Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tightness of Band Changes Day to Day

My band is empty and I am going for my first fill one week from today.

My band has been relatively tight since day one. On some days, like today, my band feels like it is doing its job and I am very satisfied, but other days I am ravenous and have to stop myself from eating too much. i.e. my restriction varies day to day.

Does anyone know why?

Based on what is going on now, I am worried when I start getting fills that some days will be extremely tight and unbearable, whereas other days could be just fine.

Hi Jenny,

We all (mostly) struggle with variances in restriction. Some are tight in the morning and loosen up as the day goes by. Some vary meal to meal, hour by hour etc. Everyone is different.

As for some reasons for why this is happening:

1) Hydration. Your esophagus and stomach is nothing more than tissue cells. When dehydrated the cells are lax. So think of lax tissue, it would create a more narrow passage resulting in increased restriction if there's a stoma. This is why hydration is important. However, that's not possible while sleeping so most of us wake up with tight bands. Rehydrate and slowly introduce foods to work the band.

2. I sort of inferred this already, but if you go long periods between eating. Or if you only eat a small amount one meal and than wait hours before your next meal, the band just may not have been 'used' enough to keep it open. Only suggestion for this one is to ensure you are eating on a regular schedule opposed to some who can go 8+ hrs w/out eating (eeeek).

my doctor wants me to wear a ring. if the ring is tight so is the band. the idea is to eat accordingly.

My band is empty and I am going for my first fill one week from today.

My band has been relatively tight since day one. On some days, like today, my band feels like it is doing its job and I am very satisfied, but other days I am ravenous and have to stop myself from eating too much. i.e. my restriction varies day to day.

Does anyone know why?

Based on what is going on now, I am worried when I start getting fills that some days will be extremely tight and unbearable, whereas other days could be just fine.

Another reason which I have found to have an effect on how tight my band feels is stress. The more stress you may be experiencing, both consciously and sub consciously, the tighter the band can be.

my doctor wants me to wear a ring. if the ring is tight so is the band. the idea is to eat accordingly.

Hmmmm...interesting!

Since being banded, I have lived in both warm and colder climates. In neither area did I ever notice anything approaching a correlation between tightness of any of my rings and feelings of tightness or looseness in my band.

Was your physician referring to a specific type of ring?

no, just a ring. but i opted for the medic-alert Bracelet that is stretchable. i can tell when i am retaining Water with it. her idea about the ring is that ppl that retain water will show it in their fingers first. it sorta alerts me that my band might be tighter and food could get caught. if i was swollen i wouldn't have a nice rib eye steak.

Haha - heard all I need to hear. Gonna tell my boyfriend doc said he has to buy me a ring :) can't argue with a doctor after all :)