Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DFW TX Surgeon selection? (Dallas / Ft. Worth)

Perspective is everything, Laura. So glad to hear you're not rude, altho a strong intimation does count for something, no? Wish I had your insight, grace and savoir faire.

Perspective is everything' date=' Laura. So glad to hear you're not rude, altho a strong intimation does count for something, no? Wish I had your insight, grace and savoir faire.[/quote']

I wish you did too... :D

Sassy, Really, just take a chill pill. To attack someone looking for information is just rude. You don't understand their path and to assume you know it, well...you should know better.

Sorry if you think you wasted your time but everyone's journey is different. Please don't judge, it's not pretty.

Not sure what I did to receive such a negative comment. Hopefully you are the only that feels that way.

Thanks for your input given in the the thread nonetheless. I found it helpful and hopefully other reading did too.

You didn't do anything wrong. Some people are just grumpy because they can't eat donuts for Breakfast anymore.

Good luck on your surgery.

My surgeon is Dr. Michael L. Green Jr. with the Live by Losing clinic in Fort Worth. He has great bedside manner and is honestly concerned. My surgery will be at Plaza Medical Center, Ft. Worth. I had to choose a Bariatric Center of Excellence for insurance to cover.

My update - still have not found any real data on surgeons.

I called a few of my top choices and don't feel any better yet. All 3 offices were more sales oriented than helpful. They were friendly, but I wasn't impressed and they didn't have answers to some of my questions. They all want me to come in for a consultation to get the questions answered, including things like number of surgeries, complications and such. Since I am out of town, that isn't easy. I will of course have a consult with my Dr of choice or even my "finalist", it’s obviously important to have a face to face.

I am beginning to think the decision of selecting a surgeon is more a gut feeling and not based on facts. It is easy to qualify a surgeon as capable and even get some idea of how many procedures they have done, but beyond that I am not so sure. I think any of the surgeons on my list are capable, but how to choose from there is beyond me.

It’s such an important choice, I wish there was a better way.

Thanks again for input on your choice of surgeons.

My update - still have not found any real data on surgeons.

I called a few of my top choices and don't feel any better yet. All 3 offices were more sales oriented than helpful. They were friendly, but I wasn't impressed and they didn't have answers to some of my questions. They all want me to come in for a consultation to get the questions answered, including things like number of surgeries, complications and such. Since I am out of town, that isn't easy. I will of course have a consult with my Dr of choice or even my "finalist", it’s obviously important to have a face to face.

I am beginning to think the decision of selecting a surgeon is more a gut feeling and not based on facts. It is easy to qualify a surgeon as capable and even get some idea of how many procedures they have done, but beyond that I am not so sure. I think any of the surgeons on my list are capable, but how to choose from there is beyond me.

It’s such an important choice, I wish there was a better way.

Thanks again for input on your choice of surgeons.

Rock, paper, scissors?

Flip a coin?

LOL! I know it's hard, you have to be able to trust someone who is cutting most of your stomach out.

I do agree, after the research, gut feeling and meeting someone face to face will probably give you the answer you are looking for.

Good luck and keep us posted!

My update - still have not found any real data on surgeons. I called a few of my top choices and don't feel any better yet. All 3 offices were more sales oriented than helpful. They were friendly, but I wasn't impressed and they didn't have answers to some of my questions. They all want me to come in for a consultation to get the questions answered, including things like number of surgeries, complications and such. Since I am out of town, that isn't easy. <em>I will of course have a consult with my Dr of choice or even my "finalist", it’s obviously important to have a face to face. </em> I am beginning to think the decision of selecting a surgeon is more a gut feeling and not based on facts. It is easy to qualify a surgeon as capable and even get some idea of how many procedures they have done, but beyond that I am not so sure. I think any of the surgeons on my list are capable, but how to choose from there is beyond me. It’s such an important choice, I wish there was a better way. Thanks again for input on your choice of surgeons.

Well mine was in Mexico so I had a few more variables in play such as were they in a hospital with an ICU, etc. I assume that's not relevant in the US. But nonetheless, I did make a list of criteria that mattered to me. For example, number of surgeries a day mattered to me. A very-well reputed surgeon in Dallas reportedly does 14-16 a day. My doctor did 3 a day. That mattered to me. Another surgeon here does a leak test when you're awake, mine did it under anesthesia. Mine had a reputation of working hard to reduce gas in your stomach. His patients said he was very available for complications. Others in Dallas didn't have that reputation. Mine does a lot of post-op education.

For us, piece was only one of the factors. We saved a little by going to Mexico but not THAT much. I chose the doc I felt best about, and he happened to be in Mexico.

My point is, there comes a point where a base-level competence is covered. After that, the smaller things start to matter. Make a list of the big or small things, and then maybe check them off?

And yes, after a while, let go of the logic and let your gut guide you.

My point is, there comes a point where a base-level competence is covered. After that, the smaller things start to matter. Make a list of the big or small things, and then maybe check them off?

And yes, after a while, let go of the logic and let your gut guide you.

I agree, still hope to find more solid information but it seems to be mostly gut feelings.

Money isn't a factor for my decision, or at least I am trying to not make it one. Not that I have it to burn, but I want to pick the best person for the job and saving $2,000 isn't worth a complication.

Thanks for your comments.

I am having surgery with Dr. Gregory Barnes. He has an office in Plano and one in Fort Worth. My husband had surgery with him in May 2012 and I really like him. The office staff is very friendly.

My PCP recommended Dr. Nicholson as he gives you choices of procedures, not just one or two. Since there is no insurance check him out as he has "all inclusive prices" for cash pay patients, as I guess they all do. I have met with him and he is very nice and all of the staff I have had dealings with as well are also very nice, courteous, and helpful.

A little update.

As a reminder; I am cash pay and out of state.

I was able to meet with 3 of my top 4 surgeon choices two weeks ago. I was very MUCH relieved to talk with the surgeons as the “salespeople” answering the phone were not real helpful when I was asking anything but general questions.

I met with Dr. Nick, Dr. Davidson, and Dr. Stowers. I was unable to meet Dr. Kim as he was completely booked out.

I will say that I feel all 3 of the Dr.’s I was able to talk to answered all of my questions I was very impressed with each of them.

Dr. Nick Nicholson – great guy, did not meet anyone in his office

Dr. Davidson – great guy, talked at length with Sherry and he is wonderful

Dr. Stowers – great guy, met with his entire team individually. Financial/insurance, dietician (NUT), physc, etc…

I have made my decision out of this group (all are very capable and I would be happy with any of them), BUT I am still wanting to speak/speak with Dr. Kim because of some of the financial offers he has going.

I plan on having the plan laid out and having surgery in the next 30 days or so.

If anyone has any experience with Dr. David Kim and Dr. Nick Nicholson specifically I would like to hear it.

Thanks for everyone’s input thus far. I look forward to the next update with my final selection and date!!!

A little update.

I was able to meet with 3 of my top 4 surgeon choices two weeks ago. I was very MUCH relieved to talk with the surgeons as the “salespeople” answering the phone were not real helpful when I was asking anything but general questions.

I met with Dr. Nick, Dr. Davidson, and Dr. Stowers. I was unable to meet Dr. Kim as he was completely booked out.

I will say that I feel all 3 of the Dr.’s I was able to talk to answered all of my questions I was very impressed with each of them.

Dr. Stowers – great guy, met with his entire team individually. Financial/insurance, dietician (NUT), physc, etc…

I have made my decision out of this group (all are very capable and I would be happy with any of them), BUT I am still wanting to speak/speak with Dr. Kim because of some of the financial offers he has going.

I plan on having the plan laid out and having surgery in the next 30 days or so.

If anyone has any experience with Dr. David Kim and Dr. Nick Nicholson specifically I would like to hear it.

Thanks for everyone’s input thus far. I look forward to the next update with my final selection and date!!!

Dr Nick did my surgery and I was very pleased with him and his staff! I would highly recommend them.

A little update.

I had my sleeve surgery with Dr. Nicholson in July, and I could not be more pleased. I would recommend him to anyone (and have!). He is very matter of fact, does not sugar coat anything, and tells you like it is. He is also very good at explaining what he is going to do, and why he is going to do it. I had my first consult with him last March, and could have scheduled surgery at that time but I was not ready as I still had a lot of questions even after meeting with him. We agreed to another meeting, at which time I asked all the questions I had. He answered every single one and put me at ease. The day of my surgery, he came in and talked with me about what was about to happen, and reassured me that everything would be okay (this was my first surgery, ever!) and told me what he would do to keep me safe.

I have since had my 6-month follow up and things have gone very well so far! :)

I am having my surgery with Dr Jay. He is awesome. He is extremely soft spoken and nice. I am guessing you went to Texas tech because of the ttu,as did I. He went to tech and got his engineering degree(mechanical i think.) and went back to get his MD. I am self-pay as well. My insurance will not cover bariatric surgery, so his billing team did some magic. I have a hiatal hernia and my insurance will pay for that. So he is just charging me the fee to remove my stomach. Hospital stay, drugs, etc are paid by insurance. I can not say enough good about him. My cousin had her sleeve done by him and he was so awesome she went to work at his facility as a OR nurse. He is at medical city/forest park med center. Look into him if you are still unsure.

dallasbariatric.com