Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Scheduled in the a.m. for EGD w dilation possible. I'm praying that it works so that I can begin enjoying my sleeved life! Happy losing to u all, great numbers from EVERY1?!

So I went to the doctor and have crazy low blood pressure. He said he can't believe I haven't fainted more often. I'm given two weeks to try and boost my blood pressure and if I can't I have to go on meds (don't want to!) gross thing is, I have to eat more salt. Blegh!! I have never liked salt. It's hard to find things to put salt on that isn't unhealthy. Had some potato and added salt and added it to my fish. But truly don't like the taste (unless we are talking popcorn!!)

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! I'm making sure I get my Protein in and my Water as well. Doing more to ensure self care! :)

Glad the doc is on the case, Foster! Ummm... I like butter and salt on green Beans?

And Deez, hope they can get things working properly for you!

Hugs to all!

Hmm...there's often so much salt in things we don't even think of. I know drinks like Gatorade and Powerade have lots of salt in them. Bouillon has lots of salt. Canned vegetables (that don't say no salt added). I think deli meat has lots of salt in it. Pickles? I eat a Clausen pickle spear most days and I know there's a lot of salt in those. Hopefully things start to stablize for you without an added med!

So I went to the doctor and have crazy low blood pressure. He said he can't believe I haven't fainted more often. I'm given two weeks to try and boost my blood pressure and if I can't I have to go on meds (don't want to!) gross thing is, I have to eat more salt. Blegh!! I have never liked salt. It's hard to find things to put salt on that isn't unhealthy. Had some potato and added salt and added it to my fish. But truly don't like the taste (unless we are talking popcorn!!)
Thanks everyone for your well wishes! I'm making sure I get my Protein in and my Water as well. Doing more to ensure self care! :)

Doing great!

HW - 280

SW after 2 week pre-op - 262

CW - 217

5 ft 8 - 44 years old

Surgery with Ariel Ortiz in TJ

Eating is fine, although I'm fighting head hunger and carb cravings somewhat. I think that's because we are at review time at work, sorta makes me anxious. I'm still drinking a premier shake every day and have no problem with that, not tired of them. Intake is probaby 500-600 calories per day. I'm taking Zumba classes 2-3 days a week. I'm adding a strength balance core class 1X per week starting today because I lost SO much muscle along with the weight. Love the Zumba, adore it! I was a size 24, now 16W or 18 regular. I'm in a weird place size wise. Still in plus size and regular women's are just a tad too tight. I think I might be in this size awhile as my loss seems to be slower now.

I forgot to mention, surgery date on 12/16/13!

All:

I need your help and feedback.

Has anyone else become obsessed with tracking their food? I track everything I eat, I think about food all the time. I feel a little obsessed. My goals are 60-90 grams of Protein a day, no more than 60 grams of carbs a day, and no more than 1000 calories. I am often hungry in the 3 hours between small meals, but I don't eat extra.

I was starting to calm down, but when I went to my 3 mo. visit my surgeon kinda corrected me for eating things like a 1/2 a banana or a 1/2 apple, or 1/2 an English muffin, or popcorn (all of which fit into eating no more than 60 grams of carbs a day). He mentioned the word Paleo - which is definitely not the diet on the booklet they give out. I went away from that check-in pretty depressed. Especially when the Dr. said I would be eating like this for the rest of my life.

Now, I knew that I would not be going back to my bad habits of eating cake and Cookies (and I don't cheat now), but somehow the idea of having to track everything and worry about eating a banana was not what I pictured in my future.

I work out 3 times a week (40 mins. swimming laps, or 35 mins. on the treadmill at 3.8 speed, or 35 mins. on elliptical).

I also do the bad thing of weighing myself everyday. Most weeks I see a drop of about 2 lbs. This week I went down, then up and am now going back down. Constipation has been an issue.

I am a little worried that I'm too fixated on this, but I can't stop thinking about my food and weight loss. I guess I feel that I have made this major change in my life and I want it to work consistently, really want to be back to what I consider "normal" life.

How many calories are you all eating per day? Are you hungry (actual stomach growling) between meals? Is anyone else sorta fixated on this? I feel like I'm waiting for my life to start again and feeling a little depressed.

Thanks for your feedback.

Seriously? You got scolded? Look at your progress, look at how far you've come! Yes, we need to re-build habits for life, but I say you deserve a tight hug and pat on the back my friend! I think it is great that you are tracking your food - I stopped tracking for a couple of weeks and I started cheating - not good. I do think that tracking helps keep you focused, it might be one of those good obsessions to have.

Now, should you be obsessing about 1/2 a banana? I don't think so. Let's face it, we did get to where we are because we ate too many bananas! My doctor tells me to stay away from foods that trigger my bad habits. I don't ever feel guilty about too many veggies or even fruit. I believe in eating 'close to earth' and I don't think the extra calories from strawberries will get me in trouble. I much rather eat a banana than some processed low fat yogurt, but that's the organic me.

I can tell you for sure that you are doing better than I have in the past two weeks. I have gotten lazy about exercising and have gone off track with my diet. I am tightening the belt again, because 2lbs should never turn to 20lbs extra - ever again.

To answer your question, my MD told me to eat about 1,000 calories per day. Eat your Protein first, then veggies, then carbs, if there is room. And yes, I do have popcorn every now and then. Especially if it will keep me from snacking on something bad. I do stay away from bread (incl. English muffins) only because they trigger my carb craving.

Stay the course, I think you are doing great!

All:

Has anyone else become obsessed with tracking their food? I track everything I eat, I think about food all the time. I feel a little obsessed. My goals are 60-90 grams of protein a day, no more than 60 grams of carbs a day, and no more than 1000 calories. I am often hungry in the 3 hours between small meals, but I don't eat extra.

I was starting to calm down, but when I went to my 3 mo. visit my surgeon kinda corrected me for eating things like a 1/2 a banana or a 1/2 apple, or 1/2 an English muffin, or popcorn (all of which fit into eating no more than 60 grams of carbs a day). He mentioned the word Paleo - which is definitely not the diet on the booklet they give out. I went away from that check-in pretty depressed. Especially when the Dr. said I would be eating like this for the rest of my life.

Now, I knew that I would not be going back to my bad habits of eating cake and Cookies (and I don't cheat now), but somehow the idea of having to track everything and worry about eating a banana was not what I pictured in my future.

I work out 3 times a week (40 mins. swimming laps, or 35 mins. on the treadmill at 3.8 speed, or 35 mins. on elliptical).

I also do the bad thing of weighing myself everyday. Most weeks I see a drop of about 2 lbs. This week I went down, then up and am now going back down. Constipation has been an issue.

I am a little worried that I'm too fixated on this, but I can't stop thinking about my food and weight loss. I guess I feel that I have made this major change in my life and I want it to work consistently, really want to be back to what I consider "normal" life.

How many calories are you all eating per day? Are you hungry (actual stomach growling) between meals? Is anyone else sorta fixated on this? I feel like I'm waiting for my life to start again and feeling a little depressed.

Doing great!

HW - 280

SW after 2 week pre-op - 262

CW - 217

5 ft 8 - 44 years old

Surgery with Ariel Ortiz in TJ

Eating is fine, although I'm fighting head hunger and carb cravings somewhat. I think that's because we are at review time at work, sorta makes me anxious. I'm still drinking a premier shake every day and have no problem with that, not tired of them. Intake is probaby 500-600 calories per day. I'm taking Zumba classes 2-3 days a week. I'm adding a strength balance core class 1X per week starting today because I lost SO much muscle along with the weight. Love the Zumba, adore it! I was a size 24, now 16W or 18 regular. I'm in a weird place size wise. Still in plus size and regular women's are just a tad too tight. I think I might be in this size awhile as my loss seems to be slower now.

Congrats! You are such a better exerciser than me. I was on the treadmill at home for the first month, but then when I got sick with a Clostridial infection. I was afraid to do ANYTHING that might make me break a sweat because I was pretty much dehydrated for 5 weeks ( had to get IV fluids 3 times). Now that I 'm feeling better I'm back on my recumbent bike but only 3-5 miles/day. Really, I just hate exercise, but I can definitely tell the muscle loss.

As for size, I'm exactly where you are....18 is a little baggy, but 16 isn't quite right yet. Having to wear long underwear for work everyday definitely affects what's comfy, though.

So glad you are doing well! Yeah to OCC alumni!

I, myself, am in the low-carb boat. Some people say, "I got surgery so I wouldn't have to diet." And others say, "I want to eat whatever, just smaller portions of it." However, for myself, even "healthy" carbs slow down my weight loss.

Bananas are the carbiest fruit. I eat some fruit. I eat a tiny clementine or a few grapes, but only one serving each day. If I stick to meat, I can eat about 3.5 ounces, and I will not get hungry until 3 or 4 hours later. I think adding in carbs/vegetables makes the food not last as long and then you get hungry.

In my fridge, I have Premier Protein shakes, reduced fat hard salami which I spread cream cheese on and roll up, and Boar's Head black forest ham. For my 2 Snacks, I'll have a small piece of fruit as mentioned above or a Clausen pickle spear or a SF pudding cup. That's about it.

I also cook for my family. If I make hamburgers, meatloaf, roast beef or chicken, I will have the meat and none of the sides. If I make something with noodles, I'll eat "my food" instead.

When I added in "healthy" carbs such as cooked dry Beans (chili with meat and beans, lentil Soup with sausage, etc) loss slowed dramatically. Maybe you are one of those people very sensitive to carbs.

I don't consider my "low carb" way of eating as a dirty 4 letter word "diet". I just know it works and I want this weight off.

I don't obsess over it. My NUT said carbs above 30, and I do that. I eat the same things everyday so I don't log as much on MFP. However, I do weigh my meat on a food scale to make sure i'm getting between 3.5 and 4 ounces.

You may just need to focus on cutting the carbs and focusing on meat. I don't even have room for anything else if I eat my 3.5 ounces of meat and I'd rather fill my sleeve with the meat and not 'save room' for a veg that isn't going to add much to calories or Protein.< /p>

I hope you find some balance and find what works for you!

All:

Has anyone else become obsessed with tracking their food? I track everything I eat, I think about food all the time. I feel a little obsessed. My goals are 60-90 grams of Protein a day, no more than 60 grams of carbs a day, and no more than 1000 calories. I am often hungry in the 3 hours between small meals, but I don't eat extra.

My post op "plan" has been pretty much opposite of yours. Despite reading all the "requirements" of successful sleevers to track my calories, track my carbs, track my protein, plan my meals, use fit bit, Use MFP, weigh everyday, etc. I chose to not do any of those things. Sounded too much like being on a diet to me. And I refuse to be on a diet the rest of my life. I did track my fluids and protein for the first month, because that was such a critical healing period and drinking enough was so hard. But once I could eat Regular food and drink pretty well, I have just been winging it.

I don't own a food scale, I don't use measuring cups, I don't plan my meals, and I don't have an app for tracking anything. I eat whatever I'm in the mood for following the rule protein first, then veggies, then carbs. I also don't go out of my way to go "low fat". Our body needs a certain amount of good fats for healthy cell function and Vitamin absorption. With that being said, I pretty much get stuffed on protein and a small amount of veggies and have yet to really even eat carbs. (Had a couple bites of rice noodles once and had 1 bite each of cheesecake and tiramisu at a party 2 weeks ago). I actually don't think I'm getting enough veggies, so I do try to drink a glass of V8 everyday. And I do take all my Vitamins.< /p>

I weigh myself once/week and I was on a stall for a month when I only lost 2 pounds. But I didn't fret over it because I know stalls are a normal thing. Even with the stall I've lost almost 60 pounds since Dec. 4. I'm thrilled with my sleeve and I'm living my life without being obsessed with food or feeling like I'm on a diet. I guess only time will tell if "my way" works for long term success.

I also don't have followup visits with a doctor or nutritionist, so I don't have anyone telling me I'm doing it "wrong". As for bananas, I blend one up with a chocolate Premier Protein and milk for a huge 32 oz Protein Drink at least 3 times/week.

Maybe you should take step back from your regimen for a week or two. No tracking, no weighing, no counting. Just eat what you want following the golden rule of protein and veggies. Try to limit carbs as they will not fill you up and they just make you want more carbs. See how that feels for you.

Hello cabstewart

First, congratulations on what you have achieved. It is no small step to get where you are.

Since you asked, let me share what works for me. Our current daily goals are similar. 1000 calories, 80-100 grams Protein and less than 60 carbs a day. I do cardio exercise 30-60 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I eat three meals a day with two Snacks, never going more than 3-4 hours without eating. My only comment after reading your post is that one of the keys for me is to maintain a feeling of satiety for as long as possible. That way I am not tempted with typical snack foods. I try to do this by focusing on dense Proteins, vegetables then fruit at meals. Then protein as part of a snack during the day. This way I have a constant feeling of fullness.

I will be honest, I have not eaten popcorn, Pasta, potatoes, rice, and bread by choice. For me it is part of the low carb approach that works for me. Except for the fruit I add to a Breakfast Protein Shake, I do not have room to eat them at meals. 3-4 ounces of protein and a few vegetables completely fills me up. My snacks are usually Greek yogurt, beef Jerky, Quest bars, an occasional PB with apple slices, nuts or string cheese.< /p>

I do not feel deprived of any foods because I eat what I want, albeit on a schedule I have established for myself.

Continued good luck to you on this journey.

All:

My post op "plan" has been pretty much opposite of yours. Despite reading all the "requirements" of successful sleevers to track my calories, track my carbs, track my protein, plan my meals, use fit bit, Use MFP, weigh everyday, etc. I chose to not do any of those things. Sounded too much like being on a diet to me. And I refuse to be on a diet the rest of my life. I did track my fluids and protein for the first month, because that was such a critical healing period and drinking enough was so hard. But once I could eat Regular food and drink pretty well, I have just been winging it.

I don't own a food scale, I don't use measuring cups, I don't plan my meals, and I don't have an app for tracking anything. I eat whatever I'm in the mood for following the rule protein first, then veggies, then carbs. I also don't go out of my way to go "low fat". Our body needs a certain amount of good fats for healthy cell function and Vitamin absorption. With that being said, I pretty much get stuffed on protein and a small amount of veggies and have yet to really even eat carbs. (Had a couple bites of rice noodles once and had 1 bite each of cheesecake and tiramisu at a party 2 weeks ago). I actually don't think I'm getting enough veggies, so I do try to drink a glass of V8 everyday. And I do take all my Vitamins.< /p>

I weigh myself once/week and I was on a stall for a month when I only lost 2 pounds. But I didn't fret over it because I know stalls are a normal thing. Even with the stall I've lost almost 60 pounds since Dec. 4. I'm thrilled with my sleeve and I'm living my life without being obsessed with food or feeling like I'm on a diet. I guess only time will tell if "my way" works for long term success.

I also don't have followup visits with a doctor or nutritionist, so I don't have anyone telling me I'm doing it "wrong". As for bananas, I blend one up with a chocolate Premier Protein and milk for a huge 32 oz protein drink at least 3 times/week.

Maybe you should take step back from your regimen for a week or two. No tracking, no weighing, no counting. Just eat what you want following the golden rule of protein and veggies. Try to limit carbs as they will not fill you up and they just make you want more carbs. See how that feels for you.

I agree. I eat whatever I want to eat and I have been doing just fine. Losing 2-3 pounds a week. I just started working out this week and have lost a little more than usual but I don't count or track or anything. Yesterday for lunch I had a single serve bag of popcorn. That's it. For dinner I had half a steak and half a small baked potato and then I had two chocolate chip cookies. Yes I had two chocolate chips cookies. I eat whatever just not all day and too much like I did before. If I don't treat myself then it won't work for me. I have always gotten freaked out when I thought about being on a diet and that there were things I "can't" eat and I didn't want this to be like that either. My stomach can't hold more than half a cup so I never eat more than that but I eat a half cup if whatever I want. I have lost 43 pounds in all this and was sleeved on dec. 30 so I'm happy knowing I don't obsess over anything and continue to lose the way I should. Hope this helps.

I completely agree Pink!!! I eat whatever. Three kids and a husband to cook for, in school full time and all the extras make me very busy. I always have Protein Bars with me if there are no reasonable options but for the most part I eat what I want in small doses. I'm not a huge sweets fan since the surgery but I eat cheese and crackers ( multigrain) and I'll eat at friends' and families homes as well. Life is too short to count calories! If I'm hungry, I eat. So far I've lost 80 lbs and in 6 more lbs I'll be in the overweight category!!! (Not obese!!) I'm a size 12 and feel GREAT!!!

Try to relax a little bit and try different things. The surgery is a life changing thing for sure but it doesn't mean you have to be a prisoner to it.

Good luck!! :)