Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DFW TX Surgeon selection? (Dallas / Ft. Worth)

A tremendous thank you to everyone that contributed your opinions, and experiences. I got a call yesterday confirming a date I wanted with the surgeon I wanted; game on.

I decided on Dr. Nick Nicholson. Lots of great choices, but he was my decision.

I go in for my EGD in a few days; January 21, and am scheduled for surgery February 4. Kinda cool that day is my birth date, so a re-birth on my birthday. At least I will never forget the date I got sleeved.

One thing is that is bothering me is that he is doing my EGB and surgery at Microsurgery Institute of Dallas. I have never heard anything about that place. Anyone have any input? Looking it up online looks like it is also called Northstar, but the doctors office refers to it as Microsurgery Institute. I may start a new thread asking the same questions...

Thanks again all, I am so ready to move to the next step in my journey.

I too will be having my surgery by Dr. Nick at the microsurgery institute. I have been looking for info also. I will be interested in what we can find out from others here. Good luck with your surgery. I will be scheduled in April.

I had my sleeve done by Dr. Cribbins in Plano at Presby Plano (which has a Center of Excellence for Bariatric surgery). I couldn't be happier with both. Dr. Cribbins and staff were knowlegable and took their time with me. The nurses and Bariatric Coordinator at the hospital are experts and great at educating patients. They were also focused on pain relief, which I appreciated.

I called Dr Nicholson but they don't take medicare. His office had me call Dr. Colleen Kennedy at Baylor Plano. She has a partner, Dr. Julie Kilgore who is going to do my surgery. They do not do the lap-band & I'm having the Sleeve done. I really like Dr. Kilgore & can't say enough good things about her, Baylor Plano, & all of the office people I've had to deal with. So far it's been a very good experience. Dr Kennedy & Dr Kilgore have an office in Rockwall & somewhere else. Good luck in your search.

I posted here previously singing Dr. Nick's praises. Those of you who are happy with the staff are you self pay?? I have insurance and it takes days (literally) to get a return phone call. Does cash talk faster ??? I am thinking of finding someone else because of this. All input is welcome!!

Does anyone have any experience with Dr Hodges ar Barker Bariatrics?

I too will have my sleeve with Dr. Colleen Kennedy. Her and her colleague Dr. Kilgore have a great reputation! :)

I posted here previously singing Dr. Nick's praises. Those of you who are happy with the staff are you self pay?? I have insurance and it takes days (literally) to get a return phone call. Does cash talk faster ??? I am thinking of finding someone else because of this. All input is welcome!!

Yes, cash does talk faster. You go right to the front of the line due to no insurance hassles. I was very happy with the office except for one PA on follow up visits.

Dr. Nicholson is one of the best surgeons but there are a lot of top surgeons in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

I just got my approval letter for the sleeve. Has anyone used Dr. Cribbins in Plano? What are your results?

I just got my approval letter for the sleeve. Has anyone used Dr. Cribbins in Plano? What are your results?

I was sleeved by Dr. Cribbins and Presby Plano and had an excellent experience. I can't say enough good things about the doctor, his staff, and the bariatric center of excellence at Presby Plano. Dr. Cribbins is knowlegable and experienced and, at Presby Plano, I was on a floor with nothing but bariatric patients - so the staff also had a lot of experience.

Not to say it was always easy (the first week is pretty rough), but I was confident in the medical staff. Good luck with your surgery - maybe I'll see you at a support group meeting.

I had Dr . Cribbins as well he's great. He also removed my Gallbladder several years before. I work and see him around again he's great. I'm completely satisfied with his work . I recommend him even for gallbladder surgery if needed. If anyone asks he's the one and his partner Dr. Hamm.

I knew this is an old thread but maybe a newbie will read this.......

My advise would be to go to the orientations of many drs if you can. Not just with one and TRUST YOUR GUT. I really wish I would have.

I used Dr. Provost too because of his long history doing these surgeries. He has actually trained doctors to do bariatric surgery. One differentiating factor for me was his follow up and support system. I received a notebook with tabs for appointments, diets for every stage, Vitamins etc. All spelt out for which ever surgery you & he decide is best! The office also has a clothing exchange where you can drop &/or shop. And they have monthly support meetings after hours. I felt in very good hands!

Good luck! There are a ton of weight loss surgeons out there, and I have researched most of them. I'm using Dr. David Provost in Denton, TX because he was recommended to me by at least 3 other doctors. I was/am considered a high risk patient because of my weight and age, and Dr. Provost is one of the pioneers of weight loss surgery. He taught, "proctored," many of the doctors in the D/FW area. High on my list of great doctors are: Harry Meyers, John Marsden, and Joseph Cribbins. Met and disliked Kuhn. Others off my list include Kim and a doctor who practices either in Oak Cliff or South Dallas (Hispanic), A former patient told me they were money-centered and, in fact, had a pre-op seminar you had to attend for $300 (out of pocket). Heard good things about Hamn, Nicholson and others too numerous to mention. For me, #1 was a great surgeon #2 some kind of after care, #3 friendly office staff. Actually, I decided #3 was preferable, but not a requirement. I wanted the best doc. I would suggest 2 things for you: True Results doctors probably all have the same setup, prices, etc.. Ask a bunch of doctors what it costs for self-pay vs. going to a lot of seminars. I know my doc offers a reasonable price. Also consider going to Mexico. There are a couple of surgeons there who are highly recommended, and prices are much lower. Lastly, I loved Dr. Meyers, but I was too far down the road to start over.

====================

Barbcute, will you be going to the meeting next week?

Karenlee, I would like to go to one and see how I like it. The email I just got was the was for the pouch rules class and it said it was people 6 months out? I know they have other classes too - Have you gone to any?

Barbcute, will you be going to the meeting next week?