Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sudden and excruciating pain 3 weeks out

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. It's been rough. Not able to eat anything but Jello, popsicles and the occasional bit of yogurt. Protein is tough too but I am trying. I've lost 47 pounds (surgery weight was 264) which seems fast. I'm taking all of my Vitamins and actually went back to work on Monday. I worked at my desk, took it slow, no big flights of stairs on both Monday and Tuesday. I even left a bit early. Tuesday night I began having excruciating pain in my upper right side. I couldn't sleep and getting up was near impossible. The pain moved into my legs for a few hours as well which was very scary.

Weird thing is that I could have sworn on Tuesday at my desk I felt a popping in that same area, almost like a snap or an electric shock. I stayed home today but the pain is even worse. No fever. No vomiting. I don't want to be a wuss but it seems odd that 3 weeks out I would develop the worst pain yet.

Am I overreacting? Any recommendations?

I would think you need to call doctor ASAP! do NOT play around with it…could be your gallbladder

I had similar pain, but mine was on the lower left side. I rolled on my side about 3 weeks out (something I was doing for a week), and I felt a pulling / popping. Felt like someone kicked me in the stomach, was hard to breathe, swelling under the skin etc...called the dr and he said it sounds like a hematoma. Basically told me to use a heating pad and take extra strength Tylenol and it would go away once it re-healed. I just did more than my body was ready for, even if I was already rolling on my side.

I had my gallbladder out several years ago. Tyler, what you have described is pretty much spot on.

I had a similar incident about 3 weeks out trying to get out of my car. I felt something pull and I was in pain for days. My dr said it the internal stitch that he did. I started taking liquid Tylenol. Contact your dr!

Either way please call your doctor to be on the safe side.

Edited by MyBodyFreedom

I think calling the doctor is a good recommendatiom. Thank you!

Please keep us posted. Hopefully it will ease up and go away in no time.

Any result from this? I just started having terrible pain on my upper left side suddenly today... More painful than anything, including right after surgery! This is really terrible, the nurse at the office didn't seem too concerned, and I'm okay at rest, but if I move-- my goodness! What did the doctor say? I have a follow up appointment on Wednesday, hopefully I can make it that long!

bodyweight.png?ts=1382456267

Get to the doctor. I had a very serious staph infection, as well as kidney stones.

Byjenna,

Wow, I hope you are okay now. I hear kidney stone pan is absolutely the worst kind of pain there is. I am so sorry for you!

Did the doc say it was because of the surgery or eating patterns... Or just a fluke?

Thanks for your insight! I very much appreciate it!

Probably just a fluke. The staph infection was the most serious and painful. If it spread, I could have died.. You know your body...even in it's new condition. If you feel like there is something wrong, get help. I learned my lesson.

I called yesterday, and they said it was probably nothing, and to just take it easy... As long as I don't move, it's OK, but if I move or touch the area it's excruciating... I'm trying to take it easy right now, get pain meds in and rest... The Red Sox parade is going on in Boston right now, half the streets in the city are closed down with outrageous traffic- if I'm still hurting this bad tonight, or if I get a fever or other symptom of something wrong other than just pain, I will return to the emergency room certainly. But for now, the thought of sitting in 2hrs traffic, only to wait in emergency room for 10 hours before I'm seen seems worse than being in pain right now...

bodyweight.png?ts=1382456267

I never got a fever even though my staph had spread throughout both upper quadrants.