Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DFW TX Surgeon selection? (Dallas / Ft. Worth)

Dr. Kuhn at Medical City! I am scheduled for my sleeve in early November but I already went to my pre op appointment and pre admitted to the hospital. Him and his staff are fantastic and I feel so informed and comfortable about the surgery.

Good luck! There are a ton of weight loss surgeons out there, and I have researched most of them. I'm using Dr. David Provost in Denton, TX because he was recommended to me by at least 3 other doctors. I was/am considered a high risk patient because of my weight and age, and Dr. Provost is one of the pioneers of weight loss surgery. He taught, "proctored," many of the doctors in the D/FW area. High on my list of great doctors are: Harry Meyers, John Marsden, and Joseph Cribbins. Met and disliked Kuhn. Others off my list include Kim and a doctor who practices either in Oak Cliff or South Dallas (Hispanic), A former patient told me they were money-centered and, in fact, had a pre-op seminar you had to attend for $300 (out of pocket). Heard good things about Hamn, Nicholson and others too numerous to mention. For me, #1 was a great surgeon #2 some kind of after care, #3 friendly office staff. Actually, I decided #3 was preferable, but not a requirement. I wanted the best doc. I would suggest 2 things for you: True Results doctors probably all have the same setup, prices, etc.. Ask a bunch of doctors what it costs for self-pay vs. going to a lot of seminars. I know my doc offers a reasonable price. Also consider going to Mexico. There are a couple of surgeons there who are highly recommended, and prices are much lower. Lastly, I loved Dr. Meyers, but I was too far down the road to start over.

Dr. Kuhn at Medical City! I am scheduled for my sleeve in early November but I already went to my pre op appointment and pre admitted to the hospital. Him and his staff are fantastic and I feel so informed and comfortable about the surgery.

Congrats, good luck.

Good luck! There are a ton of weight loss surgeons out there, and I have researched most of them. I'm using Dr. David Provost in Denton, TX because he was recommended to me by at least 3 other doctors. I was/am considered a high risk patient because of my weight and age, and Dr. Provost is one of the pioneers of weight loss surgery. He taught, "proctored," many of the doctors in the D/FW area. High on my list of great doctors are: Harry Meyers, John Marsden, and Joseph Cribbins. Met and disliked Kuhn. Others off my list include Kim and a doctor who practices either in Oak Cliff or South Dallas (Hispanic), A former patient told me they were money-centered and, in fact, had a pre-op seminar you had to attend for $300 (out of pocket). Heard good things about Hamn, Nicholson and others too numerous to mention. For me, #1 was a great surgeon #2 some kind of after care, #3 friendly office staff. Actually, I decided #3 was preferable, but not a requirement. I wanted the best doc. I would suggest 2 things for you: True Results doctors probably all have the same setup, prices, etc.. Ask a bunch of doctors what it costs for self-pay vs. going to a lot of seminars. I know my doc offers a reasonable price. Also consider going to Mexico. There are a couple of surgeons there who are highly recommended, and prices are much lower. Lastly, I loved Dr. Meyers, but I was too far down the road to start over.

I have to admit you name surgeons I was not even aware of. So many choices ans so little concrete information!

Thanks for sharing.

Weight loss surgery is not for sissies. In order to be content with the choices you ultimately make, you have to do your own research. There are a lot of one-stop-shop docs you can use if you want to make it fast and easy. Personally, I wanted the choice to be mine, so I did a lot of research. I disagree with you ... there IS a lot of concrete information out there. You just have to look for it. If you're not finding it, you haven't looked hard enough.

Weight loss surgery is not for sissies. In order to be content with the choices you ultimately make, you have to do your own research. There are a lot of one-stop-shop docs you can use if you want to make it fast and easy. Personally, I wanted the choice to be mine, so I did a lot of research. I disagree with you ... there IS a lot of concrete information out there. You just have to look for it. If you're not finding it, you haven't looked hard enough.

I agree 100% that everyone has to make educated decisions and do their own research. That was the purpose of the post to ask people how they educated themselves.

My original post; “Is there an unbiased source for true numbers such as how many procedure completed and complications? How do you educate yourself and make the choice?

So, fair enough. Do you care to share where you obtained your concrete information on surgeons that you used to make your decision?

I do appreciate everyone sharing their personal accounts and experiences. Thanks all!

Sorry T,

I forgot you said to be gentle. That's not really my strong point. I'm probably better in person (gentler). Ha!

Anyway, I really dug my feet in when I did my research. First, I made a list of the criteria I wanted a surgeon to meet. I wasted a lot of time not focusing on insurance. because it turned out to be my #1.

Then, for me, I had to have a highly experienced super surgeon since I was high risk.. So that was the 2nd thing I researched.

Starting with surgeons were in my area, I made a list of possibilities, created a WORD file and inserted info about them as I found it. I went to their websites, but of course, I knew it was largely propaganda. So I checked what patients they had and looked for what they said. You'll be amazed how open patients can be. I did the same thing on several sites.

I narrowed my list to maybe 4 surgeons, initially. I made appts. to either see them or attend their seminars. The first one I saw recommended Dr. Provost. The second one I met, Dr. Kuhn, and I did not mix. He got huffy with me, so he was toast. The third one was Dr. Provost. He met all my criteria at that point. Problem was distance. He's about 35 miles from me, I didn't drive, so I had to get someone to take me. This became a big problem.

That's when I began my next phase of research to find the second best surgeon who was closer to me. True Results did not take my insurance, Medicare, although they had a lot of good doctors. I continued looking at surgeon info online. At times, I did a search, just for their name. Other times, I searched for "reviews, Dr. X." I checked any online site for sleeved patients, and checked out the patients' posts to see what they said about their surgeons. A few times I wrote to patients and asked them questions directly. The cream does rise to the top ... but it takes a while. Eventually, I had a list of surgeons I liked a lot ... Meyers, Cribbins, and Marsden. My search stalled again because only Meyers took Medicare and he wasn’t taking new patients at that time. Provost as my best option.

One other thing you can do is check with the Texas Medical Board for any problems. Calling offices or attending seminars is a good way to find out experience and how many surgeries. Surgeons are very forthcoming about this as well as number of complications, etc.. You can also run across this info sometimes when you read a profile.

So, make your list, check it twice, and then take a leap to the other side!

Edited by SassySenior

I also lived outside of town so he had a special consultation we did in his office, the next time I saw Nicholson was on my surgery day! Super fast I was also self-pay!

I am also using Dr. Nick Nicholson. He is quick fast and to the point. But it never feels rushed if that makes any sense. Havent had one bad experience yet. Love the staff and cant until the 24th.

I also used Nicholson! My surgery date was 10/1!

I also used Nicholson! My surgery date was 10/1!

I'm headed in now. I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 hours. Woohoo!

I'm headed in now. I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 hours. Woohoo!

Good luck! Check back in, looking forward to hearing the rest of your journey.

Sorry T,

I forgot you said to be gentle. That's not really my strong point. I'm probably better in person (gentler). Ha!

Anyway, I really dug my feet in when I did my research. First, I made a list of the criteria I wanted a surgeon to meet. I wasted a lot of time not focusing on insurance. because it turned out to be my #1.

Then, for me, I had to have a highly experienced super surgeon since I was high risk.. So that was the 2nd thing I researched.

Starting with surgeons were in my area, I made a list of possibilities, created a WORD file and inserted info about them as I found it. I went to their websites, but of course, I knew it was largely propaganda. So I checked what patients they had and looked for what they said. You'll be amazed how open patients can be. I did the same thing on several sites.

I narrowed my list to maybe 4 surgeons, initially. I made appts. to either see them or attend their seminars. The first one I saw recommended Dr. Provost. The second one I met, Dr. Kuhn, and I did not mix. He got huffy with me, so he was toast. The third one was Dr. Provost. He met all my criteria at that point. Problem was distance. He's about 35 miles from me, I didn't drive, so I had to get someone to take me. This became a big problem.

That's when I began my next phase of research to find the second best surgeon who was closer to me. True Results did not take my insurance, Medicare, although they had a lot of good doctors. I continued looking at surgeon info online. At times, I did a search, just for their name. Other times, I searched for "reviews, Dr. X." I checked any online site for sleeved patients, and checked out the patients' posts to see what they said about their surgeons. A few times I wrote to patients and asked them questions directly. The cream does rise to the top ... but it takes a while. Eventually, I had a list of surgeons I liked a lot ... Meyers, Cribbins, and Marsden. My search stalled again because only Meyers took Medicare and he wasn’t taking new patients at that time. Provost as my best option.

One other thing you can do is check with the Texas Medical Board for any problems. Calling offices or attending seminars is a good way to find out experience and how many surgeries. Surgeons are very forthcoming about this as well as number of complications, etc.. You can also run across this info sometimes when you read a profile.

So, make your list, check it twice, and then take a leap to the other side!

I rewrote my last reply a few times to try and make it not sound defensive, I hope it worked.

I actually have done most of what you mention. My excel sheet has 46 surgeons in the DFW area. I have them ranked by popularity, and also by # of surgeries performed (this seems to vary depending on where the information comes from. Part of my problem is that insurance is not an issue for me, so my list of choices is really long.

I am not able to make multiple seminars since I am 3 states away, but once I pick someone I will make a seminar or more likely a 1 on 1 before I proceed. I that doesn't go well, I move on to #2.

The one thing you mention that I haven't done is call the Texas Medical Board; good advice, I will look into that!

I still have to say that besides the medical board, all that research you mention is not concrete data in my opinion. It is research yes, but most is just information and opinions. All that is important in the decision process, but I hope the Texas Medical Board has unbiased numbers available.

I am a Engineer and live and die (bad choice of words) by data, so what I call concrete unbiased information might be not be the same as the next person.

Thanks for your comments, you bring up great points for people to consider in the process. If you think of anything else, please throw it out there. We are all here to learn, gather information and share. :)

I also lived outside of town so he had a special consultation we did in his office, the next time I saw Nicholson was on my surgery day! Super fast I was also self-pay!

Dr. Nick is still in my top 5 (maybe closer to the top, but who is keeping track). Nice to hear of another out of towner who used him. They seem to have a system for that, and it is laid out nicely.

If you think of anything worth sharing let me know. If he is my choice I might PM you with some questions. :)

The Texas Medical Board does have some info; license date, any discipline, specialties, etc... I haven't found any specifics on rates of complications, or record of surgeries performed yet. I will report when/if I do find that.

This looks like a good tool once you narrow down your surgeon. There is a physician search engine, here is the link. http://reg.tmb.state.tx.us/OnLineVerif/Phys_SearchVerif.asp