Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

AM I WASTING MY TIME?

Sign in to follow this  

Hey members, I have to wonder if I am spinning my wheels here. Admittedly, this ain't my first rodeo. I've started groups before. Unfortunately, the results were similar.

I am a creative. Before retiring I spent my professional career as a freelance writer. My mind can launch visuals to fill a video at a moment's notice, write poetry and prose and think up ideas, both practical and fanciful. I had a group on care2.com named Serenity in Sync. (It's still there if you want to take a look.) Started as a tribute to frontline animal rescuers as a place where they could go to, relax and take their mind of the gruesome realities they deal with every day, Serenity in Sync had a wild compilation of music for all ages, hysterical and deeply compelling videos, poignant posts, animal themed jokes, funny animal antics ... you name it. I even started a soap opera that was a lot of interactive fun for those who wanted to contribute to its ongoing saga.

While the group was rich with content, I can't say it ever caught on. Seems the rescuers were too busy doing what they do to take a break. But we forged on until my co-host died. She and I had established a very close relationship, and her death was a heartbreaker for me.

A couple of years later I became obsessed with weight loss surgery, first the lap band and later the sleeve. Along the way, I joined a few groups. Then I thought, "wouldn't it be great to have a group of peers communicating." You know ... like you and me, Faye and Cheryl, Jean and Coco, newcomer Linda. Baby Boomers! Yeah ... that's it.

Baby Boomers launched in February and was slow going at first. But in talking with the moderator of another specialty group, she said, "wait, and it'll pick up." But you know, that never really happened. Like the stock market, our group has been characterized by fits and starts.

For the past 2 weeks I have been tied up with a work project. When these come in, it takes every bit of my energy and concentration to do it. After all, I am 67 and while I like to think of myself as 40-something, my body refuses to go along. Heck, I've even fallen asleep "on the job." Now that's is more than embarrassing.

Yesterday, I had an exhausting day with just a few hours of sleep and when I finally wound down, I crashed and slept for 6 hours. When I woke, my first thought was of you guys. How you'd been deprived of my involvement for 2 weeks, and although things were cooking a little when I left for work back on Oct. 10, they have since come to a dead halt.

So I wrote a couple of posts to stir the fire once again. One of the posts specifically asked for your feedback. Guess what happened? Not much. Faye kindly replied to one of my posts and, Jean at least "liked" one of the posts, but that was about it.

Several members have expressed the view that "I hope the group keeps going. It'd be nice to see people posting there" (or something along those lines). Those are the same folks who never post again.

So, what's it gonna be, members? Does this group have enough value to you that you can make a commitment to write something every day, even if it's only, "Hi, how's everybody doing?" I'm going to have my surgery a week from Friday, and I don't know if I'll feel up to posting.

Can you make a commitment or not? I realize everyone is busy and most belong to other groups. If you like them so much more than Boomers, is there any reason to keep this alive?

Edited by SassySenior

Wouldn't you know that yesterday there was activity on here and I was away from my computer most of the day. I can't/don't use my phone for this site, I need to be on my desktop and I was not at home for the bulk of the day and evening. My guess is that we need a few more members so that there will be more chatting on this site.

Edited by jeanielan

My problem is that I've really been accessing this from my phone most of the time, and the new beta of the app still doesn't let me access posts from private groups. I'm still here, though!

My problem is that I've really been accessing this from my phone most of the time, and the new beta of the app still doesn't let me access posts from private groups. I'm still here, though!

Chris - Hi, honey! I thought you died ... or were taking a really extended honeymoon. Did I read correctly that you've lost over 100 lbs? Amazing! Glad you spoke up. As you can see, I'm still trying to pump up interest in this group. I don't think it will ever be much more than a specialty group with an intimate number of members. Translate, small. ha ha I've directed people to post in the thread called "Boomer Chat Room" to make it easier for everybody to see and reply to posts. So, chickadee, hop on over there and meet your new friends. You are gonna like them, I guarantee it. While you're at it, how about an update on YOU? C'mon, it's been ages. xoxox p.s. I'm getting sleeved Nov. 1. Yay!