Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month wait

Hi. I was jus wondering if there is a way to skip the 6 month wait before surgery

Why would you want to? They are the guidelines your insurance company put in place. You can definitely self pay but if you want insurance coverage you need to do everything you need to do per their guidelines. It's an opportunity to learn about the surgery, what's required, etc. It'll go by fast. Don't rush the process...embrace it and take it one step at a time or self pay.

I doubt it. I freaked out a little bit, too, and I am just beginning. My first nutritionist appointment was last week, so I have at the very least 5.5 months left to go. But I try to put it in perspective: 6 months ago was March, and that does not feel like it was that long ago. The next six months should go by just as fast! Hang in there and you will breeze through the next 6 months!

Embrace the 6 months. Since I started the process I have found out that I have quite a few health issues. I was clueless.

When I went for my overnight sleep test I was hoping I had a little sleep apnea so I would have another comorbidity to help me through with the insurance requirements. Boy was I shocked at my number 55 and diagnosis of SEVERE SLEEP APNEA. My blood tests came back with borderline diabetic. I now really understand the importance of this surgery. It is a life changer and I am now educated as to why I must have it.

You will learn a lot about yourself. The six months is in place for a reason. Even though I am at 5 month 19 days (Who is counting) I would do it again. Take advantage of all of the medical professional that you will encounter. Ask questions!

My insurance company requires a six month medically supervised diet. I was able to get a "waiver" not a skip of this process only because I currently have a lap band and it is causing problems that are bad enough that the insurnace company reviewed my claim and approved surgery early.

I had completed three of the six visits when the decision was made. You should use this time period to learn about food and what you will need to eat before and after. Start keeping a food diary and identifying times and emotions occurring when you ate something that wasn't the best choice. I find when you write things down, it is easier to see patterns. This allows you to come up with a plan for the next time you face this situation or a similar one.

This is also the perfect opportunity to begin buying some different Protein samples to see what you like as well as Vitamins. These products can be expensive if you have to buy it alll at the same time.

This as a journey make the most out of it. You will have times where the scale does not move when you want it to do so. Measure yourself prior to surgery, take pictures so you have benchmarks to measure against when the scale is not moving.

Don't rush the process and wish it were later. It will be here before you know it, and you will be glad you had time to prepare for it.

I got the six month diet supervision paper in the mail as well. In fine print it says I have 2yrs., so I have a dr appointment this week and I was trying to lose weight on my own last yr with dr supervision so I'm hoping the six months I did last year apply towards the six months they require.

I ha to be in a medically superviseed6 month program. I was irked at first. But it was we'll worth it. I lost 40 lbs Pre-op. and learned a great deal . I know I will be be a better patient

Because of it. BTWI am 14 days post -op.

I had to do the six months also. But I found I really needed the time. It took that long to get all the pre- op tests, the psych eval, the upper GI, a stress test and heart echo. Plus I needed to wrap up things at work so I could take a month of medical leave. And I had to arrange for care after surgery.

The six months also gave me the time to read everything i could get my hands on about VSG surgeries. If you like to read, here is a Good reads thread:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/85547-good-books-for-the-emotional-aspects-of-post-surgery/

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

What if you switch insurane and have been doing a diet for 6 months and your pcp or doctor can verify this? Does that count?

Is your insurance requiring it or is your medical group? Sometimes we don't realize it's the dr. not the insurance. If Dr., you could see someone else!