Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Curious as to Why....

I'm Curious...I have been reading many posts lately from people stating how much weight they have been loosing prior to having their surgery.....how succesful and proud of themselves they are...

One person reported how much weight they have lost, how much they love to go to the gym, and stated that food has no control over them.....they are in control!!!

Another poster was bragging...and rightfully so, how they have lost over 70 lbs so far, prior to getting their surgery date...and there have been many others.

I'm curious, if people are that successful and motivated, why go through something as drastic as surgery???

For me, it was a last resort, I could not loose weight on my own or take control over my eating. I even screwed up and failed at my required 6 month Dr. supervised diet...I think if I had lost 70 lbs on my pre-op diet, my Insurance co. would have said...... "See? You CAN do it...you don't need surgery..."

So WLS was not a reward for me for doing do well, it was a last resort because I was such a failure....a glutton and food slob....with one foot in the grave. I had no other alternative. Believe me, if I didn't need it I would not put up with something wrapped around my stomach, connected to something that sticks out like a large tumor on my belly....and the scars...and the fears of complications in the future.....no sir...it was not something I liked doing, and would not have if I had any choice....but I had no alternative.

I wonder, if people do so well without surgery, what are they hoping to achieve with surgery??? What would their expectations be? What are the hoping for in addition to what they are already achieving on their own ??

I wish I never had to resort to surgery...I wish I had the motivation and self control to do it on my own, sadly I did not...

But yet, every day there are posts with people stating how great they are doing pre-op....

In the back of my mind I'm thinking that one's success is determined by how much in a need you are for solution? How desperate you are? Literally Life or Death? Enough to fully commit through the good and bad to get it at all costs? Literally (for me) it was Do or Die ???

May be nothing...just something on my mind...all I do know is, I would not have gone through all this if I did not need it....and if I did not need it, how committed would I have been to sacrifice and succed? And if I did not show some level of commitment and need, would my PCP even refer me in the first place? Would I have passed the Physc. Eval? Would my Surgeon agree to do the procedure and take me on as a patient????

So when I read posts about people loosing 70lbs + without surgery, and stating they have complete control over food, I have to ask myself WHY??? Why are you here??? Why alter you digestive system with surgery???

It's 4:30 am and I just ranting along with my morning coffee before I go to the gym when they open at 5....

I think most of us are capable to lose weight. Were all professional dieters. The problem is we do it over and over and over again only to gain all the weight back plus some. The band is a tool that helps keep it off. At least that's what I have read the most being a new bandster and all. I'm hoping this is the last time I'll ever see these numbers!

I'm Curious...I have been reading many posts lately from people stating how much weight they have been loosing prior to having their surgery.....how succesful and proud of themselves they are... One person reported how much weight they have lost' date=' how much they love to go to the gym, and stated that food has no control over them.....they are in control!!! Another poster was bragging...and rightfully so, how they have lost over 70 lbs so far, prior to getting their surgery date...and there have been many others. I'm curious, if people are that successful and motivated, why go through something as drastic as surgery??? For me, it was a last resort, I could not loose weight on my own or take control over my eating. I even screwed up and failed at my required 6 month Dr. supervised diet...I think if I had lost 70 lbs on my pre-op diet, my Insurance co. would have said...... "See? You CAN do it...you don't need surgery..." So WLS was not a reward for me for doing do well, it was a last resort because I was such a failure....a glutton and food slob....with one foot in the grave. I had no other alternative. Believe me, if I didn't need it I would not put up with something wrapped around my stomach, connected to something that sticks out like a large tumor on my belly....and the scars...and the fears of complications in the future.....no sir...it was not something I liked doing, and would not have if I had any choice....but I had no alternative. ... I wonder, if people do so well without surgery, what are they hoping to achieve with surgery??? What would their expectations be? What are the hoping for in addition to what they are already achieving on their own ?? I wish I never had to resort to surgery...I wish I had the motivation and self control to do it on my own, sadly I did not... But yet, every day there are posts with people stating how great they are doing pre-op.... In the back of my mind I'm thinking that one's success is determined by how much in a need you are for solution? How desperate you are? Literally Life or Death? Enough to fully commit through the good and bad to get it at all costs? Literally (for me) it was Do or Die ??? May be nothing...just something on my mind...all I do know is, I would not have gone through all this if I did not need it....and if I did not need it, how committed would I have been to sacrifice and succed? And if I did not show some level of commitment and need, would my PCP even refer me in the first place? Would I have passed the Physc. Eval? Would my Surgeon agree to do the procedure and take me on as a patient???? So when I read posts about people loosing 70lbs + without surgery, and stating they have complete control over food, I have to ask myself WHY??? Why are you here??? Why alter you digestive system with surgery??? It's 4:30 am and I just ranting along with my morning coffee before I go to the gym when they open at 5....[/quote']

You bring up many thoughts and feelings I had when going through my pre-diet. Insurance companies must believe the pre-diet stage is a conditioning phase for banders. And it's a pain for us because when you're ready to start a new journey, you want to do it now. Not in six months.

But what I can say, when I dieted, I did it wrong. I starved myself, deprived myself Protein which is essential. It's been an interesting learning experience. Also, now my family for the most are eating better too. We hardly eat carbs now and for the most part eat gluten free if and when we do.

In the back of my mind I'm thinking that one's success is determined by how much in a need you are for solution? How desperate you are? Literally Life or Death? Enough to fully commit through the good and bad to get it at all costs?

this was me...i allowed myself to get to a point where i had serious trouble walking...any distance....not even the wake up call of pants being size 30 could make me go dayyyum, you need to lose weight......besides being told i was going to be a grandmother, me having trouble wiping my butt helped me decide that i needed surgery intervention.....it was either do something about it, no excuses/no drama or get bigger or get cut of my house one day....i made my decision and never regret it.....food does not control me.....i control the food, the type, and watch my allotment and let the band do the rest...

I think most of us are capable to lose weight. Were all professional dieters. The problem is we do it over and over and over again only to gain all the weight back plus some. The band is a tool that helps keep it off. At least that's what I have read the most being a new bandster and all. I'm hoping this is the last time I'll ever see these numbers!

You hit the nail on the head...at least for me. In 2003 at 393lbs I embarked on the low carb Atkins journey and I managed to drop 174lbs in 19 months. I was 219lbs and on top of the world and I felt so good I let my guard down and I gained it all back plus another 90. I am not going to get into the whole low carb debate but in short while I was determined and I have great will power it was not a way of life for me long term.

That being said when I started this journey I was asked by my weight center to lose 24lbs preop. I managed to lose 38 and they were over the moon happy about it. My feeling was big deal...

Again, no problem you want me to lose weight I can lose it. Again, not a lifestyle change but merely a diet. I have some pretty excellent will power when it comes to losing weight but long term it is always challenging.

I have posted several times throughout this site that I have a fear of hitting goals because what if I slip back into bad habits like I did before? This is a lifestyle change so in theory that shouldn't happen but when the state of mind plays such a factor it is not easy but it is easy to be concerned. I think back about the Atkins days and compare it with now and I can tell you I have much more control with a lot less effort. I was depriving myself all those years ago and now my band helps me control portions and cravings.

Sorry for rambling. I could write a whole blog on this stuff if the blogs were working :P

I am on day three of my pre-op diet. It would be nice to get a little chunk off prior to the surgery because I'd like that head start. I am able to be successful on a short-term plan -- even for a few months. I've gotten twenty or thirty off over and over again but I always gain it back because I can't sustain the ultra-strict dieting it took to get me there. That's why I want the band. I need something to help control my appetite. Maybe you were not a Yo Yo dieter so you have a different perspective. We are all different.

I am not on death's door with obesity. I am fairly tall and can get away with being this fat even though you would probably think I'm not heavy enough to go through something this drastic. I have had the discomfort of overweight for twenty years and my health is suffering. Should I wait until I am even worse off? Let's not judge each other for not being fat enough. There are a lot of people here considering whether or not to do surgery or recovering from being banded. Who gets to decide what is right for them? They do, along with their doctor.

I think for some people , the drastic weight loss prior to surgery is the "pre reward" before the lap band. The mind set is in order for me to get the surgery to control my bad eating habits I have to lose a little weight. A 2 week liquid diet is the helper. Trust and believe I am soooo not looking forward to that liquid phase. I know I will drop some weight and I will be happy and I'll probably ask myself "do you think you could have done this on your own?" I already know the answer......NO! I wouldn't be here if I could.

I'm like Bandista. I'm tall and can camouflage my weight. I too am suffering from obesity ills. We all know what yo-yo dieting can do to the heart. I don't want to die early from being fat, or yo-yo dieting adding extra stress to my heart.

Oh and extra plus....I spent 12 years in the Army 1 yr as a Drill Sgt. So what's MY excuse? Child bearing, civilian life and desk jobs have made me a little lazy and depressed with the weight I've gained. We all have our ills.

Much Love Starfish

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

You hit the nail on the head...at least for me. In 2003 at 393lbs I embarked on the low carb Atkins journey and I managed to drop 174lbs in 19 months. I was 219lbs and on top of the world and I felt so good I let my guard down and I gained it all back plus another 90. I am not going to get into the whole low carb debate but in short while I was determined and I have great will power it was not a way of life for me long term.

That being said when I started this journey I was asked by my weight center to lose 24lbs preop. I managed to lose 38 and they were over the moon happy about it. My feeling was big deal...

Again, no problem you want me to lose weight I can lose it. Again, not a lifestyle change but merely a diet. I have some pretty excellent will power when it comes to losing weight but long term it is always challenging.

I have posted several times throughout this site that I have a fear of hitting goals because what if I slip back into bad habits like I did before? This is a lifestyle change so in theory that shouldn't happen but when the state of mind plays such a factor it is not easy but it is easy to be concerned. I think back about the Atkins days and compare it with now and I can tell you I have much more control with a lot less effort. I was depriving myself all those years ago and now my band helps me control portions and cravings.

Sorry for rambling. I could write a whole blog on this stuff if the blogs were working :P

Ramble on -- we will look forward to the blog! I hope I was too crabby up above. It's the pre-op day three and hadn't had my shake yet. My family will agree I'm a little grumpier than usual, plus I wonder myself if I'm doing the right thing, etc. YES, I AM! 245 on a 5'6" frame is fat enough. Gee, now I'm yelling with all caps and everything.

I think for some people , the drastic weight loss prior to surgery is the "pre reward" before the lap band. The mind set is in order for me to get the surgery to control my bad eating habits I have to lose a little weight. A 2 week liquid diet is the helper. Trust and believe I am soooo not looking forward to that liquid phase. I know I will drop some weight and I will be happy and I'll probably ask myself "do you think you could have done this on your own?" I already know the answer......NO! I wouldn't be here if I could.

I'm like Bandista. I'm tall and can camouflage my weight. I too am suffering from obesity ills. We all know what yo-yo dieting can do to the heart. I don't want to die early from being fat, or yo-yo dieting adding extra stress to my heart.

Oh and extra plus....I spent 12 years in the Army 1 yr as a Drill Sgt. So what's MY excuse? Child bearing, civilian life and desk jobs have made me a little lazy and depressed with the weight I've gained. We all have our ills.

Much Love Starfish

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Oh, and Starfish, that made my day. Drill Sarge! And don't we carry our weight so well? If any one tells me that in the next ten days I might slap them. But really the liquid phase is not bad at all. I am not hungry, just a little irritable and need to get those shakes in. I think it's the combo of the low caloric intake in tandem with pre-surgery jitters (even minor ones) that make this a little more challenging. Or I'm just moody this week, probably have PMS on top of the usual. Something else to worry about for surgery day!

I understand how people drop a good chunk before surgery, because they're highly motivated to make this life change. But that "high motivation" is just like any other diet we've been on.....IT DOESN'T LAST. As far as comments about being in complete control? Well, we all know the answer to that one :rolleyes:

My pre-op diet was pretty lenient...two weeks on 1,200 calories per day; lower carb & low fat. Did I follow it? Well, I tried, but didn't follow it closely. I probably ate closer to 1400-1500 cal per day, but managed to drop 5 pounds during that time.

Depending on people's age, and how long they've been on this vicious cycle, they might "think" they're in full control, but don't have the number of life years to give them the vantage point where you know from zillions of failed diets, that we're NOT in control. When I was 25 years old, I'd get pretty excited, too.....seeing large amounts of weight coming off, thinking that I had it licked. I haven't sung that tune in a good many years. I'm 58, and know as sure as I'm sitting here typing this, that I will never have it licked, and I will never be cured. The band is my last hope, and so far, so good. But it's not a cure, either. And it concerns me when I hear some people say that since being banded, they'll never be fat again. I say.....think again. Band or no band, it's very easy to get sloppy. And one huge emotional upheaval, could easily dismantle what has been a somewhat smooth road. When I hear people get cocky on this site, I say.....proceed with caution.

I understand how people drop a good chunk before surgery, because they're highly motivated to make this life change. But that "high motivation" is just like any other diet we've been on.....IT DOESN'T LAST. As far as comments about being in complete control? Well, we all know the answer to that one :rolleyes:

My pre-op diet was pretty lenient...two weeks on 1,200 calories per day; lower carb & low fat. Did I follow it? Well, I tried, but didn't follow it closely. I probably ate closer to 1400-1500 cal per day, but managed to drop 5 pounds during that time.

Depending on people's age, and how long they've been on this vicious cycle, they might "think" they're in full control, but don't have the number of life years to give them the vantage point where you know from zillions of failed diets, that we're NOT in control. When I was 25 years old, I'd get pretty excited, too.....seeing large amounts of weight coming off, thinking that I had it licked. I haven't sung that tune in a good many years. I'm 58, and know as sure as I'm sitting here typing this, that I will never have it licked, and I will never be cured. The band is my last hope, and so far, so good. But it's not a cure, either. And it concerns me when I hear some people say that since being banded, they'll never be fat again. I say.....think again. Band or no band, it's very easy to get sloppy. And one huge emotional upheaval, could easily dismantle what has been a somewhat smooth road. When I hear people get cocky on this site, I say.....proceed with caution.

Sorry, but I disagree...I've got this thing licked! As long as the band is there...

I have tried to infulge, and over eat...it is simply impossible for me to do...may be possible for others, but I cannot...

As far as slider foods, people don't realize that a after a few years of eating less, our stomachs shrink! Making it very difficult to over eat on sliders...good old fashioned stuffed- belly ache!

I can drink a beer with no problem....2nd one gets very very difficult.....there was a time I could down a 6 pack....along with a lot of food....but my stomach was large and stretched...no Mas...

Not to forget the band has alleviated all hunger and cravings....so it's not a issue in the first place.

Many people sell this band surgery short and settle for marginal results....I am too aggressive to settle for anything and go for the max....which is exactly what I have....

Sorry for the rant, but like I said...I don't like being maginally successful.

And as long as the band is a constant....I will never be fat again....I read many posts about people gaining weight, and most of the time you read about un-fills due to reflux or something....

I don't have confidence in myself, 35 years of dieting proved that. I know I am not in control....for me the band is not a tool I can choose to use, or not. If anything, the band is in control!

I do gave confidence in the lap band, and from my experience I know what it is capable of....I'm living it everyday.

Sorry, but I disagree...I've got this thing licked! As long as the band is there...

I have tried to infulge, and over eat...it is simply impossible for me to do...may be possible for others, but I cannot...

As far as slider foods, people don't realize that a after a few years of eating less, our stomachs shrink! Making it very difficult to over eat on sliders...good old fashioned stuffed- belly ache!

I can drink a beer with no problem....2nd one gets very very difficult.....there was a time I could down a 6 pack....along with a lot of food....but my stomach was large and stretched...no Mas...

Many people sell this band surgery short and settle for marginal results....I am too aggressive to settle for anything and go for the max....which is exactly what I have....

Sorry for the rant, but like I said...I don't like being maginally successful.

And as long as the band is a constant....I will never be fat again....I read many posts about people gaining weight, and most of the time you read about un-fills due to reflux or something....

I don't have confidence in myself, 35 years of dieting proved that. I know I am not in control....for me the band is not a tool I can choose to use, or not. If anything, the band is in control!

I do gave confidence in the lap band, and from my experience I know what it is capable of....I'm living it everyday.

And I wish you continued success....

And it concerns me when I hear some people say that since being banded, they'll never be fat again. I say.....think again. Band or no band, it's very easy to get sloppy. And one huge emotional upheaval, could easily dismantle what has been a somewhat smooth road. When I hear people get cocky on this site, I say.....proceed with caution.

I agree and for me personally, I have said in the past (referring to my Atkins years) "170 or so pounds gone forever". I will never utter the word forever again. I'd like to think I learned my lesson over the last 10 years and this time it will be different but the word forever almost sounds like a guarantee and one thing we know nothing in life is guaranteed except eventual death.

Everyone's experiences are so different and that what makes everyone's journey unique. I can tell it is different for me. I no longer have cravings and I do not snack. I have not had potato chips or cheez-its in such a long time and they were my go to snack food. Thanks to my band I just no longer want or desire. So I am with B-52's assessment however I am leaning on the side of caution and past personal experience I am afraid to say I have it licked.

B-52 you are doing so awesome bud and I am very happy for you indeed. You've been a good role model/motivator. I appreciate your postings more than you know and I can always take something useful away from each and every one.

I agree and for me personally, I have said in the past (referring to my Atkins years) "170 or so pounds gone forever". I will never utter the word forever again. I'd like to think I learned my lesson over the last 10 years and this time it will be different but the word forever almost sounds like a guarantee and one thing we know nothing in life is guaranteed except eventual death.

I'm so with you, Jim. That's why, even with the band, it takes thought and diligence. Sometimes it's much easier than others. Though the band may be a constant (per B52), what happens in our lives is not. And how many times have we stretched our shrunken stomachs? Let's face it....we're addicts, and and such, can never become too complacent.