Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week since surgery..

So I had my surgery last Thursday. For the first few days I actually felt AMAZING. Then, after a few days, I just crashed. My stomach was hurting, my chest was killing me, and if I even tried to stand up, I felt like I was going to be sick. I had to have the surgeon's assistant call in something for nausea and had to stop my prescription pain medicine and start liquid Tylenol because I couldn't eat anything so the medicine was making the nausea worse. I haven't slept well and have been pretty miserable. But by some miracle, I woke up this morning and felt pretty good. To be honest, I was getting scared I would never get back to feeling myself. I was suppose to go back to work yesterday, but I ended up having to take the rest of the week off. Can anyone tell me if you really start feeling like your normal self after a while? Today is the first day I actually ate something. It was wonderful. Sorry to write so much but I've had so many emotions going on inside me this past week I thought I was going to go crazy!

about 8 days post op, things started seemingly heading back to normal world for me...

just hang in there...glad you called the dr and they gave you those meds..i have the in my purse, home and work, just in case....keep sipping and sip some more..it may not seem like it now, but in 6 months, you will be telling people what i just told you :)

animated_flower.gif

about 8 days post op' date=' things started seemingly heading back to normal world for me... just hang in there...glad you called the dr and they gave you those meds..i have the in my purse, home and work, just in case....keep sipping and sip some more..it may not seem like it now, but in 6 months, you will be telling people what i just told you :) [/quote']

I'm so glad to know there's an end to this misery! For the first 3-4 days all I could stomach was Water. It's nice to actually eat now! Thank you so much :)

9 days post-op I went shopping with my mother who came for a visit. Outlet mall shopping, I was ok for about an hour then I went to lay down in the car. But that was the best I'd felt. Before that I didn't leave the house except for walks to the end of the driveway and to get the mail. So day 9 was a turning point for me.

Some people bounce back quickly while others take some time. It was also my first cutting into my abdominal wall surgery for me. So I think my body was pretty darn shocked by the whole experience.

9 days post-op I went shopping with my mother who came for a visit. Outlet mall shopping' date=' I was ok for about an hour then I went to lay down in the car. But that was the best I'd felt. Before that I didn't leave the house except for walks to the end of the driveway and to get the mail. So day 9 was a turning point for me. Some people bounce back quickly while others take some time. It was also my first cutting into my abdominal wall surgery for me. So I think my body was pretty darn shocked by the whole experience.[/quote']

This is my first abdominal surgery, too. I don't think I'm brave enough to even take a car ride yet. But it makes sense that my body could be having a harder time since this is a first surgery for me. Are you back to feeling normal now?

I had my surgery last Wednesday so it is one week for me too and I am certainly not back to being my old self! The recovery has taken a lot longer than I thought. I have been on a liquid diet and pretty much eating Soup, Jell-O of course all sugarfree and Water ice chips, ice chips are the best . What I'm experiencing this last couple days is a real metallic taste in my mouth. People say that it might be because I'm in ketosis but it sure does give me a really bad taste - nauseating!

I go for my post-op Friday and move to mushiness... I'm bummed because I really am far more hungry than I expected - plus things go right down thru my band easily - guess I'll need a fill sooner than later.

The pain in my shoulder is still sharp, especially when I take in a very deep breath feel like I have not gotten my breath back yet from surgery.

Any recommendations to get this metallic taste out of my mouth are welcome please help!!

Hi there, glad you are feeling better! It's good for those of us pre-band to hear what recovery is like for different individuals. Prescription pain medication can take its own toll on the body, that's for sure. I feel a little nervous about next week but I have cleared the deck in case I need the recovery time. And the script filled in case I need that, too. Now to get through the next five days -- anticipation!

Hi there' date=' glad you are feeling better! It's good for those of us pre-band to hear what recovery is like for different individuals. Prescription pain medication can take its own toll on the body, that's for sure. I feel a little nervous about next week but I have cleared the deck in case I need the recovery time. And the script filled in case I need that, too. Now to get through the next five days -- anticipation![/quote']

I definitely wanted to share my experience because I was given the impression that recovery was a breeze, and that it definitely was not so I want people to know what they could possible expect. I hope your surgery goes well! Please keep us updated! :)

Hi, I too, had my surgery last Wednesday. The worst was the gas pains in my shoulders, the right one subsided a couple of days ago, and today is the first day that I haven`t felt anything. I have not really had much pain from my stomach, just a slight "tugging" sensation. I drove into town on Sunday, but shopping just tired me out, and I had to have a good rest the next day, but on Tuesday I was fine again, and went back to complete my shopping! I have been following my diet sheet to a T - and in a week I have now lost 6lbs :) I look at my meals and think "how will that fill me up!?" but eating slowly and small spoonfuls, I surprised myself at how full I did feel, and sometimes didn`t even want the mid-meal Snacks I`m allowed. I hope that this keeps up, as reading some stories on here can be quite scary, and hopefully my experience will show some pre-ops that it`s not all that bad, and that everyone has different experiences...Also I was not scared of going to sleep, and even walked to the theatre.

I had my surgery last Friday. I felt ok on Saturday then Sunday it hit me hard. I don't have the constant pain in my shoulder but every once in a while I'll get that shooting pain. My stomach is so bruised from the surgery and I feel so bloated but I know it's just temporary. I've been on the liquid diet since my surgery and can start eating mushy food Friday. I'm excited and scared at the same time. :)

it took me several weeks for me to feel recovered after surgery

it took me several weeks for me to feel recovered after surgery

Well at least I can say I'm down one week. The major thing is feeling so nauseous. I'll be feeling fine and then it just hits me! :(

I had my surgery last Friday. I felt ok on Saturday then Sunday it hit me hard. I don't have the constant pain in my shoulder but every once in a while I'll get that shooting pain. My stomach is so bruised from the surgery and I feel so bloated but I know it's just temporary. I've been on the liquid diet since my surgery and can start eating mushy food Friday. I'm excited and scared at the same time. :)

Oh I bet it'll be nice to eat something other than liquid!! Surprisingly my stomach really didn't bruise at all. My incisions are almost completely healed already, which is nice. Enjoy some mushy food for me! Lol. :)

I had my post-op Friday and he said that with the Hernia Repair that the nerves shoot up into my neck and shoulder and they will probably cause sharp pains, could be for as long as 6 weeks. I was sure that it was gas but he believes it's nerves more so than the gas. If I do too much the pain in my neck and shoulder really hurt. He did give me the best liquid pain medicine and it takes the edge off almost immediately - the only thing is I go to sleep.

Over the last week I have ranged from STARVING to not being hungry at all... Doc said that liquids will not fill me up - they run right thru the band regardless of Protein or Water. That's why it's important to start with soft Proteins, I've had tuna, salmon, cottage cheese and yogurt, A SF Jello or SF pudding usually helps get me in between. I also had a little taco meat and guacamole (1/4 cup) last night, it was more than enough and I didn't feel hungry the rest of the day.

My incision is a bit infected so I'm now on an antibiotic - 3 days in and it's a little better. I believe two weeks from now I'll be back to myself only less hungry and staying diligent to the diet.

I will say that the major thought that has come into my head the most is - gosh could I only be strong enough to eat like this without putting my body thru all of this trauma! This is not for the faint hearted, that's for sure.

Most proud, is I have three kids with HUGE buckets of Halloween candy in which every other year I've eaten probably half, especially anything chocolate - this year - not a piece :) LOL

I get my first fill Dec. 2nd, until then I'm staying the course and eating only what is on the post-op diet list.

Be well all!!!

I had my surgery last Wednesday so it is one week for me too and I am certainly not back to being my old self! The recovery has taken a lot longer than I thought. I have been on a liquid diet and pretty much eating soup' date=' Jell-O of course all sugarfree and Water ice chips, ice chips are the best . What I'm experiencing this last couple days is a real metallic taste in my mouth. People say that it might be because I'm in ketosis but it sure does give me a really bad taste - nauseating! I go for my post-op Friday and move to mushiness... I'm bummed because I really am far more hungry than I expected - plus things go right down thru my band easily - guess I'll need a fill sooner than later. The pain in my shoulder is still sharp, especially when I take in a very deep breath feel like I have not gotten my breath back yet from surgery. Any recommendations to get this metallic taste out of my mouth are welcome please help!![/quote'] Hi CCJILL, I am post op 11 days. I'm not having sharp gas pains anymore or pain whenever I take a breath. I am on a liquid diet and I feel like crying. I am so hungry that today I think when I looked at my little dog I saw a pork chop instead! I don't have a metallic taste. I am scheduled for my first post op visit on Nov 8th and I'm praying he moves me on to mushy foods. I'm losing it over here. Last week I was fine, it's just the past few days that have been difficult. All I want is just a little taste of food. I'm no longer NervousNancy but StarvingStella. Oh yes I almost forgot to add that I also had a hiatal hernia repair along with the lap band surgery. And that's been find so far.