Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am an ex smoker, quit oct 4 for the sleeve. surgery is nov 4. My doc recommended quitting, but doesn't require it. It is REALLY hard being on the pre op diet and not smoking too. This is HARD!!!!!! But I am very motivated that this will all be worth it.

My doctor required to quit smoking 6 weeks prior to surgery, but doesn't nicotine test (go figure). I didn't want to take any chances of risking not having my surgery. So I quit. It was really really hard. I did it cold turkey. My surgery is in 4 days and I am glad I quit. I am feeling a ton better. But it is true; it is hard to do the pre-op diet and not smoke too.

My experience with quitting went like this:

Day 1 - I did a lot of sleeping and mind over matter

Day 2 - The physical withdrawals along with the ritual withdrawals were really kicking in

Day 3 - I thought day 2 was bad, but everything was in full force. This was the worst day. Anxiety, hot flashes, food cravings, sleep issues, physical discomfort, difficulty concentrating

Day 4 - More of the same as Day 3 but not quite as bad

Day 5 - Things started to improve and I finally started to feel there was some hope.

Day 6 - I felt like I can beat this.

By Day 10 ish - I started to feel like a non-smoker.

I have smoked for 23 years about 2 packs a day. I never want to go through quitting again. So I am really motivated to stay a non-smoker.

Good Luck,

Bonnie

Might I add, I am feeling a little sadistic having this surgery. I have given up drinking alcohol, coffee, food, smoking. Where is my will to live? About the only thing left is SEX and that might be difficult because I am such a moody B from quitting everything and being on a liquid diet, who can stand to be around me long enough to ... well you know....

Might I add, I am feeling a little sadistic having this surgery. I have given up drinking alcohol, coffee, food, smoking. Where is my will to live? About the only thing left is SEX and that might be difficult because I am such a moody B from quitting everything and being on a liquid diet, who can stand to be around me long enough to ... well you know....

Totally feel you. I have given up my last couple vices.....and WILLINGLY! So glad to be a non smoker!

Quit cold turkey today!!! At my physical they asked and told me healing would be compromised as a smoker so it would run the risk of a leak. Also loose skin is worse in smokers...

Left the appointment and threw all my cigs in the trash at the hospital. Forget that!

Smoking is a waste. If you're getting this surgery to be serious about your health and get on the right track than smoking nicotine does you no favors. It never did and never will. It's tough to quit. I quit cold turkey in January of this year from being a pack a day smoker for 12 years.

That's great! It can be done...

I quit a month before my surgery. Surgery was August 21st. I smoked for 16 years at least. Quitting once for a year when I found out I was pregnant back in 2010. I was also told about the skin not bouncing back fully if your a smoker. So I dropped that habit quick. Been feeling great ever since.....oh and my husband quit a few days before me to support me oh our new journey :) .....mmmmm He is however outta state which is why I believe we are still married after quitting at the same time HA Its hard I know but you can do it!! You'll be so happy you did after your surgery and you can do things like walk long distances and maybe even run later! :ph34r: Good luck on your journey

Edited by sophiepants

I quit a month before mu surgery. Surgery was August 21st. I smoked for 16 years at least. Quitting once for a year when I found out I was pregnant back in 2010. I was also told about the skin not bouncing back fully if your a smoker. So I dropped that habit quick. Been feeling great ever since.....oh and my husband quit a few days before me to support me oh our new journey :) .....mmmmm He is however outta state which is why I believe we are still married after quitting at the same time HA Its hard I know but you can do it!! You'll be so happy you did after your surgery and you can do things like walk long distances and maybe even run later! :ph34r: Good luck on your journey

That's awesome!

Quit cold turkey today!!! At my physical they asked and told me healing would be compromised as a smoker so it would run the risk of a leak. Also loose skin is worse in smokers...

Left the appointment and threw all my cigs in the trash at the hospital. Forget that!

That is hard core! Great job making your mind up! Keep reminding yourself why you did it these next few weeks! You can make it through it there are plenty of us rootin for ya! Most of us have been there and survived....you will too!!

Okay.... I just realized something. This is the Man's Room.

<-------leaving quietly. :)

Okay.... I just realized something. This is the Man's Room.

<-------leaving quietly. :)

Crap me too......

What about smoking weed? Any medical pot users post op?