Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running Out Of Ideas.........help

Hey y'all

OK so I've been banded since 1/24/07 and lost 25lbs to date. I've had one fill a week ago today 1.3cc. Things are going OK, I guess. I wish I could be loosing more weight but, according to my doc I'm right on schedule. I've learned what foods to avoid bread, Pasta, tortilla's etc. My whole way of eating is so different then before I was banded. There aren't really any foods that I miss. However I feel like I'm so limited in what I can eat. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions on good foods to eat for taste and that are healthy. I eat lots of Soup, fish, Vienna sausages, eggs, mashed potatoes, crackers, low cal puddings and sugar free pudding pops. I'm kinda getting tired of these foods and would love to try some new things that other people have been OK eating. Thanks for listening look forward to hearing back from y'all real soon.

Hey Ryanband,

First of all, congrats on that amazing weight loss!!!! Fabulous!

Just a little advice I got from my nutritionist; beware of the Soups, and vienna sausages. The Soups unless homemade, are most likely LOADED with sodium, which helps you retain Water. As for the vienna sausage - as 'cute and compact and yummy' as they are - they too are loaded with salt.

I am really trying very hard to keep myself on NON-processed foods. Trying to stay fresh with most of what I'm eating now. Somehow it seems to fill me more too. I do eat tuna salad, egg salad, ham salad (high salt!). I had two links of italian sausage and some mushy green peppers - wonderful! And there is plently left over in that. I was plenty full on the two links. I'm also eating String cheese for Snacks, cottage cheese keeps me full. Salmon is a heavier fish and marinated in mustard, then baked - its delicious. I'm also experimenting with different types of sardines. I can't eat 'real' sardines, the skin and bones gross me out. But I'm trying the skinless/boneless- and one can is VERY high in Protein. How about a meatloaf made with ground turkey? For veggies, I'm cutting up broccolli, cauliflower, spinach - and putting it in a plastic ziploc type of bag with about 1/4 cup of Water. I poke 3 holes in the bag on top - and microwave it - this steams the veggies. I'm not eating any pasta/carbs - though I did splurge on the little confetti potatoes at Trader Joes (another GREAT place to shop, if you have on in your area...great single serve frozen seafood and chicken dishes).

There is a really great food Forum on this site - if my ideas were too boring for you; visit that thread - for some Wonderful ideas!

If you have any recipies or ideas to share - feel free!!!

Thanks for your ideas.........they were great. I had no idea that Soup was so high in sodium and would casue me to retain Water. I haven't tried any veggies but i'm looking forward to trying your steamed veggie idea. Kepp me posted to any new food ideas. Take care:)

Unfortunately, alot of processed, prepackaged foods are high in sodium; helps to preserve them.

I have/had really high blood pressure...its perfect now. But I'm very aware of salt contents in food, and I know how much Water I retain when I'm on a high salt binge. Heck, even if you try all 'fresh' foods for a week - see if you notice a difference in the puffiness in your hands, fingers, ankles, etc. For me, it makes a difference.

I'm also on the Special K Protein Water kick. Each bottle has just 50 calories, but 5 grams of Protein.< /p>

Another way I get FULL when I'm feeling hungry; I put 1 cup of Skim Milk plus in a blender with ice, and my protein powder; it gets nice and thick - and it satisfies me for a long time.

I forgot about the Special K Protein Water!! Thanks for the reminder! Does that stuff taste any good? What kind of protein is it?

I could eat my weight in green vegetables! My favorites (and easy ones for me) are broccoli, steamed asparagus, endamame, grilled zuchinni, boiled squash, okra, cabbage, and snap peas. I always keep canned chicken breast around to throw on top of a salad and have an instant complete lunch, makes quick chicken salad also. Same with tuna. If you do Snacks, a sliced cucumber dipped in Ranch is good. Fat free cottage cheese has like 80 calories in a half cup, and a whopping 12g of protein....sometimes I like to stir in a spoonful of sugar free Orange marmalade. Those are just some ideas off the top of my head.

28 pounds is awesome- I was banded the week after you and I was down 20 but have put about 5-6 back on (I am such a hungry hungry caterpillar... I can't wait to get a fill next week. Anyhow, you have lost lots- be proud of that. You'll read on this board a lot about how any loss before the 3 month mark is a bonus, that at 3 months you start to really lose. (I keep repeating that to myself to keep my head above water).

Here are a couple ideas:

get recipes and make your own Soups or casseroles so they are healthier but are still things you can eat

eggs- I like eggs. some don't, but I love them in egg salad (esp. deviled egg salad

:hungry: go to the recipe forum here: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/recipes-new-forum-f82.html for loads of good ideas. I like yogurt (there are loads of healthy brands with less sugar and such). Fish is great- soft and often doesn't cause problems and millions of ways to do it.

I am like you, I lean towards processed, packaged things but one thing that helps me is to make food on the weekend and put it into containers or baggies (baggies are more disposable) so I can access it just like I would convenience foods. Lots of stuff freezes well also.

:D Don't forget when you do indulge in vienna sausages to get a bit more Water in to compensate for that sodium. As I said, I like the same types of foods but understand the need for variety (I also understand other's telling us to eat more healthy:D ).

I don't in any way mean to say not to eat healthy---but you also need to keep in mind a realistic eating plan for you, and for the remainder of your life! I do my best to choose the foods that are best for me, but also foods that fit into my life, and that of my family. I cook one meal. If it is just DH and I, I may cook a piece of meat, and a single veggie, and we are fine. But if I have all the kids here, and we have a giant spaghetti feast, or a Mexican meal, I will eat it right along with them. When we go out to dinner--I try to balance it out. If I have been eating "good" at home, then I might splurge a little, and have something with more carbs for instance. But if I know I have been not eating so well, I will have a salad, and keep in mind, the going out is a treat---not the food. I am not cooking, I have good company...

I do plan ahead. When I cook these days, I always have leftovers!!! I bought several packages of the sectioned plates during last summers picnic supply sales. And when I have left overs, I fill a couple of plates, pop them in the food saver, then into the freezer. I eat these for lunch, or if DH is working late. It keeps me with simple to fix meal--without it being full of all the preservatives they put in TV dinners. Plus then I load the plate the way I want with mostly Protein, then veggies, and only a few carbs. I can also be assured of enough gravy or whatever for my meat.

I buy zip lock bags whenever I find them cheap, and use them to break down large bags of almonds, otherwise I tend to munch aimlessly on them!!! But I also snack on things that are not good for me--chips etc. The difference is, I only eat a few bites now, so I refuse to beat myself up over it.

I am tired of thinking about every bite I take, so I don't. I eat less---I move more....and I have a much healthier way of looking at what I eat and when I eat it. It works for me, without feeling overwhelming--like diets always felt.

Kat

Hello everyone!! I love reading everyone's suggestions, but I was wondering if you guys could possibly add what stage you all are eating these foods. I don't mean to complain, it just makes it easier to guage when I should be able to eat these thing.

Thanks SO much!!:clap2:

Stacy

I forgot about the Special K Protein Water!! Thanks for the reminder! Does that stuff taste any good? What kind of Protein is it?

Unfortunately, I tried the Special K Protein Water, and I thought it was gross. Sorry to say. The Tropical Blend flavor, to me tasted like vomit. The strawberry Kiwi wasn't as bad. I haven't yet tried the Lemon Twist. But everyone's taste is different, so it would probably be better to try it for yourself. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I tried the Special K Protein Water, and I thought it was gross. Sorry to say. The Tropical Blend flavor, to me tasted like vomit. The strawberry Kiwi wasn't as bad. I haven't yet tried the Lemon Twist. But everyone's taste is different, so it would probably be better to try it for yourself. Good luck.

I'm afraid I have to concur.

I tried the fruit Punch flavor today and thought it was horrible. I didn't buy the strawberry Kiwi because I don't really like either of those flavors. The Lemon flavor tastes like a tart lemonade with a bitter sweetner taste in the background.

The problem with these drinks is they seem too "syrupy" to me and I find myself wanting to dilute them. But for $6.00 per 4 bottles this isn't going to turn out to be a great way to get a little extra Protein after all. :speechles