bland, gross, bird food for the rest of my life. After healing, if I want a bite or two of a cookie or pie, or if I want a couple bites of steak... I don't want to go to hell!! Isn't it OK? Not regularly, just on occassion? Can anyone reassure me that this will be possible? Thanks everyone for your posts!!!

Yes you can certainly eat anything you want. And yes you can continue to be a slave to food.

You can also regain all of your lost weight later on.

Or you may keep it off. Which will it be? Do you have any idea what it's going to be like 1 year, 2 years, 5 years down the line?

This whole "feeling guilty" thing is ridiculous. No one is trying to make anyone feel guilty. No one is trying to shame anyone for eating junk food. But those folks who have been at this a while know that as time goes by appetites change....food capacity changes....metabolism changes....weight loss stops....the things that are working for you now may not work later on. Why not try to beat that need for unhealthy food early on while it's easier? Why does anyone need pizza or hamburgers to feel normal?

People make different choices on this, but I'd like to challenge the belief that Protein and vegetables are bland, boring, disgusting, and deprivation rations.

chicken, fish, lobster, crab, shrimp, lamb, pork, steak, ground beef, steaks, roasts, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, eggplant, green Beans, okra, spinach, kale, beets, salsas, spices, herbs...what's bland and boring about those??

I think if we started to think of how LUCKY we are to be able to eat such richness and still lose weight, maybe we wouldn't feel deprived?

Party poopers...

I can eat a cookie! But the fact of the matter is even with the sleeve I can eat tons of Cookies..

If I could stop at just one or two I wouldn't be fat!

Fact, with the sleeve you will feel restriction when you eat dense Proteins. Junk food (you know the good stuff) slides nicely through.

And you can eat lots if it easily hence the name "sliders"

So as you get further out it is all about choices. Just like before.

Im sorry but this is not about wanting to continue to eat "Junk Food" I dont want cheetos and cupcakes, pancakes and stuff of that sort.What I am saying is if I want a few pop chips, or instead of a chicken salad switch it up to a chicken burrito with a low carb tortilla. I am not oblivious to the fact that over 50% of WLS patients gain thier weight back after loosing. Its all about moderation... Trust me I love fish, veggies, chicken etc... but on my birthday If i have a tiny slice of cake should I be made to feel that I am not "taking advantage" of my tool? Or that I am not serious about my weight loss- cause trust me, If I am having a part of my anatomy removed and have scars to show for it I sure as hell will not be taking this lightly.

Yes you can certainly eat anything you want. And yes you can continue to be a slave to food.

You can also regain all of your lost weight later on.

Or you may keep it off. Which will it be? Do you have any idea what it's going to be like 1 year, 2 years, 5 years down the line?

This whole "feeling guilty" thing is ridiculous. No one is trying to make anyone feel guilty. No one is trying to shame anyone for eating junk food. But those folks who have been at this a while know that as time goes by appetites change....food capacity changes....metabolism changes....weight loss stops....the things that are working for you now may not work later on. Why not try to beat that need for unhealthy food early on while it's easier? Why does anyone need pizza or hamburgers to feel normal?

Im sorry but this is not about wanting to continue to eat "Junk Food" I dont want cheetos and cupcakes, pancakes and stuff of that sort.What I am saying is if I want a few pop chips, or instead of a chicken salad switch it up to a chicken burrito with a low carb tortilla. I am not oblivious to the fact that over 50% of WLS patients gain thier weight back after loosing. Its all about moderation... Trust me I love fish, veggies, chicken etc... but on my birthday If i have a tiny slice of cake should I be made to feel that I am not "taking advantage" of my tool? Or that I am not serious about my weight loss- cause trust me, If I am having a part of my anatomy removed and have scars to show for it I sure as hell will not be taking this lightly.

Ah that's a different matter. I don't think any reasonable person would tell you not to enjoy an occasional treat like cake on your birthday or that you can't have a low carb wrap every once in a while.

Fact is we have abstainers and we have moderators.

Moderators can eat a variety of things in moderation and not suffer. They don't like being deprived because it makes them obsess about that forbidden food. Moderators are better off having a bite and moving on.

Abstainers are people who are carb/sugar addicts who find it easier to avoid carbs because it makes them crave more. Abstainers get hungrier and hungrier the more they eat of a particular type of food, typically carbs. Abstainers are better off just not touching the trigger food at all.

We didn't all get fat the same way and we don't all get thin the same way.

But I do think that cake on your birthday is very different from cake any time you want to--as long as it's only a few bites. Because as it turn out, pretty soon your sleeve holds many more bites and then where are you?

Im sorry but this is not about wanting to continue to eat "Junk Food" I dont want cheetos and cupcakes' date=' pancakes and stuff of that sort.What I am saying is if I want a few pop chips, or instead of a chicken salad switch it up to a chicken burrito with a low carb tortilla. I am not oblivious to the fact that over 50% of WLS patients gain thier weight back after loosing. Its all about moderation... Trust me I love fish, veggies, chicken etc... but on my birthday If i have a tiny slice of cake should I be made to feel that I am not "taking advantage" of my tool? Or that I am not serious about my weight loss- cause trust me, If I am having a part of my anatomy removed and have scars to show for it I sure as hell will not be taking this lightly.

[/quote']

So it's not about eating junk food just cake? Bloody hell!

And no one is making you feel anything. It's up to you to do what you can live with. But just don't be one of the many who is 1-2 years out and never made it to goal, putting on weight, and no clue how to do anything about it.

People make different choices on this' date=' but I'd like to challenge the belief that Protein and vegetables are bland, boring, disgusting, and deprivation rations. chicken, fish, lobster, crab, shrimp, lamb, pork, steak, ground beef, steaks, roasts, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, eggplant, green Beans, okra, spinach, kale, beets, salsas, spices, herbs...what's bland and boring about those?? I think if we started to think of how LUCKY we are to be able to eat such richness and still lose weight, maybe we wouldn't feel deprived?[/quote'] Mmmmm hungry. :)

So it's not about eating junk food just cake? Bloody hell!

And no one is making you feel anything. It's up to you to do what you can live with. But just don't be one of the many who is 1-2 years out and never made it to goal, putting on weight, and no clue how to do anything about it.

The cake was an example because you seem to not be understanding what this post is about. No one is looking for sympathy or the "OK" to go eat crap!