Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

started working out again and the scale and I dont agree

Im going crazy witg my scale lately. I got to 201...so close to onederland! My surgeon wants to see me under 200 before the 21st but because of starting the gym again (had to break for gallbladder surgery recovery) the scale moved back to 202/203 and is just hanging out again. What kind of work outs help with fat burning post sleeve?

I have the solution to the evil scale problems most people have.

Don't use it

Yup, it is that simple, yet oh, so difficult to do.

At about 4 weeks post-op, there was a post from someone who was complaining that their scale said they were 0.3 pounds heavier in the afternoon vs. that morning. In all caps they wrote: "I knew I would fail at this!!"

I was just like, Woa! That could so easily be me. Obsessing over every single pound and agonizing over what I was doing wrong. I decided to weigh once a month after that. Releasing that stress, I believe, helped me stay focused on my program and away from self-defeating thinking and sabotaging behaviors as I was prone to on other diets.

Wait to weigh yourself at the Dr appointment. You may be surprised at how well you do. And what is the risk? Do you really think you will do worse if you don't weigh yourself constantly?

"KayC".....if you are taking in the right nutrition/protein and not going over on your calories......I assure you it's not fat gain. Our bodies adjust and then readjust to the adjusting. :P Stay the course if you want better body composition (muscle vs fat). However, this doesn't always translate to lower numbers on the scale since exercising will often signal your muscles to take in and hold on to more Water and lifting will often result in muscle gain. The scales, BMI charts and many surgeons are often short sighted. Hang in there and good luck!

I decided to weigh in once every two weeks... But don't obsess over it. I was 298 in June by the time I started my two week per op diet I was 285 then on the day of surgery I was 264 today at 2 months out I'm at 240. Which I feel ecstatic about.. But in inches I've gone from a tight 26 to a perfect fitting 20 in 2 months....I guess I see my success through my clothing more so than the numbers.. The weight will come off. I track my food to see calories fat sugars carbs and Protein and do my daily things.. Every time I look at the scale it does go down even if its not much.. I just figure it didn't take two months to gain all this weight so it's not gonna take two months to lose it all! I have myself 12 months to get to a goal I feel comfortable at.. I didn't put a real number or size on it.. I just figured when I get there I'd know!

Did you take your measurements pre-op? Sometimes you won't see the scale move, but you'll see a difference in your clothes, so you're losing inches. Just a thought.

Any pre-sleevers out there that read this - I have read many many posts about the scale not moving but their clothes fit better. Many wish they had taken their measurements prior to surgery so they can monitor that as well as the scale.

I decided to weigh in once every two weeks... But don't obsess over it. I was 298 in June by the time I started my two week per op diet I was 285 then on the day of surgery I was 264 today at 2 months out I'm at 240. Which I feel ecstatic about.. But in inches I've gone from a tight 26 to a perfect fitting 20 in 2 months....I guess I see my success through my clothing more so than the numbers.. The weight will come off. I track my food to see calories fat sugars carbs and Protein and do my daily things.. Every time I look at the scale it does go down even if its not much.. I just figure it didn't take two months to gain all this weight so it's not gonna take two months to lose it all! I have myself 12 months to get to a goal I feel comfortable at.. I didn't put a real number or size on it.. I just figured when I get there I'd know!

Well said "Italian-girl"!!

I have the solution to the evil scale problems most people have. Don't use it Yup' date=' it is that simple, yet oh, so difficult to do. At about 4 weeks post-op, there was a post from someone who was complaining that their scale said they were 0.3 pounds heavier in the afternoon vs. that morning. In all caps they wrote: "I knew I would fail at this!!" I was just like, Woa! That could so easily be me. Obsessing over every single pound and agonizing over what I was doing wrong. I decided to weigh once a month after that. Releasing that stress, I believe, helped me stay focused on my program and away from self-defeating thinking and sabotaging behaviors as I was prone to on other diets. Wait to weigh yourself at the Dr appointment. You may be surprised at how well you do. And what is the risk? Do you really think you will do worse if you don't weigh yourself constantly?[/quote']

My husband keeps telling my not to weigh myself. You r so right. In in the pre op stage and need to lose 5% before surgery. I'm killing myself over this as well! Good luck!!!

Thanks for all the feedback :) my clothes definitely fit better so i know ive lost inches, especially on my thighs, hips and waist. And I've reached every goal ive wanted to, whether it was the drs goal or mine. Im morr afraid of another stall right now, especially because I just started working out again.i do moatly muscle training so I may just cut back on that a little for now and add more cardio

My sweet boyfriend hid the scale and only brings it out on Sundays.....otherwise I'd step on it 3x daily....when we work out there's 2 things that can happen, burn more calories than your taking in or your gaining muscle....bottom line is if you are following your NUT plan then you should be fine and will be a healthier you in no time